I'm underweight but my stomach looks big?

Options

Replies

• sarawr66
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sarawr66 wrote: »
    yvesklein wrote: »
    Hey sweet pea, ignore the idiot haters on here. First off, your body is beautiful and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Secondly, if you'd like to change the shape of any body part you need to develop some muscle mass. I recommend increasing your weight training to 3-4xs per week for a beginner and don't be afraid to lift a little heavier. It won't make you get "bulky" but help tone up a trouble spot. Putting weight on your abdominal exercises will really make a difference too. Heavy "russian twists" can really help change the shape of your tummy. Google "weighted abdominal exercises" and see what you think.

Hope that helps. <3

Thank you so much :) all I was asking for was help, so thank you a lot for that. :) I've started to do more weight training as well so hopefully I'll start to see some results in a month or two :) I'll definitely up my weights as well!
    Lol. Of all the advice you take, it's that one.

I love you MFP

I was taking into account the advice everyone was giving me. I was just happy to see somebody act nicer towards me rather than tell me about my "body dysmorphia" or "eating disorder". I have neither of those. Yes I am self-conscious, as is almost every other woman on the planet. No I do not need help. I am fully aware I am not fat or large, I meant that for the way the rest of my body looks my stomach sticks out a lot. Yes I now know I need to improve my posture and add more weight training into my routine. I'm just sick of rude comments and rude people. I made this post to ask for help not to be spoken rudely to.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Some ballet classes or barre work, yoga, and/or Pilates will help your posture greatly. These programs will also strengthen your core muscles which are contributing to the poor posture.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Stand up straight. You don't have a fat stomach. That's called body dysmorphia.

At 5'8" 113 lbs you are most definitely underweight.

Yeah this.

Why are you eating low calories...surely you don't want to lose more weight??!

Lift weights to build muscle.

• sarawr66
    Options
    Hey sweet pea, ignore the idiot haters on here. First off, your body is beautiful and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Secondly, if you'd like to change the shape of any body part you need to develop some muscle mass. I recommend increasing your weight training to 3-4xs per week for a beginner and don't be afraid to lift a little heavier. It won't make you get "bulky" but help tone up a trouble spot. Putting weight on your abdominal exercises will really make a difference too. Heavy "russian twists" can really help change the shape of your tummy. Google "weighted abdominal exercises" and see what you think.

Hope that helps. <3

Thank you so much :) all I was asking for was help, so thank you a lot for that. :) I've started to do more weight training as well so hopefully I'll start to see some results in a month or two :) I'll definitely up my weights as well!

I love you MFP

I was taking into account the advice everyone was giving me. I was just happy to see somebody act nicer towards me rather than tell me about my "body dysmorphia" or "eating disorder". I have neither of those. Yes I am self-conscious, as is almost every other woman on the planet. No I do not need help. I am fully aware I am not fat or large, I meant that for the way the rest of my body looks my stomach sticks out a lot. Yes I now know I need to improve my posture and add more weight training into my routine. I'm just sick of rude comments and rude people. I made this post to ask for help not to be spoken rudely to.

Wrong on all counts.

Excuse me?
  • sarawr66
    Options

Yeah this.

I eat 1600-1800 after taking into account the 300 I burn. So really I'm eating 1900- 2100 calories in a day. I really can't eat more without eating unhealthy, I have tried and my body has a hard time handling more food. Like I'm not hungry enough to eat more than that.
  • sarawr66
    Options
    Some ballet classes or barre work, yoga, and/or Pilates will help your posture greatly. These programs will also strengthen your core muscles which are contributing to the poor posture.

Awesome thanks :) the gym I go to offers yoga so I'll look into that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your stomach does not look big, at all. I agree that dance/yoga/pilates are good for your core and posture. I'm a dancer. But, I also lift heavy weights. I recommend that.
  • sarawr66
    Options
    Your stomach does not look big, at all. I agree that dance/yoga/pilates are good for your core and posture. I'm a dancer. But, I also lift heavy weights. I recommend that.

Awesome thanks :) I used to do belly dance but its not offered here anymore. I've been lifting heavy weights as well for about a week now :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Awesome thanks :) I used to do belly dance but its not offered here anymore. I've been lifting heavy weights as well for about a week now :)

Great. I saw some effect after two weeks of lifting (probably a muscle pump). Even more after two months. Excellent progress after 6 months. And then continuing progress after that. I like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. You should eat at maintenance at least, maybe a bit more for a little while.

• sarawr66
    Options

Great. I saw some effect after two weeks of lifting (probably a muscle pump). Even more after two months. Excellent progress after 6 months. And then continuing progress after that. I like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. You should eat at maintenance at least, maybe a bit more for a little while.

Awesome :) I'll look into that! I currently eat 1900-2100 calories in a day but I also do 30 minutes of cardio a day. So I burn around 300 calories of that so my body is only holding onto 1600-1800. I find that if I eat more than that I end up making myself feel sick because I'm just not hungry enough to eat more.

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "Sticking out or not" is not a matter of opinion or taste, it's a matter of geometry. It does not stick out. It is perfectly flat, except that your spine that is curved a little bit. Now, whether you like this or not, or whether you'd prefer to have a concave stomach, is a different story.

But the fact IS that there is no sticking out, no bulge, bump, shape or anything on your stomach. That's what OUR eyes see. We are neutral, we don't know you, and have ZERO interest in lying to you.

I am just writing this to explain some people's reaction and comments, which I think may have offended you. But understand that based on the pictures and your post, you have a distorted view of your stomach. No one here can confirm it's dysmorphia, but how do you explain the fact that you see something that does not show on these pictures ?

Or should WE all see an optometrist?

Do yourself a favour: don't dismiss the harsher comments just because they are unpleasant. Talk to your health professional about this particular stomach issue and see what he has to say.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yeah this.

I eat 1600-1800 after taking into account the 300 I burn. So really I'm eating 1900- 2100 calories in a day. I really can't eat more without eating unhealthy, I have tried and my body has a hard time handling more food. Like I'm not hungry enough to eat more than that.

The way you are eating now is unhealthy if you are the weight and height you say you are. There is no such thing as unhealthy food (certainly you can have an unhealthy diet). The way you are eating now means your body will burn fat and muscle (and effect bone density) and won't help with the area you're not happy with.

You have added weights to your routine, great, now add a calorie surplus - this will allow you to build some muscle which after cutting (sometimes without) should make your waist trimmer. Your stomach looks great to me by the way but there's nothing wrong with improvements.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Hope that helps. <3

I love you MFP

You do have body dysmorphia. I don't know enough about you to know if you have an eating disorder, but we are the same height and you are seriously underweight, which usually means eating disorder.

Not every woman on this planet is self-conscious. I built an amazing body and love it. I don't care what others think of it, that's their business not mine.

Your stomach would look better if you increased calories and started lifting.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Your belly looks fine. Bloating throughout the day is normal. If you eat, your belly is going to occasionally poke out. It is more noticeable in those of us who are thin or skinny. I honestly would not worry about it. You can take some of the advice given, and it may help a little. But if you eat, your belly is going to occasionally poke out. It just means you're human.
  • sarawr66
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Hope that helps. <3

I love you MFP

You do have body dysmorphia. I don't know enough about you to know if you have an eating disorder, but we are the same height and you are seriously underweight, which usually means eating disorder.

Not every woman on this planet is self-conscious. I built an amazing body and love it. I don't care what others think of it, that's their business not mine.

Your stomach would look better if you increased calories and started lifting.

I don't believe I have body dysmorphia. And I do not have an eating disorder as I'm eating the recommended calories for my height

I didn't mean that all women are, I meant that its pretty normal to be a little self-conscious. I'm glad you're proud of your body :) mine doesn't look how I want it to yet, and I'm trying to work hard to get there.

I have started lifting but it makes me sick to eat more calories. Like I end up feeling bloated and gross if my net calories are more than 2100. (I burn around 300 a day with cardio . Thanks for the advice though!
  • sarawr66
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Yeah this.

The way you are eating now is unhealthy if you are the weight and height you say you are. There is no such thing as unhealthy food (certainly you can have an unhealthy diet). The way you are eating now means your body will burn fat and muscle (and effect bone density) and won't help with the area you're not happy with.

You have added weights to your routine, great, now add a calorie surplus - this will allow you to build some muscle which after cutting (sometimes without) should make your waist trimmer. Your stomach looks great to me by the way but there's nothing wrong with improvements.

I eat really clean and I really prefer to stay away from unhealthy foods. I do eat enough calories in a day for my height though, and maybe I could use a little more while I'm lifting weights but I end up feeling sick and bloated if I eat too much.
    Thanks so much for the advice :)

• sarawr66
    Options
    "Sticking out or not" is not a matter of opinion or taste, it's a matter of geometry. It does not stick out. It is perfectly flat, except that your spine that is curved a little bit. Now, whether you like this or not, or whether you'd prefer to have a concave stomach, is a different story.

But the fact IS that there is no sticking out, no bulge, bump, shape or anything on your stomach. That's what OUR eyes see. We are neutral, we don't know you, and have ZERO interest in lying to you.

I am just writing this to explain some people's reaction and comments, which I think may have offended you. But understand that based on the pictures and your post, you have a distorted view of your stomach. No one here can confirm it's dysmorphia, but how do you explain the fact that you see something that does not show on these pictures ?

Or should WE all see an optometrist?

Do yourself a favour: don't dismiss the harsher comments just because they are unpleasant. Talk to your health professional about this particular stomach issue and see what he has to say.

Thank you :) I just prefer it if people don't try to diagnose me with things. I guess I am just harsher on myself because it's my own body and I want to improve it. But if my issue with myself persists I will talk to a health professional about it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, you are underweight. You look very slim. No big tummy at all. Technically you really should at least try to gain 8 pounds or so. You can talk to your own doctor for personalized advice on that based on your frame, genetics, and personal history.

Also, I have had issues with body dysmorphia, so I understand that. But, I didn't know that was what was going on when i was younger. I was also very focused on my tummy and perceived bloating.
  • sarawr66
    Options
    Yeah, you are underweight. You look very slim. No big tummy at all. Technically you really should at least try to gain 8 pounds or so. You can talk to your own doctor for personalized advice on that based on your frame, genetics, and personal history.

Also, I have had issues with body dysmorphia, so I understand that. But, I didn't know that was what was going on when i was younger. I was also very focused on my tummy and perceived bloating.

Yeah I know I've been trying to gain weight! I started eating higher calorie foods along with heavy weights and so far I've gained 3lbs!!

I will talk to someone about it, I just thought it would be odd for me to have body dysmorphia. I'm an artist, and amazing with proportions (not to toot my own horn) so I assumed that I saw myself at proportion as well.