what would you eat off this menu?

Options
I am practicing how to order when eating out but finding it challenging for places that have zero nutritional info since preparation can make such a difference in calories. What would you pick off this menu and why? Assume your total calorie goal for the day is 2500-3000 calories.

I just need some food for thought.

http://www.harrahslasvegas.com/content/dam/las/Dining/Casual/Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill/Harrahs-Las Vegas-Dining-Casual-Toby-Keith-Menu-6-27-2014.pdf

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    BBQ half chicken, baked beans, baked potato
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken w/slaw
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    veggie wrap and/or ceasar salad, plus that margarita -- hold the salt.
    Because nothing in almost any restaurant is as healthy as something I can make at home, so I adjust my food (and sodium) intake ahead of time to accommodate eating out, whenever I can. Then I try to eat as best I can at a restaurant and focus on enjoying the company and atmosphere.
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The Salmon, rotisserie chicken, shrimp/chicken Caesar (use dressing on side) or meatloaf if I had low calorie intake that day.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If my calorie goal was 2500-3k I'd eat whatever I wanted... dont see what the problem is
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'd probably get a salad
  • kait_marie24
    kait_marie24 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    chicken caeser salad - no croutons, no dressing - lemon wedges on the side.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    If my calorie goal was 2500-3k I'd eat whatever I wanted... dont see what the problem is

LOL I am guessing some of those single items are 1000k+ each. I'm not sure but guessing the fried bologna sandwich and 1 fried twinkie would top you out over 3k

I tried looking up other restaurants half rack bbq ribs and saw values anywhere from 500-1000. If the half rack of ribs is 1000k alone...
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'd start with cheese sticks and a beer, then have with a house salad with italian dressing.
    For my entree I'd dig into some Baby backed Ribs served with baked beans and corn on the cob.
    And for desert I'd go with pecan pie...BUT ONLY ONE SLICE!

Afterward, I'd play about 3 sets of tennis.
    DONE!
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    I'd start with cheese sticks and a beer, then have with a house salad with italian dressing.
    For my entree I'd dig into some Baby backed Ribs served with baked beans and corn on the cob.
    And for desert I'd go with pecan pie...BUT ONLY ONE SLICE!

you think all of that would still clock in under 3k?
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

LOL I am guessing some of those single items are 1000k+ each. I'm not sure but guessing the fried bologna sandwich and 1 fried twinkie would top you out over 3k

I tried looking up other restaurants half rack bbq ribs and saw values anywhere from 500-1000. If the half rack of ribs is 1000k alone...

Yeah I mean if you really make all the worst choices, ofc ur gonna go over. Id personally get the salmon with a side of corn on the cob and maybe some fruit, cause thats genuinely what calls my name *shrug* Or maybe a chili starter and a grilled chicken wrap. That place looks really good if u ask me :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just made me lol and cry. They sure do love deep frting everything.

Either pick what youd like and have a half portion or the salad(not a fan of salads) salmon or the chicken, dont eat the skin. Unless it was a special treat then Id probably not eat there.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'd eat whatever I wanted. Assuming I'm not going to eat like this every day, one day of a splurge is not going to kill me.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thinking I'd go w/the fried bologna sandwich and the fried twinkie for dessert.. I'm assuming it's vacation so live a little -- worry about the few pounds you might gain (over all of vacation) when you are back home!
    For the record that is exactly what I do now at maintenance and what I did when I was in weight loss mode-- eat what I want on vacation, go back to eating as I normally do and lose the few pounds once back home (before next vacation or holiday season).
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Interesting menu. I would order either the veggie wrap minus avocado with mushrooms (if available) and French fries instead of fruit (I LOVE French fries.), or I would just order some sides (mashed potatoes, seasonal veggies, & corn on the cob). I would order this because I'm a vegetarian and the options are slim. :D

Like previously mentioned, with so many calories, you could certainly eat a lot more. Rather I'm dining out or at home, I try to be mindful of what I am eating. If I'm dining out, I try to spend more time enjoying the company I'm with and less time focused on the food.
  • hortensehildegarde
    edited October 2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Just made me lol and cry. They sure do love deep frting everything.

yes, when a restaurant deep fries its mac and cheese and twinkies you know it's srs business!

Most of the stuff there is actually quite tasty but some things (like the fried bologna sandwich) are a little underwhelming. It wasn't as delicious as I thought it would be.

Definitely not the best place for a vegetarian!

Thanks for the comments. Fortunately I have tried many of the things on the menu already so I know some things I don't prefer as much but it's still too many choices!

I am a notoriously unpicky eater and when a whole ton of stuff looks tasty I have this habit of just ordering the most calorie dense things off of menus due (the best I have been able to deduce) to some kind of thinking along the lines of "I'm eating out/on vacation/it's a special occasion! Let's splurge!" That may work for some people but I am "on vacation" way way too much for me to not have to seriously work on changing that pattern of behavior.

I also tend to think that I have some kind of "I'm fat so I had better not order the healthy-looking item on the menu or *random-bad-consequence-I-don't-even-really-know-what-I-think*" going on in my head. I have some odd anxiety were I to order salmon with a side of the daily veg, even if I really wanted to eat that.

I think both of those are disordered and/or maladaptive type of thinking so it makes me feel good (though a little scared!) to work on them and I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The 100oz challenge ;)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    will you have a refrigerator? Maybe get something you like and eat half, save rest for later?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Top sirloin (only eat half) with seasonal vegetables and fresh fruit. If you don't get extras on the meat..5oz of it shouldn't be too bad.. And the others are veggies and fruit. You may have to account for some butter if they're not just steamed veggies