What Is the most you've gained after a cheat day?

Options
124»

Replies

• jenhmmngsn
    jenhmmngsn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! That just happened to me this last weekend!! It is slowly coming back off, I am 1lb away from where I was before the cheat day and I gained 5lbs from that cheat day!!!!
  • jenhmmngsn
    jenhmmngsn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree..right there with ya.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why have a cheat day?? It is such a wast of all the hard work you put in! I can see having something you really want once in a while....but a cheat day will erase all your hard work over a week. It's just a bad idea!

Good luck with it!

lol
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Wow, how much do you eat on a cheat day? Even if I go crazy it's rarely more than a pound and it's gone within a few days ( I suspect it's often water weight from higher sodium)....
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    thanks for starting this thread, good to know I'm not alone :)

I "gained" four pounds from fondue on Monday...we'll see how long it takes to lose it.
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Well in theory, you wouldn't gain a pound unless you went around 3,500 over maintenance.

I can't imagine anyone gaining 2-3 pounds from a single cheat day--that would equate with around 7,000-10,000 calories over maintenance (or probably around 9,000 cals to 11,000 cals gross for the day).

What the scale is probably recording is water weight from all the food eaten, not actual conversion to fat, and so it's mostly gone in the next few days, with the exception of calories consumed above maintenance.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually lose after cheat days.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thanks for starting this thread, good to know I'm not alone :)

I "gained" four pounds from fondue on Monday...we'll see how long it takes to lose it.
    You're welcome. BTW, I had my day on Saturday and it was gone this morning (Wednesday), and then some. I just started right back to eating and exercising as usual on Sunday.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Nothing. I've had TEMPORARY gains- from sodium bloat, extra food in my digestive tract, and water stored with extra glycogen (carb loading) but never gained any actual weight from a single day. And on my birthday, I at 5300 calories (3500 over) of cake and fried food. It's really hard to gain weight from one day. This process is about a long term trend of deficit. Instantaneous spikes don't matter in the big picture if you don't do it often, except for giving you a nice leptin boost.

^^ This. I had a 3500 calorie surplus this saturday and my stomach was flatter than ever by Monday.
  • shaboogie56
    shaboogie56 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sorry error comment can't delete
  • lolwtfisthis
    lolwtfisthis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just bumping to say this thread's consensus is probably misleading. According to MFP goals for gaining a pound a week, livestrong.com and a bunch of other hastily consulted web tools and articles, 1 lb weight gain a week means adding 3500 calories in a *week* not in a day.

That is correct. A kilogram of fat is approximately 7500 kcal. Eating an additional 3500 kcal/day above one's maintenance would end up badly, depending on the person's goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just had a huge cheat on Sunday and weighed myself Monday.

Didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe a half pound, or nothing at all.

I will add, however, that a previous cheat (4,000 cals total) entailed about 1,000 calories of bourbon chased down with a chocolate-frosted doughnut. Not only did my sweat smell like Maker's Mark the next day, but my stomach seized during situps.

Kids, do not try this at home:
    chris_cheat.jpg

that is not really that epic ….

I am eating about 2800 a day on average right now …

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - this is why you should not weight yourself after a blow out day …I just weight myself once a week on Friday mornings, which accounts for normal fluctuations nicely...
  • Danwantsskinniness
    Options
    About 3 lbs. Would have lost it, but I ate maintenance the next couple days, so it took about two weeks. It was after a nearly 7000 cal binge- day.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    About 3 or 4lb, and it usually lasts about 3 days.

The last time was on Wednesday - in the morning I weighed myself and was half a pound away from getting into the 'ideal' category according to BMI, then my kid made us a three course meal as part of his home economics homework......

• chicacherry666
    Options
    Try having a cheat meal once a week instead of a treat day that way you don't binge and stuff up your progress