MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    h7463 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    marykator1 wrote: »
    I've been told by a personal trainer that you know that you have worked out hard enough to feel like puking. Push your limits!

um no.... The only time I felt like I was going to vomit is when I ate too much right before working out.

I am a high intensity girl and I go hard.... In cardio classes my heart rate stays between 165-199 with the average being 180 and I'm 38 which means according to the not so accurate MHR calculators my max heart rate is 172. I also go hard while lifting.

So if someone told me that I wasn't working hard enough because I wasn't vomiting I would laugh in their faces. That is so not true.

Always thought that reaction was a bit more common when you're out of shape
    While getting sick during or after a workout can happen more often to beginners, and might happen under special circumstances to everybody, there is nothing 'common' about it. NEVER EVER! Training should be hard enough to promote steady progress, but it should never make you miserable and sick. There is some trial and error in this, but it's a process, and a learning experience about how much the individual body can tolerate. Enjoy the journey.

Train safe!

Uh yeah, "more often" "common" tomayto tomahto
    In my opinion, it's not really the same. 'Common' in training is something that's generally expected, like muscle soreness after lifting.
    Throwing up is an accident. Accidents happen 'more often' to beginners, because they don't know their bodies' response to exercise just yet, and might be unable to slow down in time to avoid it from happening.
    Not trying to be picky here. Maybe this explains my post a bit better. :)

When you first start working out, you very well may experience various kinds of discomfort including nausea. Note the op didn't actually say she was throwing up. I did pick up running this summer and though very much in shape, did feel nauseous after returning from one of my earlier 3 or 5 mile runs (and through reading posts also decided to hydrate a bit prior to the workout). If you haven't exercised in a while, it's a fact that you may feel some discomfort - it's just a matter of what type. Some people may prefer to handle this by sticking to less intense forms of exercise, which is completely fine, but if you favor higher intensities there's no need to run scared like you're doing something wrong because your body is rebelling a bit. I think this is also a common misconception and why a lot of people quit because exercise and losing weight is meant to make you "feel better". Well guess what, sometimes it makes you feel downright ****ty and that's a fact.

As an example, here's an excerpt from this thread:

Http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

"It is important that you learn to recognize the difference between “this hurts” and “I am hurt”. Is your pain sudden and acute? Is there swelling? If so, stop and re-evaluate. If you just feel uncomfortable because you haven’t run in 2 years: suck it up, buttercup."
  • lapsslap
    Options
    Eating both before and after workout is recommended and essential. I train 4-5 times a week. My routine basically includes a decent lunch 1hr-1 1/2hr prior to my workout to ensure optimal energy levels. It includes at least 40g carbs, 40g protein and some 20g non-saturated fats. My workout is usually about an hour to an hour and a half. Immediately after, I have a post-workout shake/meal.

I never feel nauseous after workout. Eating before and after is primordial. However, what you eat makes a difference. Avoid ALL processed food bars and REFINED sugars.

What you eat is the most important thing when pushing your limits. ''a light cappuccino and an atkins snack bar'' are things you should bar from your diet completely. Stick to a sugar free/cream free, black coffee, or even better green tea if you feel you need caffeine. Have a protein shake, preferably 100% pure whey without additives, mixed with some nut butters for fat (almond is awesome!) and fresh dates for a high glycemic food post workout.

Remember to drink lots of clean water!! Brita filters are your friend!

Good luck! Don't stop training hard! Change your diet!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a personal trainer that you know that you have worked out hard enough to feel like puking. Push your limits!
    No.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It is entirely possible that you're reacting badly to the artificial ingredients in the atkins bar. I understand the desire both for something sweet and something convenient, but possibly more whole foods would make you less ill.

I'm... dubious of incorporating what is essentially a candy bar into my diet, myself. Those bars in particular do give me terrible gas.
    This was my experience as well.
    Also, I must pace between sets when I strength train and drink plenty of water, or I feel bad.

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yeah if it comes on half an hour later, after you've eaten the snack, then maybe it's something in the snack

nausea/vomiting from working out too hard happens during or directly after your workout, then fades away as you cool down/recover from the workout. if you feel fine directly after your workout then sick 30 mins later, it's something else that's making you feel ill
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with several others who have said that drinking more water is likely to help, as is re-evaluating your post-workout snack (and maybe some food choices generally). I don't know what the ingredients of the Atkins bar are, but if there are non-sugar/artificial sweeteners in there, like aspartame, xylitol, and so on, that might be partially to blame-- I get nasty nausea/migraine symptoms from some of those sweeteners, and have heard that lots of other people do, too. I actually don't feel very well after eating a lot of different kinds of energy bars-- they're so dense and incorporate so many different ingredients and flavors that they don't agree with me. Also, coffee-- because of the caffeine-- can make me feel ill, especially if I'm really tired.

Try having some nuts and dried fruit for the snack, or some low-fat cheese and vegetable pieces. Drink water, tea, or less-strong coffee, or try kombucha-- a yummy, fizzy fermented tea.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I hope you never go back to that personal trainer. He/she told you a huge lie.
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This used to happen to me when I ran hard on long runs (16+ km sessions) when not hydrating properly or taking in easy-to-digest food. I make sure I hydrate a lot the day before and day of, plus I started taking GU energy gels every 45 minutes during long cardio sessions. I haven't had a problem since.

If I have a protein bar or something heavy too soon before my workout, it doesn't agree with me and I get nauseous. I think my body needs at least 2 hours to work on harder-to-digest foods before I can do a long run. However, some of my friends can have those foods half to a full hour before and are just fine. I think you need to find what works for you to fuel your workouts. It took me a while to find a balance that worked for me. :)