Never Feeling Full, Opinions?

Options
2»

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    KPeriandri wrote: »
    Look, if you are looking to lose 2 pounds a week, keep doing what you're doing. The issue seems to be that you are never full, which probably causes you to snack on less desirable foods.. or overeat your caloric intake for the day. Depending on what your goals are exactly, don't listen to others above who are telling you to eat more..
    What do you do all day, exercise wise? Are you sedentary? If so, then don't eat more. Make smarter choices with what you eat. Brown rice and wild rice are delicious carb alternatives to keep you feeling fuller longer. Lean meats such as chicken breasts and turkey are also some other ways of eating that will keep you feeling fuller longer. You will also have more success if you are eating MORE SMALL MEALS A DAY.. so 6 meals a day that are about 200 calories each.. which means you are eating every few hours.. you will hit your 1200 calories in no time. Portion, weigh, measure.. don't guess. People tend to think they are eating far less than they actually are.. which causes weight gain.
    If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. I have no problem telling you what has worked for me. 20 pounds down in 8 weeks. Right on target with losing 2 pounds a week every week.
    Hope this helps!

Oh, and don't listen to the awful comments above. If you feel you need to lose 20 pounds, then do what you want. Don't under eat.. your body will hang on to what little you eat and store as fat which is exactly what you don't want to happen. Just use your best judgement and don't let nasty people get in the way of what you are striving for.

Okay I just took a look at your diary... You eat under 1200 calories on a regular basis as well. Stop giving advice to young girls about "what works", because you're no better.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You probably need to frustrate your sweet tooth. You're having chocolate every day, sometimes several times a day. Try to do with out any for several days and just re-introduce it as a special occasional treat a couple of times a week. Listen to your hunger and eat a few more hundred calories...just lay off the sweets. They can cause cravings.
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had a similar issue. Here's what I did:
    1. Without changing my eating habits, I weighed and logged all of my food without judgement for a week. At the end of the week, I analyzed my schedule, mood, and other factors to see what triggered my eating.
    2. I noticed that I snacked a lot at work and that most of my snacks were high-calorie, low nutrition foods (my office has free snacks). Even though I had a healthy lunch and breakfast, I would end up adding 500 extra calories here and there. I also realized that I was hungry most of the time and that I would make very bad choices when I felt the hunger.
    3. I set a calorie goal with a modest deficit (10%, there are pros and cons to this. I powerlift 3-4 times per week.).
    4. I talked to my new powerlifting coach and realized I needed protein-heavy macros.
    5. I started planning the next day's meals in bed. I would pack a bag full of snacks (tons and tons of snacks - enough for me to eat every 1-2 hours) and made sure those snacks fit my macros. I always know where my next snack or meal is coming from - this helps me make better choices.
    6. Within a week of eating my protein and nutrient-dense snacks, I started feeling better. The thing is - I eat quite a bit but it's nutritious food (most of the time). I also realized that creating patterns is important - eat the same few snacks and meals every day. When you get tired of a snack or meal, substitute it for something else. For example, my lunches always contain a protein source (chicken thighs, sardines, etc), greens (arugala or kale), veggies, and yogurt.

Experiment! You'll learn about your body as you go. The key is to stay out of a shame spiral. You'll have bad days. Also - make sure you're thinking about the long-term. Ask yourself "Can I eat this way 2 years from now?". If not, your diet might not be sustainable. It might be better to have slower weight loss but make lifestyle changes you keep for a lifetime.
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your food diary. It seems like you should reconsider your weight loss goals. If you'd like to change the shape of your body, try lifting heavy weights (you'll have to eat more than what you're used to).
  • AndreaFitness
    AndreaFitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that the pic is from a few months ago, and since I've put on about 10lbs. I'm 135lbs, 5'4. I don't know where everyone came up with this 20lb goal but i'm just looking to get back to 120-125 range. Ideally I just want to lose .5 - 1 lb a week. Also, I usually tend to not record towards the end of the day, but I can assure you all i'm eating at least 1.2k cals a day.
  • AndreaFitness
    AndreaFitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. You do not need to be eating so little. You don't have much weight to lose. I'm 120 lbs and 5'3.5 " and lose .5 lb a week on 1900 calories. I would 1. Up your intake. 2. Eat more protein, typically 1g per pound of lean body mass to retain muscle 3. Eat more fiber and fats, fats are good for overall health vitamins absorption and that feeling of fullness, they are not bad

I'd honestly go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ or something similar.

With this, you'd calculate your activity, including exercise and you'd eat one straight amount. I maintain on around 2350. Ignore all the other info on that website.

It's very important you retain lean mass when losing weight, both for health and appearance. Losing weight too quickly, especially with little left to lose, leads to muscle loss. Muscle is not easily replenished and is key to making you look lean.

ETA : and unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing wrong with carbs. Carbs are energy. I ate high carb throughout my weight loss/maintenance. Lost 53 lbs doing so.

Yeah, I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to do low carb as i'm a T2D.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that the pic is from a few months ago, and since I've put on about 10lbs. I'm 135lbs, 5'4. I don't know where everyone came up with this 20lb goal but i'm just looking to get back to 120-125 range. Ideally I just want to lose .5 - 1 lb a week. Also, I usually tend to not record towards the end of the day, but I can assure you all i'm eating at least 1.2k cals a day.

Perfect. I am your same height and was about 136 when I started and 113 while ive been maintaining. You don't have a really large amount to lose, so I'll tell you what I wish I would have done when I started MFP (3-ish years ago).

1.) Don't have such a high deficit. I personally wish I would have stuck to around 1350-1450 calories daily. This will make the transition to maintaining easier.

2.)Up your protein intake. I think around our specs 105-110g per day would be ideal.

3.) Eat less calorie dense foods and opt for high volume high fiber choices. Skip the nuts, peanut butter, and sweets on the daily. Opt for more veggies and fruits.

4.) start resistance training NOW not later. Start with bodyweight if you must and incorporate lifting into your routine. Don't focus all your time on cardio!

5.) Eat real foods that you can stick to forever. For example, don't get caught up in fads or stupid substitutes like "spaghetti squash, cauliflower everything, etc.". If you must eat one of these "higher calorie" type foods do it in moderation but do the REAL THING! The key here is not to deprive yourself completely of the foods you love.

6.) Take your time. Don't try and lose it too fast and expect it to take you a while. I would aim for 3-4 months of consistent exercising and proper diet to meet your goal.

Good luck! :)