exercise to maintain?

Options
i'm 1 pound off from my first goal-which I cant even believe! anyway-I know the exercises I did to lose the weight. Zumba, kickboxing, running-but was thinking of slowing down a bit and trying out some yoga or tai chi. I know the calorie burn wont be the same-but im looking to maintain. Not quite sure how it works for maintaining. I know I get to eat a little more-do I continue the same routine? sorry if confusing-any help/suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You could eat more and keep the same routine, or slow down on exercise and eat whatever is needed to maintain. The choice is yours.

In reality, you don't have to exercise at all. Exercising just lets you eat more.
  • egirlcat207
    egirlcat207 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks! yea-kinda like my zumba-but will be nice to slow it down for a minute lol.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    CONGRATS! <3
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ... In reality, you don't have to exercise at all. Exercising just lets you eat more.

I don't 100% agree with this statement.

Exercise maintains a healthy heart & keeps blood glucose in check (aka keeps diabetes at bay).

So although yea OP may not necessarily need to continue to exercise for weight loss reason but for general health reasons some form of regular physical activity should be maintained.

The notion of thinner = healthy is a wildly misconceived one imho.

When I achieved goal weight I just continued the frequency but decreased the duration of exercise to maintain.

In the first 2-3 mths of maintaining I tried multiple times to decrease the frequency but I have been at this lifestyle for so long that I just didn't feel 'right.' lol SO I went back to same frequency just shorter amount of time.

Maintaining as you will find has a lot of wiggle room because everyone is just a little different. So don't be afraid to customize to see what works best for you and what can be maintained for the lifestyle change to be truly a permanent change.

Best of luck to you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Exercise is supposed to be more important for maintenance than it is for weight loss. I would also just keep it up for a while because it's good for you and will be good as you ease into maintenance - which is just what you've been doing with more calories.

That said, I just walk (though I try to walk 5 miles a day and always walk at least 3.5). I bought a fitbit when I hit maintenance to keep my honest. My husband teaches tai chi and - if you do it right, it burns a LOT of calories and builds a lot of muscle. I also bought one of those pilates ball chairs and it really helped tone more core muscles and improve my posture.

Congratulations!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    By all means do what you enjoy but you will need to just figure it out as you go along. Maintenance is never a straight line but small variances that balance out in a small range of maybe 5lbs or so. You should continue to log and set goals to help keep your weight in check and eventually you will figure out what you need to eat to keep your weight within that tight range.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I keep up the same gym activity and eat lots!! :smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If your exercise decreases then your maintenance calorie goal will be lower.

Whether you continue your routine is up to you. But exercise should be for more than just burning calories - cardiovascular fitness, muscle preservation, etc. so it depends on your longer term goals.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I have found that a variety of exercise is key - but only in 15,30 and maybe 45 minute sessions. No less than 15 a day, no more than 45. I also wear a Nike Fuel band to record my steps. I still log in this my 3rd year of maintenance. I use a standing desk now at work. I walk as much as I can. My week is generally daily yoga or Barre3 for 15-30 minutes a day, two 30 minute sessions with my PT a week, and going for 10000 steps a day.
  • jamesdavidy
    jamesdavidy Posts: 32
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You took on a new lifestyle to get the weight off, your old lifestyle put the weight on, in conclusion, WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED..You know what to do, and its not sitting on your bum eating crisps and chocolate (though you can sometimes) lol. Good luck and keep moving, you did great. If you need any motivation feel free to add me and that goes for anyone else.
  • jamesdavidy
    Options
    :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Studies suggest that successful maintainers do exercise. So, personally, I'm doing more exercise (just hit maintenance). It means I'll get to eat more, but also gives me something to focus on and set goals for to replace the weight loss goals that I've had until now.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    remember, exercise is for fitness. Eating is for weight control. Keep your calorie count where you need it to be for your maintenance. You are used to working out now, keep it up! It should feel good. Eat back the calories as you did when at a deficit. As long as you keep your calorie count where you need it to be, you should maintain (and remember, maintenance weight fluctuates up and down a few pounds either way, most of the time). Enjoy!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sushi549 wrote: »
    CONGRATS! <3
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ... In reality, you don't have to exercise at all. Exercising just lets you eat more.

I don't 100% agree with this statement.

Exercise maintains a healthy heart & keeps blood glucose in check (aka keeps diabetes at bay).

So although yea OP may not necessarily need to continue to exercise for weight loss reason but for general health reasons some form of regular physical activity should be maintained.

The notion of thinner = healthy is a wildly misconceived one imho.

You are right, and if the OP would have asked about health, I would have said that. Since she only asked about weight loss and maintaining her current weight, the truth is that she doesn't need to exercise if she doesn't want to. Is it recommended? Of course...but that's her choice. Not mine.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If your exercise decreases then your maintenance calorie goal will be lower.

Whether you continue your routine is up to you. But exercise should be for more than just burning calories - cardiovascular fitness, muscle preservation, etc. so it depends on your longer term goals.

This^

It's up to you. I will continue to exercise because I look at it as a lifestyle change also.

It's too easy to slack off first on exercise, then on diet. For me, lack of exercise just jump starts (former) bad habits.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising and like to try new things - I get bored easily. There some exercises that remain part of my routine - gym work out with some cardio, powerwalking and kettle bells. I would love to do more heavy lifting but i enjoy the cardio and don't really have the time to commit to a real lifting programme. It sounds like you need to try a few different types of exercise and then decide what works for you.
  • vsheetz1
    vsheetz1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suggest to target a minimum of 2000 physical activity calories each week. This increases your deficit ceiling, will keep you healthy and feeling good, and go a long way to helping keep the weight off.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that what most successful maintainers have in common is that they exercise 5 x a week. I am just a few weeks in but have if anything bumped up my exercise as I feel brilliant. Im less concerned about what exercises burn the most now.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i'm 1 pound off from my first goal-which I cant even believe! anyway-I know the exercises I did to lose the weight. Zumba, kickboxing, running-but was thinking of slowing down a bit and trying out some yoga or tai chi. I know the calorie burn wont be the same-but im looking to maintain. Not quite sure how it works for maintaining. I know I get to eat a little more-do I continue the same routine? sorry if confusing-any help/suggestions welcome. Thanks!!
    Congratulations!

Strictly for weight loss, it's calories in/calories out, no exercise required. Exercise indeed creates a calorie deficit, which allows us to eat more.

However, exercise is important for endurance and strength and provides great health benefits including, for many people, relieving stress.

Exercise is no more or less beneficial when you are dieting than when you are maintaining. It is personal preference only.

Some people are not able to exercise, or just don't want to, and they do well with weight loss and maintenance.
  • ronitperman
    Options
    Exercise is good for health, so its not a good idea to quit exercise. You have to just maintain your diet and exercise. You can eat according to your diet plan, for a good metabolism it required to eat good food and it will help you to maintain a healthy body and happier lifestyle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    I keep up the same gym activity and eat lots!! :smile:

Pretty much this... i like my food, the main difference between before i lost weight and now is the fact i work out regularly now!