Does Anyone Have Experience Using A Manual Treadmill?

Options
EmbraceFlow
EmbraceFlow Posts: 19 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I spent 2 weeks out of state with my dad and of course he had a treadmill. I used it just about everyday and fell in love. At home I have a lot of weight lifting equipment but nothing for cardio. I saw how nicely my body slimmed in just those 2 weeks and now I want to buy a treadmill so I can use it during the weekdays. I don't want it to take up too much space in my household. I've been looking and researching online and found that the smallest treadmill you can get is a manual treadmill. The only problem is I've never used a manual treadmill before let alone heard of one until recently.
I would just like to know from some people with experience in using a manual treadmill if I can actually use this as a tool to drop weight as I could with a electric treadmill or would I be better off investing in a electric treadmill.

Replies

• LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Awful...awful, save your money buy an electric one.
  • EmbraceFlow
    Options
    albalegume wrote: »
    Why is it awful?
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    they make me sad.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a manual they are junk. If you are looking to save space, buy one an electric one with the running deck that folds up to the handlebars. Proforma has one. Electric has various programs to give you a variety of workouts, tells you calories burned, miles, time etc.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I use a 'Curve' manual treadmill at the gym and like it, but would highly recommend spending some time on one before buying, and they are quite pricy. I'm not sure if it's the type of treadmill you are referring to, though, it is fairly large. You can see it here: Curve
  • EmbraceFlow
    Options
    I had a manual they are junk. If you are looking to save space, buy one an electric one with the running deck that folds up to the handlebars. Proforma has one. Electric has various programs to give you a variety of workouts, tells you calories burned, miles, time etc.

I'm going to take your advice and run with it. The fact that a manual treadmill's performance is based off of your own momentum is very unsettling to me lol.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    To me the only thing a manual treadmill is good for is when you're doing HIIT intervals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why can't you go outside and run?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No, but I have had a root canal done
  • EmbraceFlow
    Options
    I use a 'Curve' manual treadmill at the gym and like it, but would highly recommend spending some time on one before buying, and they are quite pricy. I'm not sure if it's the type of treadmill you are referring to, though, it is fairly large. You can see it here: Curve
    I was refering to this type of treadmill
    from Walmart because I can easily return it if I hate it lol.
    But the one you posted actually looks pretty awesome. Does it have a motor? that's not what I'm referring to.
  • EmbraceFlow
    Options
    why can't you go outside and run?
    Because I have horrible skin allergies. I can only stay outside for under a hour before I break out in hives...otherwise I'd do it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I was refering to this type of treadmill
    from Walmart because I can easily return it if I hate it lol.
    But the one you posted actually looks pretty awesome. Does it have a motor? that's not what I'm referring to.

No motor at all. I like it because it's easier on my cracking, grinding knees. I can't run otherwise. But it's not small, as I said.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Better yet save your money and use the asphalt street outside if you can. Treadmills are a great start if you haven't had experience, but really not the same benefits as running on solid ground.

*I didn't see you had allergies in outside climate, yes just go with the electric.
  • EmbraceFlow
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Better yet save your money and use the asphalt street outside if you can. Treadmills are a great start if you haven't had experience, but really not the same benefits as running on solid ground.

*I didn't see you had allergies in outside climate, yes just go with the electric.

Thank you for your help. I'm going to get the pink electric treadmill http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DONG2FC/ref=pe_80060_125528370_pe_epc__1p_6_ti
    since the reviews say it's for short people like myself and saves plenty of room.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Jane Fonda manual treadmill at the thrift store for $15. It's awesome! Yeah, it's not a normal treadmill for sure. It's more of a workout. And I wouldn't recommend it if you have terrible joints. But, for a workout in winter, it's really good. I lubed up the deck under the belt with some silicone lubricant (per the instruction manual I found online, after I quit laughing at her outfit), and it's sorta like walking in the sand, is the closest thing I can describe it to. I have a Bodymedia, and I burn about 10 calories a minute on it, versus around 5 or 6 doing normal walking. (although I can only do about 15 minutes at a time, and I have to take a break because it's TIRING).

But, I vote, if you can pick up a cheapy one somewhere, give it a shot! Mine folds up and can slide under the bed. It even has a display that still works (AND a tape deck lol).