90 day low carb challenge starting Oct. 20th ...

Options

Replies

• rebeccaker
    rebeccaker Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im in. I need to go read up on low carb!
  • ballardf
    ballardf Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is it safe for type 2 diabetics? I find that when I dont eat enough carbs I become hypoglycemic.
  • lgjproduct
    Options
    I began a physician assisted low carb program 10/17/14 along with my son-in-law. Two days and I am in mild ketosis, as they like, so today I can begin adding a few limited veggies and unlimited celery, lettuce, and spinach - also limited berries! Yay! The gallon of water is killing me, however! Waking up all night long! lol.
  • lgjproduct
    Options
    Where do I sign up for the group and read more about it? Thanks.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been low carbing for 2 1/2 years. It will be fun having friends along. I feel like I'm the only person in the world doing low carb...at least in my little world.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that OP has never responded to this thread?

I'm also not sure what qualifies as low-carb for this challenge, although I am sure I'll be fine.

Since OP seems to have wandered off, probably into the desert for a period of purification in preparation for this challenge, I've gone and thrown a group together for it. If OP comes back, I'll let them take control of the group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100212-low-carb-challenge

For everyone who said they were interested, come join the group. It will be a good place to keep things going. I'm also going to back-link from the group to this thread, so we don't lose track of it.

Just joined. Thanks.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    ballardf wrote: »
    Is it safe for type 2 diabetics? I find that when I dont eat enough carbs I become hypoglycemic.

This is a great question and one that is impossible for us to completely answer for you. My father-in-law has type 2 diabetes. He is on metformin (sp) and also takes insulin. For him, he can't go too low on the carbs because it will cause him to go hypoglycemic. I suspect that if he reduced the insulin and/or metformin that this would stop. But, I am not a doctor and I can't advise him (or you) on that.

My father-in-law has reduced the amount of carbs he eats, but is careful to have enough that he doesn't go too low. He tests his blood on a frequent basis and knows where it needs to be for him to avoid going low.

I think it's probably safe to reduce the carbs a little, if you're monitoring the effects. If you want to reduce them dramatically, seek medical advice before proceeding.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

hmmm, I've noticed that in the forums. It always eems that the people who create various "challenges" here are the first ones to fizzle out.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

I'm also not sure what qualifies as low-carb for this challenge, although I am sure I'll be fine.

Since OP seems to have wandered off, probably into the desert for a period of purification in preparation for this challenge, I've gone and thrown a group together for it. If OP comes back, I'll let them take control of the group.

For everyone who said they were interested, come join the group. It will be a good place to keep things going. I'm also going to back-link from the group to this thread, so we don't lose track of it.

Ah. You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.
  • baconslave
    Options

This is a great question and one that is impossible for us to completely answer for you. My father-in-law has type 2 diabetes. He is on metformin (sp) and also takes insulin. For him, he can't go too low on the carbs because it will cause him to go hypoglycemic. I suspect that if he reduced the insulin and/or metformin that this would stop. But, I am not a doctor and I can't advise him (or you) on that.

My father-in-law has reduced the amount of carbs he eats, but is careful to have enough that he doesn't go too low. He tests his blood on a frequent basis and knows where it needs to be for him to avoid going low.

I think it's probably safe to reduce the carbs a little, if you're monitoring the effects. If you want to reduce them dramatically, seek medical advice before proceeding.

I have a little bit of experience with this so I'll throw my 2 cents in. The diabetic diet I was on when I had gestational diabetes 3.5 years ago, and the current low-carb diet my mother was put on by her physician, both advise you to keep your carbs under 120g net carbs. I think that is an excellent starting point. It's low enough and yet high enough. That is where I would start. I was on glyburide, and I only had trouble with hypoglycemia twice. And that was near the beginning as my body adjusted. My mother is taking a med and insulin, and she seems to have no trouble either.

I would think that 120g would be safe to start, keeping close tabs on your numbers. If after a period of success, and/or discussing with your doctor, you could nudge it as low as 100g. Though I wouldn't go less than that unless I were supervised by the doc. But even at 120g, your numbers will begin to improve almost immediately.

Best wishes. :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Hypoglycaemia is not that common in T2 diabetics - what does your blood sugar fall from / to ?
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i totally want to do this.. so will start tomorrow... xx
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I have type 2 diabetes. I used to have severe hypoglycemia and high blood sugar all day long. I would go really high then come crashing down. This would happen even when I was on no medications or insulin. I actually had less hypos when I went on insulin. Now I eat low carb high fat and am on NO medication or insulin and have NO lows or highs.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would go from high 200s down to 30ish.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    edit
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Low carb diets can be used to help control type 2 diabetes. Research suggests that lowering carbs can reduce A1C levels. Similarly, carb blockers, such as acarbose, are used to help with blood sugar control. They cause carbs to be broken down more slowly than the normal rate..allowing less of a surge in glucose and helping to create a more stable blood glucose level.

I have reactive hypoglycemia that I control with a low carb diet and had previously controlled with acarbose.

If you are eating high amounts of carbs every day you are essentially creating a sugar roller coaster for yourself. Lowering carbs significantly can cause what feels like hypoglycemia (in some people) for a few days until the body adjusts to glucose levels being lower than what it had previously been used to.

Always talk with a physician before changing your diet.

• msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
    I've been working out but not seeing really good results.
    I did a report on my carbs and they are up there.
    I always feel better on low carbs. Let's go!!
  • Whoknew0686
    Whoknew0686 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in and ready!!! I need to get into ketosis for a good few weeks so I can drop 15 pounds! :smiley:
  • ballacholos
    ballacholos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am in. What must I do to get started with this challenge?
  • baconslave
    Options
    I am in. What must I do to get started with this challenge?

Join this group.

Welcome. :smile: