Gave up sugar (added sugar) feel great for it

Options
Well I'm not amazing right now coz I'm sick but I gave up things with added sugar entirely about 3 months ago, plus I stopped eating red meat 1 and a half months ago and haven't eaten fast food since primary school coz I hate the taste. I feel more energetic however I allow myself to eat sugar 10 days in the year and I make sure I follow through after awhile you don't even miss it it's the first 2-4 weeks that are hardest now I don't look back!!!

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow, how cool is that? I haven't given up sugar. I'm still into my sugar, I like my cookies and ice cream and the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

BTW: What do you mean by added sugar? You mean sugar in your tea or coffee or cookies and ice cream?
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    Yeah that's great it may not be for everyone but it works for me and like I said I allow myself it 10 days in the year :) makes it more special when I do have it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any fruits or veggies?
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

yeah obs I eat fruit and veggies I said added sugar as in extra, sugar in fruit and veggies is natural sugar
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All sugar is natural sugar.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. There is no difference. Some fruits can contain more sugar than candy bars.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have not given up added sugar (and I don't ever plan to - can't see why I would need to), but I have given up sugar in my tea just because I like it both ways so why not drink it without sugar and use those extra calories to make my oatmeal extra sweet?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It seems she means sugar naturally occurring in a product by "natural." She will eat strawberries but not strawberries with cane sugar sprinkled on. She will eat peanut butter that is just peanuts and salt.

If she finds it too restrictive, she can try something else next time.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cut out refined sugar once. But life was too difficult. Good for you for sticking to it :#
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I always add trivia to my coffee in the morning and was using french vanilla cream, switched the french vanilla cream to heavy cream to save carbs. Now I gave up both the trivia and the heavy cream and use a little of a EAS advantage vanilla shake. I drink the rest for a fast breakfast day. .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um- why?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hey if it works for you , great. I haven't given up any sugar and I'm doing just fine, in fact, I wouldn't have stuck to this if I had to cut out food groups. Tried before and it was a miserable failure.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So OP, what do you eat? Can you open your diary?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I think overall sustainability and adherence to one's diet is key.

Getting your proper nutrients is important for overall health but after those needs are met, it's up to the individual how to fill in the gaps.

For me, I love sugar. All of it. I feel the same way not eating my ice cream every day as I do without it. You have to accept some of the "feel better" is a placebo affect. Surely, getting better nutrition aids as well but cutting something out, outside of allergies or intolerance is unnecessary for weight loss or even overall health, assuming one is getting proper nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.

I feel good eating foods in moderation and not giving up things. I don't particularly like fast food so don't eat it, but I don't have a rule prohibiting it. And I see no reason to avoid ice cream and red meat, so long as I eat them in the context of a balanced diet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only sugar I've given up is in full-calorie soda. Everything else I'll consume in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you. For those who've done it, you know how it feels. For me, years ago I said no more than 3 grams of added sugar in anything. Best decision I made.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'd assume yes, since she specifically said ADDED sugar.

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have done this a few times and you're right-- I never feel better than when I've kicked the sugar habit.

That said, it makes it so difficult to eat out, so I've found that it isn't sustainable for me (if I'm going out to eat I want something other than a salad with oil and vinegar, dammit!). I compromise by not buying any groceries with added sugar or using sugar in my baking.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Um- why?

I don't know her reason, but limiting added sugar for someone with a smaller calorie budget can help with adherence and allow her to eat more food than she could incorporating treats on the regular. Most of the time, I'd rather just not keep treats around and not have to make choices each day about getting a treat in and how to do that while still feeling full and meeting my nutrition goals. When I want a treat more than I want to avoid calorie gymnastics, I get a treat.
This discussion has been closed.