Feel guilty about cheat day :(

Options
I had two brownies and four thin crust pizza square slices and i feel totally uncomfortable and guilty. :( This has been my first cheat day ever in like a couple of months. do i just lower my calorie intake tomorrow to turn burn it off?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you could just chalk today up to a day off, or if you're truly worried you could go for a long walk or bike ride to work some of it off.
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your body needs treats at least every other week.. for most people they treat themselves weekly that way they don't feel deprived & left out. Most of the world eats unhealthy, so us healthy folks seem left out. You get a call from a friend asking to go to the movies & you get there & they shove popcorn & snacks in your face & all you wanna do is either eat it & feel quilty or cry because you're not "normal". So those cheat days are helpful IF they don't drag on for any longer than a day. Also, I know eating that stuff already contains so many calories, but you could throw in healthy foods on your cheat days since you NEED good nutrition daily. Feeling guilty can cause your weight loss journey to take a bit longer. In conclusion, don't worry about it & have a cheat day at least twice a month.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Very rarely do I lower my calories following a "cheat" day. It's just one day that I was off, and I get right back on track the next day. Now If I do it two days in a row, like I did last weekend, I might try to knock an extra 100 calories off my goal for a couple days, but definitely don't beat myself up over it. This plan works for me, and hasn't hampered my weight loss
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • PrettyMoonlight
    Options
    Thanks everyone all this makes me feel better. You know even when I ate the junk food, I didn't feel like I will crave it in the future, healthy foods taste alot better and made huge difference on my digestive system. I guess I felt guilty, because I know junk food doesnt make my intestines run any smoother. It's as if I did myself a disfavor by putting icky stuff into my system. But as you said foodaddict, I did receive a call from friend to go to a party today and thats why this happened . lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Save the shame for when you hurt, upset or annoy others.

Log it and move on. :)
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LOL that's weird that you did receive a call from a friend! Haha. But yeah, I would say get back on track tomorrow but you already are on track :)
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Your body already told you what you needed to know. Like others have said, log it and move on. And have a treat now and then. I plan my treats and look forward to them. I add extra exercise on "treat" days and I have treat days every couple of weeks. I also try and avoid treat foods that I know damn well are foods that I won't be able to stop eating once I start. You got this, gf.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had two brownies and four thin crust pizza square slices and i feel totally uncomfortable and guilty. :( This has been my first cheat day ever in like a couple of months. do i just lower my calorie intake tomorrow to turn burn it off?
    I let loose on things every Saturday. I call it my "free day".
    I lost a pound per week and have maintained my weight loss 3 years now.
    Once you see consistent results, you'll shrug off the shackles of guilt and just enjoy that day.
  • sweetgamerchick4life
    Options
    everyone needs a day off mine is Sundays but Monday I go hardcore workout but that's only because I feel like a fat cow but enjoy your day off and don't worry about it
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I saw a free Kindle cookbook today for healthy desserts. You can try making some healthy treats for future "cheats" and your tummy won't feel so yucky afterwards.

Sorry! Free offer has expired...

Kindle Diet Cookbook: Under 160 Calories-Healthy Dessert Recipes. Naturally, Delicious Desserts That No One Will Believe
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FZZGG/

You don't need a Kindle - there's a free Kindle app for computers and tablets you can download at Amazon.com
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find it helps me lose weight having a cheat day. I save it for weekends though since friends always want to eat out so it can be difficult.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat. Seriously. It's like telling someone who is allergic to something to have it once in awhile because she misses it. You are allergic and/or addicted to food that makes you be how you don't want to be ... why do that behavior again? As a reward? You are getting yourself to healthy --not skinny, not perfect --healthy. What is that worth to you? Is cheating worth it? Obviously not if you are feeling guilty. It's your way of telling yourself, "Really, all that effort we put in all week...for nothing...."
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat. Seriously. It's like telling someone who is allergic to something to have it once in awhile because she misses it. You are allergic and/or addicted to food that makes you be how you don't want to be ... why do that behavior again? As a reward? You are getting yourself to healthy --not skinny, not perfect --healthy. What is that worth to you? Is cheating worth it? Obviously not if you are feeling guilty. It's your way of telling yourself, "Really, all that effort we put in all week...for nothing...."

That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. As someone with food allergies it is kind of insulting as well. And "cheat" can mean just splurging in calories.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

In my book, healthy means balanced, in both body and mind. Not the extremism your post suggests.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Do you realize guilt is a learned behavior? This has nothing to do with her body saying anything! And lol at working all week for nothing. One treat meal/day doesn't make you fat the same way one salad/healthy day doesn't make you skinny!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No. I stop and think 'mmm that pizza was good. I might go and get another one next week'..........