How often do you weigh in

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every damn day. I'm a reformed scaleaholic.

Scale fluctuations are sooo common. It goes up and down all the time. Sometimes it shows losses and then jumps back up and stays there. The scale giveth and the scale taketh away!

Get used to fluctuations. If it's under five pounds, don't give it a second thought.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Every sunday morning. After my work week is over and my body has a chance to heal from being on my feet all day all week. I weigh first thing in the morning, after bathroom break. before shower before eating, and in the same spot , i dont move the scale around. And Nekkid. :) Your weight fluctuates daily. Ive seen 4 lbs put on overnight and 8 lbs lost overnight. Go with what works for you. Some people are obsessed with the numbers on the scale and it makes or breaks their progress. My roomie does it once a month. She knows shes doing what she needs to. good luck!
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Daily but I really only pay attention to when I see losses and record those trends.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 10 days (I am a part of a group that logs weight loss by 10 days, normally I do weekly). When I weighed daily I got discouraged, to the point of quitting... My set loss is by the week, so why should I weigh daily?
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i weigh ever day, in the morning after i use the bathroom. i log if i lose
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks just for accuracy.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much every day but I only log losses. I consider Friday's my official weigh in and measurement day. I COMPLETEY ignore any gains that the scale shows because at my deficit I know that there is no possible way that I "gained weight". If I cared about water weight fluctuations I would go so insane so fast.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Once every few days. I think weighing every single day is just plain nutty
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month, on the first day of the last weekend of the month. I don't eat or drink anything until I have my morning purge, then I weigh and have breakfast.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I weigh daily without really looking at the number, as it's logged to Fitbit automatically (Aria wifi scale) so I can log in there and review when I feel like it. I only pay attention and log here on Sundays as it's at least one full day after my last weight session so any water retention should be gone making it the closest to my actual change for the week.

I do make exceptions when I'm close to a milestone. Like last Monday, I hit a stone (14lb) loss and it felt good to reach that, so I logged an extra loss that week to have it on my MFP history.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I weigh usually once a week, same time same day.... and i only ever use the analog manual scales (where you move the weighed thing in front of you) at the gym, mid afternoon before a workout ... i hardly ever use my home scales - i dont know why but i dont trust them! haha.
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Daily, first thing after I get up and have been to the bathroom. I can deal with the daily ups and downs, I (don't like but) understand them.. but for me, weighing in once a week would drive me crazy due to potentially retaining water on my weigh in day, having eaten a lot of food the night before, whatever.

Daily keeps me sane, and on track and that's what it's about.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I just do it on bank holidays.....
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Everyday, my weight fluctuates too much with water retention and if I had a 'heavy' day on my weigh in I would be down hearted.
    If I weigh and record every day I can see the trend.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    Nearly every day - log irrespective of whether it went up or down and watch the graph trend down.

Same. I like to see the fluctuations and I'm learning not to overreact which is important. The weekly weighing causes me a bit of anxiety.
  • svpracer
    Options
    every morning before my shower. I do not take it to heart though. I have seen as much as a 7lb swing in 24hrs in both directions. Its mostly habit.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    WildOkapi wrote: »
    I weigh myself 1-4 times a day and I officially 'check in' on MFP on the 15th of each month.

That's a bit excessive lol - do you mean a week?!

Weight varies quite a bit day to day due to many factors including water retention, glycogen and what's in your belly at the time of weighing.

Best thing to do is pick a setting and replicate that once a week then record. So for instance a setting would be your living room first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You then have to replicate that every time you weigh. Ideally weigh without any clothes to get real accurate.

To see accurate trends use something like hack diet.

Good luck.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and log it on fitbit (which I have synced up with trendweight). With that I'm able to see the daily fluctuations to look at what foods to cut down on. I weigh myself first thing in the morning right after using the bathroom.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Since starting T25 I've swapped from monthly to weekly (STATurday) and I prefer it, losing weight always motivates me to continue and a month was just too much of a gap.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    DapperKay wrote: »
    WildOkapi wrote: »
    I weigh myself 1-4 times a day and I officially 'check in' on MFP on the 15th of each month.

That's a bit excessive lol - do you mean a week?!

Weight varies quite a bit day to day due to many factors including water retention, glycogen and what's in your belly at the time of weighing.

Best thing to do is pick a setting and replicate that once a week then record. So for instance a setting would be your living room first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You then have to replicate that every time you weigh. Ideally weigh without any clothes to get real accurate.

To see accurate trends use something like hack diet.

Good luck.

Actually I weigh 1-3 times a day as well. It was a really great way for me to learn the way my body fluctuated throughout the day and to find the most accurate reading. I learned that if I weighed my self even 2 hours earlier every day it would read that I lost no weight or gained water weight, it wouldn't show a single loss, but at my IDEAL weigh time 2 hours later it shows steady decline. I never would have known that if I had randomly picked a weigh in time.