Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not for me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, because herd immunity is important to protect people who cannot get the vaccine. And because the anti-vaxx position is basically nonsense and irresponsible.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Yup. With a fiancée that is susceptible to pneumonia, we do not take any chances in my house. Plus, last year I didn't get one (no insurance) and ended up with the flu for the first time in my adult life. And it WAS one of the strains that the vaccine covered.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nah. Maybe someday when I join a high-risk group.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Did/will you get a flu shot this year? Why or why not
    I plan on getting a flu shot today - even though flu shots are a tool of the Illuminati to control the masses in their evil scheme to rule the world. Whatever...they work great to keep me well...
    8he3v3vtylsi.jpg

^^^^^^
    Seriously, somebody told me the above absurdity in advising me NOT to get a flu shot. They also advised against fluoride toothpaste, then smiled back through yellowing teeth...lol
    As soon as they were gone, I brushed with FLUORIDE COLGATE :o
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I did because my workplace requires us to do so. I was getting them before they started that policiy, though. Hey, it's free, and I haven't gotten the flu since I've been working here.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No. My family does not get the flu shot. Last time I did get the flu shot was nearly 9 years ago. Which is the only year that I actually got the flu.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My mom still calls me to remind me to get one, though I don't need reminding anymore. I make sure to get the flu shot every year and almost never get sick. Even if that doesn't have anything to do with the shot, I'll take what I can get. I'm a grad student & seriously cannot afford to be sick enough that I can't go to class. Last year I had an abscess tooth & had to miss a day because of the pain & later had to have a root canal - that was bad enough!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Did/will you get a flu shot this year? Why or why not
    I plan on getting a flu shot today - even though flu shots are a tool of the Illuminati to control the masses in their evil scheme to rule the world. Whatever...they work great to keep me well...
    8he3v3vtylsi.jpg

Yep. Everyone knows that they are implanting an RFID chip *and* taking a DNA sample for the illuminati database under the guise of "protecting" you. Not enough people were getting flu shots, they's why they started ebola and created the ebola vaccine. Well that and so they can declare martial law and let Obama come take your guns.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Getting it. My 3 year old and 18 month old and husband all have theirs already. I've just been putting it off.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yes - got my flu shot yesterday. I work with a 75 year old who has COPD - the flu could kill him.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    as an immunocompromised type, thank you tincanonastring! even before transplant, nothing steamed me like the antivaxxers. (and got my flu shot, too).

One of the best reasons right here to get one. I get one every year, and especially this year, as I'm pregnant for the first time. I'm not taking any chances! And you can be sure my children will be vaccinated!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. Flu shot only covers a couple common strains of flu. So it's not going to prevent you from getting another strain or illness. The few years I DID get a flu shot I spent the entire flu season sicker than ever. Yes, I know the virus isn't live. Yes I know that it's not 'supposed' to make you sick but I liked my health the years I haven't gotten the shot better.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    We have a duty as humans to protect those who are weaker. When it comes to vaccine-preventable illnesses, those of us who can get an immunization should be doing our part to protect those who cannot.

i got mine last wednesday. it's hard to say no to a free flu shot when you work in a building with a billion people and share workspaces and handy/mouthy equipment like keyboards and headsets.

in years past I've gotten the shot and the flu, and I've not gotten the shot and not gotten the flu. still, i'll take my chances with the jab.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    mank32 wrote: »
    We have a duty as humans to protect those who are weaker. When it comes to vaccine-preventable illnesses, those of us who can get an immunization should be doing our part to protect those who cannot.

i got mine last wednesday. it's hard to say no to a free flu shot when you work in a building with a billion people and share workspaces and handy/mouthy equipment like keyboards and headsets.

in years past I've gotten the shot and the flu, and I've not gotten the shot and not gotten the flu. still, i'll take my chances with the jab.

It's pretty easy, because 1. I have an immune system, and 2. I live in a first-world country.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Will I get it? Already did.

Why? Why not?!?
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No, I used to get it as a child and always ended up getting the flu, bronchitis, strep throat, and a pneumonia throught the fall/winter (one generally lead into another which resulted in me being sick for about 2-3 months straight).
    Ever since I stopped getting my flu shot a few years ago I've only gotten a cold for a week or two at most.
    I can't say for 100% fact that the flu shot was responsible for the onslaught of sickness every winter but once I stopped and the sickness stopped it's good enough for me. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    mank32 wrote: »

It's pretty easy, because 1. I have an immune system, and 2. I live in a first-world country.

It's free, therefore I have to get it!!!

If they handed out free arsenic, I'm sure people would swarm to get their hands on it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Got it two weekends ago, because medical SCIENCE!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I got the flu before the shot was available. So did my 101- year old father-in-law.