Binge eating :(

Options
So for a very long time I have had issues with binge eating. It usually will happen when im upset or stressed out. I was super stressed out because my father was told he had a 52% chance of having cancer, and today he was going to receive his test results. So I was nervous and straight up terrified and immediately wanted food. I gave in and ended up eating waaaaay too much. Now im miserable and feeling so guilty.

In a way though, I am happy this happened. I have been eating well and exercising for over 2 weeks already, so I have been feeling pretty good. But what I did today was something I would have done on a daily basis before I decided to make healthier choices, and today it made me miserable. So I guess now I know how bad I will feel next time if I give into those emotions and eat too much. I don't want to be in that place again. I just wanted to support from others and hopefully hear that I am not the only one who has this issue.

By the way, my father is perfectly healthy and cancer free! :)

Replies

• MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been known to binge eat as well. Binge eat/stress eat/ emotional eat... all the same.
    There's a couple of things that I have been told:
    1) It could be that you aren't eating enough on a regular basis
    2) Try to find another stress release... this could be grabbing an apple and going for a walk- which i find helps me- gets you out of the house.
    3) Talk it out
    Anyways nothing to be ashamed of its pretty common!
    Love,
    Maddie
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is good news about your father's health.
    Get some books by Geneen Roth. She helps with our relationship with food.
  • KMW1219
    KMW1219 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice :)
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone!! I binge when I'm feeling stressed out too and it sucks! But I don't have that much junk around the house anymore so when I do binge nowadays on healthyish foods I get some nutritional benefit out of it lol.
    But yeah if you feel crazy guilty then try squeezing in an extra workout! Or you could create a little calorie deficit along the week to make up for the cals you went over with. i.e. If you went over by 700 calories today you could make your daily calorie goal for the coming week 100 calories less each day then it usually would be? Provided if it's safe to do so of course. And congrats to your father! Fantastic news! :D
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm with you sister <3 It's a daily struggle for me still, but it's one day at a time. I'm happy your dad is okay :smile:
  • KMW1219
    KMW1219 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :)