Joint pain.. ice or heat?

Options
My knee is hurting after a really amazing work out. I'm not sure if I should use ice or heat... Does anyone know?

Replies

• sparky1514117
    sparky1514117 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For joint pain you should use ice.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on what works for you. For me, a hot pack works better than an ice pack. Try both and see which gives you better relief!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Agree. I go with ice. Frozen peas are awesome for that.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ice for the first few days then heat.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    You can actually do both. 20 minutes of ice followed by 20 mins of heat. I would also take some sort of anti-inflammatory such as motrin or advil as long as you're not taking any other medication.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ICE, always ice a joint!!!!
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ice it. Follow the term RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. After an injury you always want to ice it to keep the inflamation down.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot. i'm icing it now =)
  • onesfun
    onesfun Posts: 11
    Options
    Ibuprofen and an ice pack... not going to suggest heat.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Woah. Ok. I have experienced this same problem in the past. I have talked with the doctors about it and after 23 years of playing soccer I have found what works best for me. First you need to make sure that you are just overexercising your knee and that something isn't truly damaged. After that this is what I do.

If I go for a run and my knee is in pain I will ice it immediately. I also take some advil or aleve to help reverse any swelling. Then later on, prior to bed (about 30 minutes) I will apply heat. This has worked the best. Over the next couple of days if your knee swells up then apply ice and take anti-inflametery medicine to help. But you should also be applying heat later on to relax the tendons and muscles. I hope this helps.
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ice is always better choice. If you dont know, always go with ice...You may have inflammation and heat would only make it worse. If it feels warm to the touch do not use heat.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    Ice for joints, heat for muscles...
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    20 on, 20 off... ICE!

I really should listen to my own advice because my knee has been killing me for a month now =(
  • michelca
    michelca Posts: 41
    Options
    You can ice it for the first 48 hours. If it continues to pain you after that, use heat. Heat it until it is red, hot, and sweaty; this causes any liquid in the joint to dissipate.
  • lisa_love
    lisa_love Posts: 10
    Options
    Natekorpusic, thanks for the detailed reply on this subject... you answered a few ?s that I had too. Lisa
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I use ice.But sometimes I do ice then heat and ice again for while.use what works the best for you
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is -- Never use Heat in the first 48 hours after an injury. After that, alternate Ice and Heat. Always start and end with Ice.
    Alternating helps to drive scar tissue from the site and into your blood stream to eliminate it. Drink lots of water when utilizing this pumping action to diminish headaches brought on by putting this debris into your circulation.