Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk unsweetened vanilla and love it! It has higher calcium than milk and fantastic flavor. Only 30 cal a glass.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I heard from a very very well qualified nutritionist that the only reason to have almond milk is if you are lactose intolerant. Plus normal milk is so much cheaper!!
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, full fat milk has its benefits over skimmed milk too as you need the fat to absorb the minerals and proteins. So obviously I have semi-skimmed lol
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Almond milk isn't necessarily an alternative to skim milk, but I actually prefer almond milk over skim because I do not like dairy milk. Almond milk would be good for cereal or making lower calorie milkshakes. I really like the taste of almond milk so I can drink a plain cup of it, but it doesn't taste anything like skim
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I used almond milk in coffee and cereal while I was losing weight. I use skim milk (the same as the rest of the family) now during maintenance.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    also, skim milk is quite a bit cheaper.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I'm lactose intolerant so I CAN'T have skim milk, 1%, 2%, etc. I don't actually like the taste much, especially after having grown up on skim milk myself (lactose intolerancy developed when I was 23). But, sometimes you need some milk and almond milk works.

I'd say try it and see if you like it. Never hurts to try.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love almond milk on my cereal but even better, in my opinion, is hazelnut milk. I have it every morning now. Delicious

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]25436425.png[/url]

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Almond milk for smoothies, Lactaid milk for everything else.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well, I keep almond milk in the house mainly because I have never liked drinking regular milk. I have always hated drinking a glass of milk unless it was mixed with something else (like a latte). So I like Almond milk, Silk 'natural' for putting in coffee, protein shakes. But regular milk still makes it into my fridge once in awhile because it's great for cooking/baking. I really like to add milk to my scrambled eggs, I always feel like their missing something without it. I really wouldn't substitute almond milk for cow's milk in any recipe, totally different taste and I would not be confident in the results.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    D8LiuyL.jpg
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is lower calorie so the better option for me!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Roony02 wrote: »
    I heard from a very very well qualified nutritionist that the only reason to have almond milk is if you are lactose intolerant. Plus normal milk is so much cheaper!!

Or you like it better.
    Or the lower calorie value appeals to you
    Or you don't want to consume animal products

• Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk on my cereal and in my smoothies. I love skim milk with my cookies.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk some time ago. I drink it straight and use it to cook my cream of wheat. It comes down to personal taste. The "original" almond milk also contains less sugar than cow milk but I find the unsweetened almond milk not all that tasty.
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is a better choice for protein than store bought almond milk which is mostly water. I make my own almond milk since I'm off dairy. But, if you are happy and healthy stay the course.