Gaining Weight 'Cause you don't eat enough...

Options
13»

Replies

• cathleenbowman
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I am gaining b/c I am not eating enough....I know we have to eat 1200 calories per day to keep our bodies from going into starvation mode but I do not understand Net Calories. I noticed that the Net calories are not equaling 1200 calories and I was wondering if that may be the reason I am gaining? I would be thankful for any information and/or explanation of Net vs. Actual calories consumed. Thanks!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    jthalberg wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your support. A few comments:
    1. If you ask 100 people, looks like you get 100 opinions.
    2. "Troll"?? Really? If this is supposed to be a support group to learn and support each other, accuing me of anything besides trying to lear, maybe the 'haters' shoud stop throwing mud!
    3. Thanks for the thoughts on water retention! I'm drinking about 10 glasses a day... really want to get through this transition and I was told this AP would help. Never thought that social media could be so hurtful.
    4. You can ignore my posts if you don't want to be constructive, I'm just trying to learn and share with others. Thank you to those who were constructive.

I am finding the app very helpful for tracking calories and I am learning a lot from the forums. You just hit on a hot topic. When I first started posting I told my husband that people have strong opinions here and he laughed at me. I guess that is true just about anywhere.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    For the record, I didn't flag your post, MrM. I know how that bugs you. o:)

Some of you are making a lot of assumptions on who has what level of experience at what.
    Like making assumptions that the OP is even lifting weights or actively trying to gain muscle. Building muscle doesn't happen by accident.
    So a new exerciser can't gain muscle unless he has the intention to? How does the mental state affect the physiological process?

I didn't tell the OP he did gain muscle, just that it was one possibility. So, no, I didn't make any assumptions about his activity.

I love the opinions but support in the way of links would be even more convincing. :D

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    For the record, I didn't flag your post, MrM. I know how that bugs you. o:)

Some of you are making a lot of assumptions on who has what level of experience at what.
    Like making assumptions that the OP is even lifting weights or actively trying to gain muscle. Building muscle doesn't happen by accident.
    So a new exerciser can't gain muscle unless he has the intention to? How does the mental state affect the physiological process?

I didn't tell the OP he did gain muscle, just that it was one possibility. So, no, I didn't make any assumptions about his activity.

I love the opinions but support in the way of links would be even more convincing. :D
    The OP never mentioned that they lifted weights. But, ok a person can hop on a treadmill and just turn into a muscled hulk since they are a new exerciser
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SkauGirl wrote: »
    Yes, you can. I sent you a message because I don't like the drama these threads tend to breed. Listen to your nutritionist, they have the degree in this stuff :) Good luck!

please explain how the OP defies the laws of physics? I am curious to learn of this magic...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No it's absolutely not gaining muscle. That's almost as dumb as thinking you gain by not eating enough. Do people realize how hard it is to gain muscle? How much proper training needs to be applied? Not just some elliptical work or walking. People don't realize how much food you need to eat. Not some 1000 calorie diet. And lastly how hard it is for woman to gain muscle. It's not just happening by mistake. The people claiming muscle gains clearly have never deliberately attempted to bulk. They're just throwing out random information.

gainz are easy to get bro, everyone knows that…just eat 800 calories a day and pack on the muscle!!!!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't want to start a debate about 'noob gains'. I don't know how anyone knows the OP is not new to exercise but I didn't go read his/her profile, either.

Wow, it's like it's 2012 and I said "Yes, you can eat under your BMR." ;)

You may be able to make noob gains in muscle, but if at a deficit the gains won't show in the scale. Shrug*
    Pretty. Measurable noob gains aren't being made on "poverty calories". Not feeling like debating muscle gains with people who have never actually ran a bulk. Pointless

I am running a bulk, thank you!

I agree measurable noob gains won't be made on a deficit, this is why people saying noob gains is the reason for scale weight increases on a deficit is rediculous! Not sure what I said that you would even want to debate.

In my post this first line was supposed to say pretty much. The word much just didn't type out. As in, I agree with you.

The running of the mouth without actual knowledge of bulking was meant for others in this thread, they know who they are.

:aflowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    This is not really a "support group" in the traditional sense. You will learn that fast. Rarely do you see a thread without one or more people being nasty in it. They really need to give us an ignore function. If there is one, I don't see it. It would help weed out some people...one in particular in this thread is always snarky.

There used to be one. With the "remodel" we seem to have lost that function.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't want to start a debate about 'noob gains'. I don't know how anyone knows the OP is not new to exercise but I didn't go read his/her profile, either.

Wow, it's like it's 2012 and I said "Yes, you can eat under your BMR." ;)

Well, she said she's stepped up her exercise, which implies she's already been exercising. :smile: