Angry, Depressed, and wanting to QUIT!

Options
I have lost 20 lbs to date. I am 5'2" and currently weigh 187--down from 207.2. I AM NOT SEEING THE RESULTS!!! I look at all the wonderful success stories and feel so pround of everyone. But, it makes me angry to see people who have lost 20lbs and look AMAZING. Then I get depressed, because I don't see it. Then I want to quit, cause whats the point? I lose and you can't see it--others lose and you can see it.

I am giving up and posting pictures of my before and current weight. So people can see what I mean...

Starting weight 207.2lbs
DSCF1268.jpg

Current weight 187lbs
001.jpg

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    But you DO look amazing!!! Don't quit on yourself. You've done so good, why stop now?!?
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. I started MFP in October and have only lost 16lbs. I am however losing an average of 1lbs every 3-4 months. I can however see that my body is looking better and I feel better. Start measuring yourself instead of weighing.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i can see it, dont quit! try measureing, i do my calves, upper thighs, hips, waist, my upper waist (lol my top roll), my bust and my upper arms. even when the number on the scale doesnt change, or goes up, those numbers are going down. please dont give up, youre worth the effort! i have to tell it to myself too!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I see a big difference and your face looks like a different person. Keep going and plugging along!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    You look great, but remember everyone is built different. My mom is 4"11' so even 5-10 lbs is noticable on her but I am 5'6" and bigger build so I have to lose about 20-30lbs before it is even noticable. dont quit. Keep with it you will be able to notice the more you lose.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First off you're a gorgeous woman just the way you are!
    Secondly, we all feel the way you do every once in a while during this journey. Just give yourself credit for the amazing progress you've made. The results will show when they are meant to show.
    I am almost 6 feet tall. It takes so much weight loss for me to barely tell! I know what you're feeling.
    Just keep thinking about all the wonderful changes going on inside! The outside is only one small part of who we are. You're on your way to becoming a healthier, happier and more confident person. Be proud of yourself!!!
    HUGS
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. Everyone is different. You have lost 20lbs so far...celebrate that accomplish. I get discouraged sometimes, but I know I am doing it the right way...I can't let my expectations hinder me from doing what's right for my health. You shouldn't either.

If you keep on working out and making healthier foods choices, you WILL see results.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I see it in your face!! congrats!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I know it's so hard when you're short b/c it seems every ounce shows...but I do see more waist definition in your pic and your thighs are a bit smaller. Keep chugging along and you will be glad you did! I was feeling like that a couple of days ago and almost
    just quit but after a day, felt much better. I think most of us are harder on ourselves as far as our body shape and size than others are. I know I constantly criticize my size and it drives my hubby crazy : 0
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Doing Great! Keep up the work!
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think you look wonderful and I definitely see a difference. If you quit now the only differences you will see may not be the ones you want!
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    Go get the book .... THE Slight Edge. Read 10 pages everyday.

Being angry and depressed will get you further in the hole.... and make yourself more misserable. Look at YOUR accomplishments and know that you can do more. You can reach your goal. So, fill your mind with positive and do as Tony Horton says.... do your best and forget the rest!

You didn't gain it all over night, it will take time to get it off just like it came on over time. Treat yourself to something nice for your reward on -20 and keep at it! If you give up.... where will that get you????

You can do it, one day, one meal, one workout at a time!

HUGS!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Other people can see it though! Overall, you do look slimmer, legs, arms, face, torso, you look like you've slimmed some all the way around! Keep it up and don't get too discouraged! You're already started, give it a bit longer! =)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I started exactly where you are now 5'2 187lbs last June 2010. Now I am 139 - dont give up. that 20lbs is a huge difference and the next 20 will be too.

The great thign about being short is every few poundsl ost DOES make a big difference.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I keep exercizing and eating healthy and I don't see the scale move! I can tell a diiference in your pictures, your legs are definately smaller! Try measuring yourself and see if you are losing inches, toning up. I have lost more inches than pounds. In six months I have lost about 30 pounds, I had hoped for at least 50 by now. Think about this, look at a 20 pound sack of potatoes at the grocery store, pick it up and think wow I lost this much! That is great! Keep up the good work, you can do it! I have a trainer at the Y who lost 120 pounds, it took her about 2 years, she went from a size 22-24 to an 8! She said she would get down and discouraged from time to time, but then she would try a diiferent exercise routine for a while so she wouldn't get bored. You can do this!
  • WarmFuzzy
    WarmFuzzy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I gained 100#'s & only went up 3 sizes - from 14 to 20. A friend of mine gained 25 pounds & went up 2 sizes!!
    Why do I bring these 2 examples up? Because they show that everyone's body is different & is going to respond differently & be affected differently than other people's.
    I can see the differences between your 2 pictures - in your face, your shoulders, your mid-section... it's there, but it's not extremely pronounced.
    Someone posted pictures of themselves after losing only 12 pounds, & there was a significant difference. Why? Because she was kicking butt in a 30day fitness program. The weight is not what caused her to look different, rather the change in her muscle tone.
    Have you ever watched Biggest Loser? People losing 30 pounds & they look like they've lost 1/2 their original weight! Again, because of the extreme workouts they are enduring.
    So - just like everyone's body is different, so is everyone's weight loss journey. Think about what you are doing it for - and how much you can do right now. I have lost 13 pounds but I am not at a point physically where I can do 90 minutes of intensive cardio... so I keep plugging on, following the plan & watching the weight go down... I haven't dropped a size yet, but I know if I stop now, I never will! And eventually, I'll get to the point where I can TaeBo with the best of them!
    You can do it too... don't let yourself get discouraged because your body didn't drop 20 pounds the same way that someone else's did... celebrate the 20 pounds you have lost, & the many more to come!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your like me, It goes on evenly, and comes off the same way too.

You probably never looked as heavy as some other people, as the weight doesn't cluster in one place. I can see the difference, you have slimmer thighs.

Have your photos taken specifically for record purposes, stand in a doorway. This way you will have an immoveable framework to measure against. I think you will then be able to see the difference better. :smile:
  • megansmom311
    Options
    You lost TWENTY pounds! Be proud of that! That is a big deal!

Make another goal. Lose twenty more pounds and see what happens. Why give up after all the hard work you've done?? Keep going. You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I can see it - particularly in your face. You look great. It's hard to see the little differences/details in the beginning when you are using photos of you in regular clothing. You might consider taking new "starting" photos in workout gear to use as comparable photos for later on down the road? I did that and it made a big difference in where I saw the changes, but it took much more than 20 lbs before I started to really see it. Good luck! Don't be discouraged ... everyone is different and you are doing wonderfully!
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are just being critical of yourself, we all do it. Take a closer look at your pictures and use your criticism positively. What I see? A difference in your face, neck, shoulders, upper arms and thighs. It may not be the PLACES you want to see the difference, but this is only the beginning. The changes you want to see will happen, its just going to take time. And since everyone is different, they will lose weight differently.

Twenty pounds lost is a great accomplishment. Don't give up, you are doing great.