Feel like vomiting after working out?

Options
After I do my cardio I feel like vomiting, I do 60mins of power walking on the treadmill, this is an hour and a half after Lunch, after my Cardio I have my afternoon snack, a light cappuccino and an atkins snack bar, half an hour later I felt like vomiting.
Have you any insight to this, I hate feeling sick.

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible that you're reacting badly to the artificial ingredients in the atkins bar. I understand the desire both for something sweet and something convenient, but possibly more whole foods would make you less ill.

I'm... dubious of incorporating what is essentially a candy bar into my diet, myself. Those bars in particular do give me terrible gas.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat some nuts instead
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Being nauseated after working out is often caused by dehydration. Are you drinking enough water?
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a personal trainer that you know that you have worked out hard enough to feel like puking. Push your limits!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I only felt nauseated when I took a year off of working out and got back on the saddle. First workouts always made me feel this way.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I sometimes felt nauseated after working out - I did 20 mins running on the treadmill and then my lifting routine. Especially if the room was warmer than usual, I had to leave or I was gonna puke. Definitely up your water intake!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    marykator1 wrote: »
    I've been told by a personal trainer that you know that you have worked out hard enough to feel like puking. Push your limits!
    I've been training off and on my whole life, took up lifting 3 years ago, push myself hard, currently 6x per week, but never felt the need to do something stupid like this. If you are actually paying this trainer, fire him/her, invest in a decent heart rate monitor, and work on your heart rate zones. At least that's safer than getting to a point where you have to throw up.
    OP: Try eating a light snack before workout. Maybe a piece of banana and some milk or fruit juice. Hydrate during your workout, and have the rest of the banana and maybe a protein shake or yogurt after. Personally, caffeine will upset my stomach after training (I already take a pre-workout supplement, that contains a ton of it), and I usually wait a bit before I have another coffee.

Happy training!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd skip your snack or change it up and see if it still does it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

um no.... The only time I felt like I was going to vomit is when I ate too much right before working out.

I am a high intensity girl and I go hard.... In cardio classes my heart rate stays between 165-199 with the average being 180 and I'm 38 which means according to the not so accurate MHR calculators my max heart rate is 172. I also go hard while lifting.

So if someone told me that I wasn't working hard enough because I wasn't vomiting I would laugh in their faces. That is so not true.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

um no.... The only time I felt like I was going to vomit is when I ate too much right before working out.

I am a high intensity girl and I go hard.... In cardio classes my heart rate stays between 165-199 with the average being 180 and I'm 38 which means according to the not so accurate MHR calculators my max heart rate is 172. I also go hard while lifting.

So if someone told me that I wasn't working hard enough because I wasn't vomiting I would laugh in their faces. That is so not true.

Always thought that reaction was a bit more common when you're out of shape
  • h7463
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

While getting sick during or after a workout can happen more often to beginners, and might happen under special circumstances to everybody, there is nothing 'common' about it. NEVER EVER! Training should be hard enough to promote steady progress, but it should never make you miserable and sick. There is some trial and error in this, but it's a process, and a learning experience about how much the individual body can tolerate. Enjoy the journey.

Train safe!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »

While getting sick during or after a workout can happen more often to beginners, and might happen under special circumstances to everybody, there is nothing 'common' about it. NEVER EVER! Training should be hard enough to promote steady progress, but it should never make you miserable and sick. There is some trial and error in this, but it's a process, and a learning experience about how much the individual body can tolerate. Enjoy the journey.

Train safe!

Uh yeah, "more often" "common" tomayto tomahto
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Being nauseated after working out is often caused by dehydration. Are you drinking enough water?

Exactly what I thought. Try to have an extra cup or two of water before working out (so you're hydrated going into your workout) then sip at water during your cardio.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's possible the coffee is the culprit. It's very acidic, and might be too much on your empty stomach. Maybe water and some other post workout snack (nuts, peanut butter, chocolate milk, etc.) and skip the coffee for a while and see if that helps.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I started taking some really tough exercise classes after being sedentary for months and months, I did have a few times where I had to stop and walk around because I felt like I was going to throw up (or pass out! or both!) - I didn't know what I was doing, so I had no idea what 'pushing myself' actually meant. I was exhausting myself before getting even halfway through the class. After a few classes I learned to pace myself so I wasn't on the verge of puking, then after awhile I built up some endurance so I was able to fully participate for the whole class without any nausea. It shouldn't be the goal every class/workout.

BUT, as to the OP, I would say maybe try a different snack combination? The caffeine or the atkins bar might be irritating your stomach, that seems different from the "oh man I've worked out SO HARD Imma puke!" kind of feeling that someone may have during a workout. Does it happen if you don't have a snack?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

This is my thoughts as well. The caffeine may exasperate the problem.

If you are eating an Adkins bar, is it because you are on a lower carb diet? These can cause dehydration if you don't stay I top of your water and electrolyte balance!

• h7463
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »

Train safe!

Uh yeah, "more often" "common" tomayto tomahto
    In my opinion, it's not really the same. 'Common' in training is something that's generally expected, like muscle soreness after lifting.
    Throwing up is an accident. Accidents happen 'more often' to beginners, because they don't know their bodies' response to exercise just yet, and might be unable to slow down in time to avoid it from happening.
    Not trying to be picky here. Maybe this explains my post a bit better. :)
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    don't eat after working out....eat something light 2hrs before & lots of water
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Drink more water
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    After I do my cardio I feel like vomiting, I do 60mins of power walking on the treadmill, this is an hour and a half after Lunch, after my Cardio I have my afternoon snack, a light cappuccino and an atkins snack bar, half an hour later I felt like vomiting.
    Have you any insight to this, I hate feeling sick.
    I would feel nauseated in the middle of working out and could not figure out why. Now, before working out, I make sure I have a few bites of my breakfast. That's all it took.

It sounds like you've eaten lunch plenty of time before your workout.

I wonder if you save you afternoon snack for an hour or so after workout you might be fine. Maybe drink plenty of water after too. Could be dehydration.

Or, is your snack too big after your workout? Maybe less?

Or, perhaps there's an ingredient in your Atkins bar that is bugging your stomach.