Garmin calorie counter vs MFP calorie counter

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm 35 days in and I'm hoping someone can help me? I bought a Garmin vivofit/heartmonitor pack to help track myself more accurately on MFP. The problem is the MFP seems to think I'm far more active then Garmin does. When I sync, MFP always gives me extra calories I can use based on the info it gets from the vivofit projected calorie burn. Hence, according to MFP, I'm always generally under my allowed calories but according to Garmin I'm almost always over. Which one is correct? Is Garmin underestimating or is MFP over estimating and how do I get them to be "on the same page"? Appreciate any feedback

Replies

• ruffin04rhodes
    ruffin04rhodes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Garmin user..(i own a 620 watch and vivofit w/hm). My experience with MFP is they're estimates for calories burned are way to excessive. I trust the Garmin much more than MFP.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm also a Garmin user..(i own a 620 watch and vivofit w/hm). My experience with MFP is they're estimates for calories burned are way to excessive. I trust the Garmin much more than MFP.
    This. I found MFP was way too generous. I always go with my Garmin.

• NewMeowLean
    Options
    Not the subject, but do you Garmin users find Garmin accurate? I am thinking of buying one.
  • ruffin04rhodes
    ruffin04rhodes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To more accurately measure calorie burn with a Garmin device (or any other for that matter) you need a heart rate monitor. It provides a more realistic assessment of your calorie burn. However, please understand that these devices are only estimates...but are more accurate than MFP.
  • hollypop11211
    Options
    Thanx Guys! I am/have been using the heart rate monitor for workouts, but my problem is the calorie adjustment it creates based on the info it gets from the garmin when I sync. guess ill un-sync them and just manually enter the workout calories.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Even the HRM will tend to overestimate, but it's more accurate than the guesses that MFP makes for exercise.