Would you buy a house where a child was allegedly murdered?

Options

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    No no no no no. You all may think I am a nut job but I have lived in a few haunted houses. I would ALWAYS ask before looking at a house to buy, but my last house I forgot. On the real estate web site it was the perfect house for me and my daughter. Totally renovated top to bottom. I would be the first person in after the reno. My daughter and I get moved in and a nosy neighbour comes over to chat and check us out. She proceeds to tell me about the old lady that used to live there. A real hermit woman. To make a long story short the woman died and was dead for 6 weeks before they found her. The mail man called police when he noticed her mail backing up. I had lived in my new house sll of 2 days and I was devastated. I lived there for one year before I put it up for sale. My dog would stare at the wall. She would not go near the basement door. My daughter who didnt know about the dead woman til after we moved out hated her room. It just didnt feel right. Well that's where the lady died.

So no I would not buy that house. My new house has no issues...
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If the price is right, yes.
    I look at it this way. Somewhere along the line, odds are, someone has been murdered there in the past. Being recent makes no difference to me. It's not like you'd be living with the murderer.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    No. Just watched American Horror Story last night. ;) Seriously, it depends on you and your beliefs. I would think twice about it.

Has anyone lived there prior to you and after the child's death?

It just happened a week ago
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    And it's a manufactured home.... Selling for $4000 and it's one that would typically be listed for $15,000 plus
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    I also have 2 children....
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Is this for real? Just hearing this makes my stomach turn. The fact that you are asking makes you unsure. People leave their vibrations everywhere. I would not buy it. You will think of that child every single day you live there. Don't do it.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If everything else was good, I'd take it. However, if it makes you uncomfortable, you'd be getting the creeps all the time in the house, so I wouldn't recommend that you get it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I wouldn't want to live in a house where anyone was murdered.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    Is this for real? Just hearing this makes my stomach turn. The fact that you are asking makes you unsure. People leave their vibrations everywhere. I would not buy it. You will think of that child every single day you live there. Don't do it.

Yes it's for real.... Times are hard right now and we need to move from our house..... We are arranged to close next week on a mobile home for $6300 but it needs work before we can move in... Not being able to hire someone to do it we need to figure it out on our own.... I saw this listing yesterday and it looks so nice on the outside... Then I googled the address and found the news articles.....
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who can't get over the history of things. I can't buy used furniture without meeting and getting to know the people who owned it. I've only bought or built new homes since being on my own because I can't handle the unknown history. Antique shops freak me out. So, no. But most people aren't as nuts as I am, so there's probably no logical reason not to.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Jaymie,
    If you have anxiety now- it will get worse in that house and the neighbors kids will tell your kids and maybe the kids will be shunned
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live in a place knowing something so tragic happened there.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Considering that people die every day and there's no spot of land on this planet where someone or something hasn't died, I wouldn't worry about that part at all. I would be more concerned about the area and the general crime rate.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Quiet neighborhood and in my price range? You bet. I'd smudge and cleanse it thoroughly before moving in, but yeah. Especially if you're in a "have to move asap" situation. I mean, you can keep looking but you may have to resign yourself to it anyway... Unless there's a history of violence (which you said there wasn't) then it's not the house's fault.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    if it was otherwise perfect and at a good price just because of the murder, yes i'd buy it, don't care. there are so many real things that could be wrong with a house. this isn't a real thing, unless it was a stranger who broke into the house and killed the person. sounds like it was someone they knew though, so i would feel perfectly safe.
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, i found a perfect home for me and my two sons over ten years ago, i just adored it!...made an offer and it was accepted. My lawyer discovered the young couple had not been getting on, and she said that it was over and went to stay with her mother for a few days...the guy hung himself from the loft, and she found him.
    I knew instinctively that i couldn't live there, and i pulled out.
    I ended up with a house i wasn't passionate about, but i could sleep at night. All these years later, i still feel i done the right thing
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think if the price was good and so was the neighbourhood, then I would consider it as bringing happiness into that home/neighbourhood after tragedy has struck. I would feel like I was helping, by moving there. You can honour the child by planting a tree in her name, and donating to charities that help protect children from such circumstances.

If you have ever lived in an old building surely someone has died there previously. If you have ever been in a hospital bed I guarantee someone has died in that bed too. My daughter died while I lived in this apartment, and I would feel upset if someone didn't want to live here after me because my tragedy 'freaks them out'. The dead child is not cursed, I am not cursed, and the home is not cursed.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I'd buy it and put the little ghost to work on Halloween!
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For 4k I'd buy it and sell it at 3/4 the market value of 15k. Then turn around and use the profit to have a smaller or no mtg at my new house.

Would I live in it. No
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Nope, nuh uh, never, ever.