Running Tips??

Options
Hi everyone...I REALLY want to get into running.

A question: How often is it ok to run? I know we should take breaks from exercise but how often should you run? Or run max?

Also..... I completely suck at running right now. Any tips for building up endurance?

Replies

• mmulhern914
    mmulhern914 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K running program, it is free and is AWESOME!!! That's what got me running!
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do a c25k routine. I have an Iphone and downloaded an app that will guide me. It starts off slow so you don't hurt yourself. I am actually going to be starting it today. Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How often is a function of how conditioned your body is to running and how hard you run.

If you are just beginning then every other day is probably best. As you get more fit, after a month or so, you can probably increase that to four times a week.

Once your body is conditioned, after a year or so from beginning, you can run every day and twice a day often, as long as easy runs are included with the hard ones. This is going to vary person to person and is dependant on how fast you recover which is dependant on genetics, age, diet, sleep, and other stressors in your life.

Running really hard is also a function of how conditioned you are. In the beginning you should avoid that and just run easily to build endurance. Once you can run a few miles easily then add a hard workout once a week. Later, add another one. The only real rule is that they cannot be done every day or you will soon burn out.

The only way to build endurance is to run as many miles as your body can handle at the present time and that you have the time to run.

In the beginning though, you need to give your body time to adapt (strengthen bones, muscles, and tendons) before you push it too hard. Probably a minimum of twelve weeks is needed for this process to move along far enough.