Whey Protein for general fitness

Options
I just purchased the Optimum Whey protein shake and I just want to know if it's good for weight loss, I'm 5'10 213lbs

How should I use it?
tell me anything you know. thanksss

Replies

• mcwrap525
    Options
    I play basketball almost everyday and use bike.
  • elpmapua
    elpmapua Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    more likely, you don't need it yet. it helps get you more protein without much carbs. For every 30 g or 1 scoop, 24 g of it is protein, he rest are carbs and sugar.

If you could get yourself to eat chicken and other meat, you don't really need it yet. You need some serious workouts before you could use it well. Otherwise, it's just an expensive meal replacement.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    I'm trying to do a More protein less carbs diet cause that's what my uncle said and It works fast and I really do need to lose weight asap my target is 190lbs. oh and my recommended protein intake is 136g
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No it won't help you lose weight. It's simply a nutritional supplement to increase protein intake.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is your uncle a doctor?

It all comes down to calories in vs calories out.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    No he's a marine general.

My calorie deficit is almost at 1600 based from the app.
    and I never skipped any meal.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Your deficit is at that or that is how much you need to eat?

Protein shakes really are not needed. Unless you have diabetes or pre diabetes, carbs are not the enemy either.
  • elpmapua
    Options
    mcwrap525 wrote: »
    I'm trying to do a More protein less carbs diet cause that's what my uncle said and It works fast and I really do need to lose weight asap my target is 190lbs. oh and my recommended protein intake is 136g

well, I hope it's a ketogenic diet i.e. less than 30 g of carbs per day, and not just less carbs. Furthermore, I hope you find yourself a very intense workout. Protein shakes, especially ON whey tastes so good. They're more of post-workout meal. I treat them as reward for working out hard. And since they're in powder form, bro science says they're readily digested for the so-called 1 hour anabolic window.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    2180 calories is what I need to take for a day, I just got 1623 for today cause of the exercises I did today.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    elpmapua wrote: »

well, I hope it's a ketogenic diet i.e. less than 30 g of carbs per day, and not just less carbs. Furthermore, I hope you find yourself a very intense workout. Protein shakes, especially ON whey tastes so good. They're more of post-workout meal. I treat them as reward for working out hard. And since they're in powder form, bro science says they're readily digested for the so-called 1 hour anabolic window.

I'm gonna drink it 4 times a day, cause 1 scoop is 32g and I need 136 so maybe 1 in the morning another for 1 lunch and 1 pre work out and 1 post, you think it's a good Idea? I'm just a beginner so I'm gonna need a lot of help.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • elphie754
    Options
    So you only plan on drinking the shake?
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

yeah and work out too.
  • elpmapua
    Options
    If money is not an issue for you - I heard protein shakes are pretty cheap there in the US, then go ahead.

I don't know what you'll mix with the shake, that's where carbs could creep in. Anyway, there are two books about ketogenic diets you might want to check out.

Carb Nite Solution by John Kiefer and
    Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

As for your post, real food is preferable, but try your plan then analyze your results. You could adjust afterwards.

I'm gonna drink it 4 times a day, cause 1 scoop is 32g and I need 136 so maybe 1 in the morning another for 1 lunch and 1 pre work out and 1 post, you think it's a good Idea? I'm just a beginner so I'm gonna need a lot of help.

• elphie754
    Options

yeah and work out too.

You are going to be missing key vitamins and minerals. This really hasn't healthy no offense. You need some real good.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Won't let me edit. That is supposed to say food not good.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    If money is not an issue for you - I heard protein shakes are pretty cheap there in the US, then go ahead.

I don't know what you'll mix with the shake, that's where carbs could creep in. Anyway, there are two books about ketogenic diets you might want to check out.

Carb Nite Solution by John Kiefer and
    Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

As for your post, real food is preferable, but try your plan then analyze your results. You could adjust afterwards.

yea, I live in the us and it's still not that cheap

I'll mix it with water. btw are you filipino?
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    Won't let me edit. That is supposed to say food not good.

I'm still going to eat real foods on my meals, not planning to use it as a meal replacement but If I take that much would it affect my liver for too much protein from real foods and from the shake?
  • elpmapua
    Options
    yup. Filipino. 1 scoop is about 70 pesos, about $1.7

Well, I tried ON whey to see what's the fuss. I found a vid telling to mix it with skim milk. it has some carbs but if you plan it well, you won't exceed your limit.
  • mcwrap525
    Options
    yup. Filipino. 1 scoop is about 70 pesos, about $1.7

Well, I tried ON whey to see what's the fuss. I found a vid telling to mix it with skim milk. it has some carbs but if you plan it well, you won't exceed your limit.

HAHA cool, okay thanks. I appreciate your help.