What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

Options

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Roller derby.
    It's not as 'unusual' as it used to be! :)
    Dang, I wish I had learned to rollerskate as a kid! I'd be afraid to start now, but it would be soooo great to hit the roller rink for a workout... it looks like a lot of fun!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't do it for fitness specifically, but most of my 'workouts' are yard/farm work. Cutting, chopping and stacking wood. Repairing whatever needs repairing the most. Digging and tilling in the garden or fields. Lugging heavy stuff all over the place. Mowing, weed eating, pruning, trimming, lopping, clearing, etc.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dragon Boat Paddling and Rowing are traditional sports, but not very common on this site.
  • realalize
    realalize Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    gscavette wrote: »
    I am doing an activity called Nordic Cross Skating. It is similar to the motion used for cross country skiing. It is an amazing workout that integrates your lower body, upper body, and core muscles. Try this link for more information:
    http://delaware-valley-fitness.myshopify.com/pages/what-is-nordic-cross-skating

This looks like fun! Thanks for sharing. I guess cobblestones wouldn't be ideal terrain :p
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Currently carry sandbags etc. Looking to get back into Scuba diving and learn to kitesurf
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do all the usual stuff (running, classes), but as a family we are currently learning to ski at a dry slope centre. Feels like a really good time but with the bonus of being a healthy activity. We frequently bike as a family too.

Have booked bridge abseiling with my husband on a groupon for November.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing! So much fun and a great workout all over!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Open water swimming. Not that unusual, there are buttloads of people where I go at the weekend. I live near lots of rural roads in a relatively affluent area, so lots of Wiggo wannabes on £2000 bikes doing triathlons, so the lake/quays can get busy.

But in other places, people come and gawk at you when seeing a lone fat lady bobbing along in the water. I sometimes have my husband and kid beside me in a canoe though.

Went on holiday to Scotland earlier this year, swimming in lochs and on beaches. One morning I swam and they canoed around loads of little islands just off a frigid beach with the Atlantic. We went on all the islands and jumped in the ocean. It was great, I can't imagine how many calories I burned, especially when I took my wetsuit off at the end (because I like the burning sensation), but so, so much fun.

I saw some people the other weeknd on something that looked like a cross between an eliptical and a bike. I couldn't decide if they looked douchey or fun - a bit of both I suspect. I came to a conclusion about the riders pretty quick though, they were both clad in flourescent skin tight lycra and coloured goggles (of course), loud music on and a toddler in the back no doubt fluent in Japanese and Farsi already, munching on a homemade date and mung bean bar, judging everyone else cheering on people doing mainstream sports (instead of those no-one's heard of, yeah?)

I was trying to concentrate on the fastest woman at a marathon, who was so swift and her face contorted in pain, she was a marvel. But god forbid anyone should look at her instead of them.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells and T-Tapp. :smile:
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    Options
    I run with a hash house harrier kennel. Yes, running is traditional but we do it in a very non-traditional way.
  • CatalinaJoye
    CatalinaJoye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sex just being honest (maybe its not that unusual)
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I run with a hash house harrier kennel. Yes, running is traditional but we do it in a very non-traditional way.
    i thought this was for runners with a drinking habit....or drinkers with a running habit.....
  • riparian
    riparian Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I play underwater hockey. Yes, it's a real sport, played internationally for 60 years. Check out: http://www.usauwh.com
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned this already, but I do a weighted hula hoop workout. =P It kicks my butt because I'm apparently awful at hulu hooping. Either I have memories of being amazing at it as a kid, or that memory is a lie and I actually sucked at it during my childhood.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Playing twister with some friends - was sore for a few days after - we had about 10 games. - lol

I walk up and down my house, and do laps in my brothers dance studio while knitting.

Some people I know also walk around their neighbourhood and pick up any litter they find.

Ballroom dancing also burns a ton of calories.

I know its been said, but I do love a hula hoop.

Line Dancing is also great.

I`ve also done 10 minutes of Calsithenics and thought I was going to die - clearly I wasn`t very fit at the time.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love dancing to Japanese pop, Korean pop, eurobeat, parapara, and techpara videos on Youtube. I used to parapara dance and make Japanese pop dance covers oh so long ago, but I'm not as good as I once was. I also don't listen to much Asian pop these days, but I still listen to eurobeat. I will get back into it because it's something fun to do. I also like to play Dance Dance Revolution (DDR). I haven't played regularly since my PS2 stopped working, but I still like to visit the local arcade here and there to play. I play dance games on the Wii every once in a while as well. I don't really see the above as exercise, though, more like physical activity for me. My most enjoyable thing to do is parapara dancing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh5O_45GofM
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Prancercize.

20130603_prancercise_91.jpg
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are unconventional... I do a lot (I mean a LOT) of hiking, almost every morning before work. On weekends, I go kayaking and/or climbing when I get the chance. Salsa dancing is great cardio and core workouts and I don't think of it as a workout until I realize I'm drenched in sweat by the end of the evening. Also if I take public transportation, I usually hop off well before my stop so I can walk the rest of the way. Finding ways to fit workouts into my normal day is always a fun thing for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    strongman training
    hip hop dance classes
    bar calisthenics

They are probably the main ones :)
  • evilqueencathy
    evilqueencathy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a step stool to walk up and down while I read or watch shows. Not sure if that's unusual or not.