Hypnosis and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis is pseudoscience.

Next thing people will be pushing is phrenology to lose that stubborn "skull chub".

What do you mean by pseudoscience?

My husband gave up smoking with hypnotherapy 22 years ago. He smoked a packet a day, had tried umpteen times to give up without success, and then went to hypnotherapy and literally never had another cigarette again.

You could say it is all mumbo jumbo - but proof is in the pudding. It worked.

Of course that isn't saying it works for everybody and it isn't saying, re weight loss, that you then lose by magic, of course you still have to have a calorie deficit to lose.
    But for those people who are having difficulty changing their habits,it can be a useful tool.

It wasn't for me, I lost weight fine without it - but I am not dismissing it as not having any use for anybody.
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I paid a crap load of money to do this a few years ago, the only benefit I walked away with is that i drink more water. I don't think it works but do believe if you believe that it can work. I would not recommend paying for it though I am sure you can download stuff on line and it may help.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I had needles glued on the inside of my ears to help with moderation.

Did not work.

Hipnosis is one of those things, at the end it comes from you. Check your relationship with food.

If you wish to picture dog *kitten* when you eat, you are not going to enjoy food for the rest of your life, just for a few pounds? pshhhh...
  • amykuh
    amykuh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I attended a group weight-loss hypnosis class with my mom in Aug 2013. I experienced positive results right away (and at no time did I feel out of control during the session). I would say that it was a session of positive, guided imagery. It was a way of reinforcing behaviors and thoughts that were new to me.

For instance, the very next day I cleaned out my fridge of all the food that I already knew shouldn't be there. Of course, this was something I had been meaning to get around to doing and just had put off and put off.

Also. McDonald's. I specifically had the goal of never eating there again (it had been a problematic habit of mine) and so I mentioned it at the beginning of the session. Obviously, this was something I strongly wanted to have happen, and some could say it is simply my own will power that keeps me from going there now. But I would say that I had long held the intention of quitting and that after that session of hypnosis, the idea finally took root. Haven't been back since.

My mom, sitting right next to me the entire time, says she experienced no positive results. I believe that it takes a willingness and a cooperation from the participant, and that it can really help, as it did for me.
  • suzynam
    suzynam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    there is plenty of data to support the fact that hypnosis can be effective as a supplement to other diet/lifestyle changes.

i am a very evidence-based decision maker and did try it last year. i found it very helpful, tho the woman i went to was very clinical and, imo, a very good therapist. we talked about the strategies she wanted to support me with in advance, these included drinking water before every meal, focusing on enjoying food without having to feel full, being more in touch with how i felt while eating so i wouldn't overeat and generally feeling good about myself and my food choices. it absolutely helped and i found myself drinking water whenever i was hungry and generally eating less. you do have to go for at least a few sessions and it's not magic, if you're not ready to accept the subconscious suggestions it won't work.

and i can still vividly recall her saying, "you will enjoy each bite of the healthy, colorful, delicious food you have chosen to eat and it will take just a small portion for you to feel satisfied."
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    suzynam wrote: »
    there is plenty of data to support the fact that hypnosis can be effective as a supplement to other diet/lifestyle changes.

i am a very evidence-based decision maker and did try it last year. i found it very helpful, tho the woman i went to was very clinical and, imo, a very good therapist. we talked about the strategies she wanted to support me with in advance, these included drinking water before every meal, focusing on enjoying food without having to feel full, being more in touch with how i felt while eating so i wouldn't overeat and generally feeling good about myself and my food choices. it absolutely helped and i found myself drinking water whenever i was hungry and generally eating less. you do have to go for at least a few sessions and it's not magic, if you're not ready to accept the subconscious suggestions it won't work.

and i can still vividly recall her saying, "you will enjoy each bite of the healthy, colorful, delicious food you have chosen to eat and it will take just a small portion for you to feel satisfied."

This also sounds like mindfulness/CBT. Maybe some therapists are spinning it and calling it "hypnosis" to try and appeal to a certain clientele? Hypnosis in the old, classic sense of the word is utter nonsense. "You are getting verrrrry sleeeeepy...when I snap my fingers you will wake up and act like a chicken."

Really?

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

This also sounds like mindfulness/CBT. Maybe some therapists are spinning it and calling it "hypnosis" to try and appeal to a certain clientele? Hypnosis in the old, classic sense of the word is utter nonsense. "You are getting verrrrry sleeeeepy...when I snap my fingers you will wake up and act like a chicken."

Really?

oh, yes that is true. when I saw the man that did hypnosis he said it isn't like that. It is just deep relaxation. I don't think that is what the OP meant by weight loss hypnosis. That is different than a sideshow

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What do I mean by pseudoscience?

I mean what the word means: pseudo science.

If you and your husband want to throw your money away at clinically approved Svengalis, please continue to do so. Gotta keep the economy going in our own little ways, I suppose.

Why let someone else trick you or goad you into doing what you're supposed to and just take responsibility for yourselves instead?

I mean, I know it's not interesting and fun to talk about at parties or anything...but it's real and can be achieved again and again.

You could take up mindfulness meditation or something like it instead, or go through CBT and examine your feelings/issues towards food.

• skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got dupped into buying a hypnosis package about 15 years ago, didn't work at all for me. But because I thought it "should" work, I ended up even more frustrated because what was wrong with me. I've developed some better rational decision-making skills since then. I wasted a bunch of money that really could have been used differently.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My friend tried it back in the 90's. She said it worked for her. She said her hypnotist told her to imagine the grossest thing she could think of when she wanted to eat whatever she was trying to avoid. For her it was worms.

That's a great way to develop a messed up relationship with food.

hmmmm, Perhaps you could re-evaluate your stance....you did have lap band surgery and are putting this down...tsk tsk tsk.