90 day low carb challenge starting Oct. 20th ...

Options

Replies

• babsie2046
    babsie2046 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone has add this..check out lowcarbfriends,com for a lot of recipes.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm in! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Emz1604 wrote: »

^^^^ and 140 days in keto!! That's amazing, well done. Is the weight still flying off??

I lost 3.5 pounds this week. So I guess so. Sometimes I find a sweet spot and I lose more. Then there are times when being a woman stinks and I only lose 1.5lbs or so per week.

140 days and 55.5lbs lost. Going at a pretty good clip. :smirk:

• Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't even know where the straight and narrow is anymore. :( But, I'm in,anyway .
    So, if you stay under 100 gm of carbs that will put you in ketosis? I thought that you had to be be 20 or under, in order for that to happen. I'm tired of being tired. I switch from one plan to another, and can't seem to find one plan and stick to it..... maybe this will help
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i am really keen, but how many carbs per day should we have???
  • Emz1604
    Options
    I don't even know where the straight and narrow is anymore. :( But, I'm in,anyway .
    So, if you stay under 100 gm of carbs that will put you in ketosis? I thought that you had to be be 20 or under, in order for that to happen. I'm tired of being tired. I switch from one plan to another, and can't seem to find one plan and stick to it..... maybe this will help

A lot of us have been there, people who haven't struggled with weight for a long time don't realise how mentally time consuming it can be (I was big right from childhood) even when I managed to get the weight off in teens, I needed to be conscience all the time of when I was starting to gain - it felt like the fat was following me around waiting to attached itself again lol. I read an interest article on the rule of Maintenence which I am going to apply this time, I'll post a link when I find it. It pretty much said to get your body use to it u need to stay on a 'pre lifetime' diet (general rule) 5 days for every pound lost when you finally reach you goal. So for me that would be almost a year of still watching what I eat everyday until your mind agrees it's gone for good and makes a new set point.
    -i put mine on again during pregnancy, then had three children in three years which lead to losing 50lbs and been comfortable. Then a rocky year this year lead to a 30lbs gain. I believe I lose the most between 20 and 30 carbs.. Then between 30 and 40 is between 1 and 2 pounds a week there after. Everyone is different. A close friend use to sit on 40-45 and lose around 2-4 per week and she didn't have as much to lose as I did. Find what makes you feel good, and you do feel good on low carb, just healthier in general. When u find the right level for you and your losing happily every week then stick to it until you get close to your goal then look at slowly increasing :-)
  • Emz1604
    Emz1604 Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Emz1604 wrote: »

^^^^ and 140 days in keto!! That's amazing, well done. Is the weight still flying off??

I lost 3.5 pounds this week. So I guess so. Sometimes I find a sweet spot and I lose more. Then there are times when being a woman stinks and I only lose 1.5lbs or so per week.

140 days and 55.5lbs lost. Going at a pretty good clip. :smirk:

Wow... That's great
  • Dew76
    Dew76 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in! I started HFLC diet last Sunday, 10/12/2014. 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbs. I'll get on the scale tomorrow, 10/20/2914 morning to see my week 1 results. This way of eating is new to me. I hope a support group will help when I'm craving something loaded with carbs and sugar. Best of luck, everyone!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    100g carbs a day is not Ketosis for me, or many other people. I think "Low carb" really, is about 5% of your calories. 100g might be reduced carb based on what you used to eat, but it's not really Low carb.

Having said that, I've been Low carb (20g or less) for 5 months. I'll join.

Also happy to answer any rookie questions based on what I've learned and experienced.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Is there a group associated with this? Or, are you just friending people or going to keep this thread alive? What are your plans for people participating in this challenge?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    Is there a group associated with this? Or, are you just friending people or going to keep this thread alive? What are your plans for people participating in this challenge?

While it's not my challenge....I'm of two minds:
    1. It's easier to find a thread here. And a pain to get to the boards.
    2. A thread here is more easily threadjacked by the usual nonsense.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah, there's pros and cons to both approaches. A group is nice because it keeps the discussion focused and contained. It also cuts down on the usual nonsense (although that can be a fun addition to any conversation). A thread is nice because they're easier to find with the current software update.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Okay, I'm gonna try this. I've never been low carb before (really), and am interested, after all these years in seeing how it feels. I've read various things, but never tried it. I could stand to build in a 5LBS buffer for the holiday. This should be an adventure. I should probably tell hubs.
  • lizzie14115
    Options
    Well, i haven't eaten anything yet, but trying to read on low carbs...anyone experienced with it willing to tell us of a typical day?
  • lizzie14115
    Options
    Yesterday my calorie goal was 1519 and carbs 190, does anyone know what i should be aiming for with our 90 day challenge??
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my calorie goal was 1519 and carbs 190, does anyone know what i should be aiming for with our 90 day challenge??

You need to use custom goals and set your carbs for 5% (maybe 10% at a push) protein about 25 (20 - 30 it's in steps of 5) and fat the rest.

Low carb is <120g a day by any definition (as opposed to carbohydrate restriction, which just means less).

http://uk.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html may help, and an open diary too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well, i haven't eaten anything yet, but trying to read on low carbs...anyone experienced with it willing to tell us of a typical day?

My wife had 2 rashers of bacon and a fried egg for breakfast. I had a cold sausage from yesterday and a piece of a home made protein "bar" / cake which is low carb. Hers was zero carb.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This will be an adventure for me. My "low carb" will always be skirting the upper edges I suspect, and my challenge will be how many vegetables I normally eat. Gotta be smart about my carbs here! Fun. Thanks for letting me join.
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    count me in!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that OP has never responded to this thread?

I'm also not sure what qualifies as low-carb for this challenge, although I am sure I'll be fine.

Since OP seems to have wandered off, probably into the desert for a period of purification in preparation for this challenge, I've gone and thrown a group together for it. If OP comes back, I'll let them take control of the group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100212-low-carb-challenge

For everyone who said they were interested, come join the group. It will be a good place to keep things going. I'm also going to back-link from the group to this thread, so we don't lose track of it.