This is not fair as I am disabled

Options
this review is always the same and I do no need as much as an able-body person needs

Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems. if I follow this I will be 150kgs + instead of loseing weight.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Then ignore it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ok
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor saying this, or is it the site?
    If it's the site, ignore it, because MyFitnessPal doesn't know anything about your individual life or needs. If your doctor is telling you this, there's probably a good reason.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MFP is set to give you a calorie defecit, based on your weight loss goals, when you don't move at all

I don't know what your disability is but even if you aren't moving at all you should still eat the calories given - it is your basic body needs without movement that is covered off in that

if you are moving you should try to add a relevant exercise and eat back the calories (well half of them)
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    As long as your thyroid is good the MFP figures should be fine. If it means you have to increase the amount you eat then increase slowly over a few months. If your thyroid is shot subtract about 10%
    Really eating too little is likely to harm your organs rather than help you lose weight in a healthy manner.
    Eat fresh made foods if you can. Processed food and soda are not recommended
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives me that warning when I'm in between 1000-1200 and I'm female so it doesn't even follow its own advice.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with any foods as long as your body is ok with them.

Just as for a normal healthy person fruit is fantastic, but for someone that is insulin resistant they are one of the worst things ever, no better than eating a highly sugared cream cake.

(Insulin resistance doesn't know difference between natural sugar and any other type of sugar).

And always take a good quality 1 a day multi vit with minerals pill, then you make sure your getting all ya daily needs.

MFP is just a guide, what ya doc tells ya is just a guide, just do what works for you and listen to your own body, if ya screwing up it will let you know.

Blessed be
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For me, I use all sources as lose guidelines. From MFP, my doc, my dietician, etc. We are all individuals first and foremost. Important thing is to use your resources to fit your personal needs. An example is I have hypothyroid, low metabolism and a low heart rate. And all of my trusted resources differ in calorie intake and heart rate thresholds. In just recommended caloric intake my resources differ 700 cal/day.
    For many people, they may find their resources are more inline, for some of us they are not.
    Important thing is to not let this deter you.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You get this warning automatically on MFP when you eat under 1000 calories for the day. My ability to exercise or be active is severely limited due to lung disease. Therefore, to lose weight, I have to eat around 1000 - 1100 calories. I have lost weight doing this so you probably really don't need to eat below the 1000 calorie mark to lose weight.

I'm on oxygen so walking or swimming just aren't really doable right now, never mind something more strenuous. I did buy an exercise bike and use it 5 - 6 days/week. On days I ride my bike, I usually eat between 1200 - 1300 calories.

Calculate your BMR - this gives you an idea of what your body uses in a day if you were to lie in bed for 24 hours doing nothing; that is, the calories your body uses to carry on basic physiologic and metabolic functions. This will give you an idea of why they recommend that you eat at least 1000 calories per day. That and because it's hard to get sufficient quantities of the nutrients your body needs when you consistently eat under 1000 calories.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am disabled and i try to have 1200 a day. I have a exercise bike but can only use it 3x a week due to crippling pain.
    I am worried that people who are disabled and sit a lot do not lose weight.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My sister has MS and has to use a Mobility Scooter / all the general muscle fatigue issues associated with MS.

She is fortunate enough to have access to a couple of targeted classes per week which focus on the exercises she can do rather than those that she can't... However like most people who's disability means they are much less physically active, her recommended calorie intake (supported by her GP) is lower than someone without a disability. I think (but don't quote me on this) her maintenance is 1000-1200 Cals per day, so obviously her weight loss target is even lower.

I think its reasonable to say that these are exceptional circumstances and the warnings MFP supply are based on 'standard' usage. I also think that it is right that MFP set these alerts up - I've seen so many threads where people who clearly have eating disorders try and justify why the guidelines don't apply to them: Its good that they get the advice and support they really need from the forums.

As such, whilst you have my sympathy for your circumstances, I think you need to take a pragmatic approach to your use of tools such as MFP rather than getting frustrated over their 'fairness'. Talk with your doctor or dietitian to establish what is right for you and work with that information.

Good Luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is protecting themselves with the disclaimer. If it bothers you, ignore it.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am worried that people who are disabled and sit a lot do not lose weight.

They can lose weight, but you're right that they have fewer tools and less flexibility. They might be only capable of losing weight more slowly since they can't add the different kinds of cardio exercises that others can do.

If they can move at all without pain, there are beneficial exercises that professional physiologists can find for their limitations.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My surgeon recommended MFP, fully knowing I would be eating far less than 1000 calories a day for a while. He and his staff would be monitoring me. So I'd see the warning, but ignore it. It's not perfect, it's good enough.

Life lesson: Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.
    (If it's good enough, do it and move on.)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat more than that and still lose well. I'm disabled, too, but I go to physical therapy 3X a week. There are many physical therapy exercises that can be done in the wheelchair or in a recliner/bed after transferring. Light resistance bands/wrap around weights can also be added, eventually graduating to harder ones. Stretches are also good to do. Even when I wasn't going to PT or exercising, though, I still ate more than that and lost.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Just don't close your diary each day - no message, no more whining that it isn't fair.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Life isn't fair :(
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Meh. Ignore the notification and move on.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say "starvation mode" anymore!

Lose It mentions NIH in their message, too. I don't think NIH actually does say that, though. What's funny is I google "NIH and 1200 calories" and I get sample menus at that level.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/eat/menus_tac_1200.htm

They do say this:
    "Eating plans that contain 1,200–1,500 calories each day will help most women lose weight safely.
    Eating plans that contain 1,500–1,800 calories each day are suitable for men and for women who weigh more or who exercise regularly.
    Very low calorie diets of fewer than 800 calories per day should not be used unless you are being monitored by your doctor."