Need a tiny bit of motivation

Hi everyone,

Ive been on MFP for many years, most of which I was awsome at - working out 5-6 days a week (before work at 6.00am) and logging everything and eating healthy. I lost almost 15 kilos and was so so happy. I logged everyday for over a year!

But I moved overseas in June and I cant seem to get the motivation back. Neither to eat well, exercise or log regularly. It has been difficult with the move to a new country, colder here right now, new job, dont know the language, gym memberships too expensive etc etc. Emotionally and mentally it has been tough. I am starting to eat better but Im tired all the time. I have put on a couple of kilos but I can see that I dont look fit anymore. Its breaks my heart. I have home workouts on the computer but I cant seem to get up early to exercise.

I feel like its all a bunch of b*ullshit and that I shouldnt be making any reasons. Get you a** off and do it!

I dont have much more to lose, the last 5 kilos perhaps. Can anyone suggest some motivation techniques/words of wisdom/tough or gentle love? Id appreciate it :)

Please also add me on if you have similar goals/concerns.

Many thanks!
Lily.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear... happy? no? go work out!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    +1
  • stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear... happy? no? go work out!

That was gold! Definitely not happy when I look at myself, absolutely not!
    Thanks for that :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I bet eating all that stuff that got you there in the first place wasnt b*ullsh1t though was it?
  • eldamiano wrote: »
    I bet eating all that stuff that got you there in the first place wasnt b*ullsh1t though was it?

Umm no...but Im not sure what you are trying to say here?
  • meowiyer
    meowiyer Posts: 19 Member
    The same almost happened to me. I moved to the US from India and then to Germany from the US -- moving to Germany was hard - same things you mention, the language, colder, feeling emotionally drained really. This was 2 years ago.

Things change, I've picked up my exercise and started to walk more (not having a car helped :)) and I feel great!

I used to be on anti-depressants when I was in the US, and just getting up and moving has helped me so much, I am off the meds now.

That for me is enough motivation and the extra exercise also helps with the "low feeling"

PM me if you want to talk more!

Cheers
  • GoldenOctober
    GoldenOctober Posts: 24 Member
    No pro at weight loss or moving overseas, so I can't say if it works, but maybe try to make the new country your "hobby" ...? Like, find out what (healthy) foods are traditional there, start walking, biking, running around to explore the area. Start taking pictures and blog about your experiences. Stuff like that.
    The reason I'm saying this is because it sounds as if you need to fall in love with the place you live in. It may be hard, but there's probably *something* good about it, even to you.
    I know what it feels like to not be happy with your surroundings and how that tarnishes everything, even the way you feel about yourself.

Remember that you already know how to work out regularly, log food and get fit. That's not the problem. Just focus on the beauty of the new place you're in now. (It's not all bad, is it? At least a bit exciting because it's foreign, right?)

Good luck!
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    I can only imagine that making a move like that would have a pretty big impact on your lifestyle. So you slacked off because you had a lot of other stuff going on in your life - big deal! Everyone is allowed to have those moments, you can't be 'perfect' all the time.

My advice is to forgive yourself for the slight slide backwards and begin by making better food choices again and easing yourself back into the physical activity. Instead of trying to jump right back in to your old schedule - perhaps start with a couple days a week, shorter periods until you can build yourself back up a bit. Maybe a slight loss on the scale will be enough to perk up that motivated side of yourself so you can continue on the path to your goal?

Regardless, don't let yourself feel like a failure! You had your reasons for taking a break from things and what I'm hearing is that you are ready to start again!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    No pro at weight loss or moving overseas, so I can't say if it works, but maybe try to make the new country your "hobby" ...? Like, find out what (healthy) foods are traditional there, start walking, biking, running around to explore the area. Start taking pictures and blog about your experiences. Stuff like that.
    The reason I'm saying this is because it sounds as if you need to fall in love with the place you live in. It may be hard, but there's probably *something* good about it, even to you.
    I know what it feels like to not be happy with your surroundings and how that tarnishes everything, even the way you feel about yourself.

Remember that you already know how to work out regularly, log food and get fit. That's not the problem. Just focus on the beauty of the new place you're in now. (It's not all bad, is it? At least a bit exciting because it's foreign, right?)

Good luck!

I love the sound of this! It's the most optimistic approach. Meet the locals, go to events, and find the holes in the wall with great food. It's the key to enjoying any new place, whether traveling or just getting settled in.
  • No pro at weight loss or moving overseas, so I can't say if it works, but maybe try to make the new country your "hobby" ...? Like, find out what (healthy) foods are traditional there, start walking, biking, running around to explore the area. Start taking pictures and blog about your experiences. Stuff like that...

Thank you! That is brilliant. And you are spot on. A lot of my lack of enthusiasm is because Im not in love with this place yet...which is ok as I might move back home to Australia if I continue to be miserable. But in the meantime, I want to look after my health and keep myself motivated and open to whatever life brings. I think it is the mental challenge that is affecting my routine. I'll not give up. I really appreciate your response - you are SO right.
    Zephalia wrote: »
    I can only imagine that making a move like that would have a pretty big impact on your lifestyle. So you slacked off because you had a lot of other stuff going on in your life - big deal! Everyone is allowed to have those moments, you can't be 'perfect' all the time.!

Yes, I think I am ready to get back. I dont like being lazy (no matter how great it feels). And thats a good point, Im trying to get myself back to 5 days a week..which is what I was used to..but perhaps 2 times in the first week is the way to go and gradually build it up. DAMN! Why didnt I think of that! Simple because Im over stretching myself all in one go. Thank you so much, you helped me see a simple solution to getting back to my usual self :)
  • digginDeep wrote: »
    That wasn't very helpful...

Haha, cheers for the support :)

meowiyer wrote: »
    The same almost happened to me. I moved to the US from India and then to Germany from the US -- moving to Germany was hard - same things you mention, the language, colder, feeling emotionally drained

Just send you a request :) Ah yes, emotionally drained and I also have a history with anxiety and depression so its been hard work (neither have gotten me badly but its always lurking). Exercise definitely helps keep the lows away. I am happy that you are off the medication. Keep it going! :) And thanks again!

• Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    LilyandO wrote: »
    Yes, I think I am ready to get back. I dont like being lazy (no matter how great it feels). And thats a good point, Im trying to get myself back to 5 days a week..which is what I was used to..but perhaps 2 times in the first week is the way to go and gradually build it up. DAMN! Why didnt I think of that! Simple because Im over stretching myself all in one go. Thank you so much, you helped me see a simple solution to getting back to my usual self :)

Glad to help. Sometimes I find myself getting into that 'all or nothing' mindset but that can be setting ourselves up for failure if we just don't have it in us at the time. Start out with something manageable and you will be proud of yourself and motivated to do more. Cheers!
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear... happy? no? go work out!

Perfect motivational quote!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member

Good luck!

I know the OP had already replied to this- but I just wanted to comment- this is so AWESOME! What a great idea! I'm not sure where the OP lives now, but what a great opportunity for her to get out and make exercise and adventure. Like, maybe, take her camera with her, and everyday, have a goal to photograph 5 things she finds interesting on her walk, and blog about them. Would be something to look forward to, as well as make it an adventure!

OP, I've never been in your situation, as I've only moved a whole 5 miles from one house to another (my family home to my aunt's Aunt's home that we bought in town, and she even still lives with us) But, I'm rooting for you, and wish you the best! This idea that GoldenOctober posted is amazing! Please keep us posted! If you decide to do this, please let us know! I'd like to see some pictures! :D

• I lost over half my body weight in a year and a half when I was first on MFP. Then I gained about 70 pounds back. 20 of it when I stopped using it and about 50 pounds recently. My motivation is looking at my before/after pictures (like my profile picture) AND the fact that I can no longer fit into any of my jeans. I only kept what actually fit and then 2 sizes higher when I reached my goal. I'm refusing to buy new clothes so I've been walking around in sweatpants lol.

I keep looking at all my sexy little outfits that won't even fit up over my *kitten* right now and I'm just like ... :| So that's a pretty big motivator for me to get back to where I was.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    I've been there before...moving overseas to somewhere you weren't exactly in love with. But I did find there are always some interesting things if you just look. Getting out is the first step. I never would have thought about it when I first got to Kuwait, but there's a bit of feeling of accomplishment running a half marathon when it's a "cold" 95F out.

But seriously that's the best way. Get outside and see stuff. You'll get used to the weather faster than you think, and you'll find at least one thing you'll like! And a year or two down the road, you can always go home. Good luck!
  • digginDeep wrote: »
    To be fair, I am pretty much with you- I have reached my goal and gone back up 25-30 lbs each time, through no fault of MFP, I honestly a.. method!

I hear you! I think Im going to start with SOMETHING rather than trying to get back to my usual self in a week. That was silly of me to expect! Good luck to you, I might add you on, if you dont mind?
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

I know the OP had already replied to this- but I just wanted to comment- this is so AWESOME! What a great idea! I'm not sure where the OP lives now, but what a great opportunity for her to get out...

I thought it was a brilliant suggestion too, glad it helped you as well. This is my 3rd continental move in 30 years and I think this has been super challenging mentally. So much uncertainty and that messed up all my routine. But thankfully, I have the community here who have been so supportive!
    I lost over half my body weight in a year and a half when I was first on MFP. Then I gained about 70 pounds back. 20 of it when I stopped using it and about 50 pounds recently...

Oh I still have some of the old trousers, dont know, maybe it makes me feel safe that I'll have clothes if I become heavier overnight??! Haha! I can completely understand, everything is not fitting yet again (not the way it used to) and that was the first motivator to do something about it. Good luck and keep me posted!
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    I've been there before...moving overseas to somewhere you weren't exactly in love with. But I did find there are always some interesting things if you just look.

Thank you for your kind words and support, phew, Kuwait is tough (grew up in the Middle East) and man, if you can do that, I should try and atleast love where I am. Thanks for the kick up the bottom!

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    OP, you can call me a creeper, because I just totally checked out your profile, curious as to where abouts you might be! I'm kinda special sometimes, so bear with me-- but if I'm correct in what your profile said, and you're in Munich, I has a TOTAL envy! Going to Germany is on "mah bukkit list!" My family MANY years ago came from Germany! (to anyone reading this- NO, NO, NO we are NOT, and I repeat NOT Nazis! We WERE in America during WWI and needless to say, my grandfathers were in WWII serving in the Army and Marines)

Anyway, from all of the pictures I've seen of Munich it is an absolutely GORGEOUS place! Expensive, yeah, then again, I've always been told I've got "champagne taste and a beer pocketbook." Knowing you're a vegetarian does make things a little harder in Germany, as meat IS the meal with just about every dish, but not always. :D I don't know if you enjoy beer at all, but my husband says they have some of the best in the world there.

I will tell you this, and it's not true of *all* people, so please, I mean ZERO offense to anyone in saying this- Many people of German ancestry, or who are German, period, tend to be a little more cold or closed off. My husband's family is German (both sides), and have only been over here for three generations. They're extremely cold, very quiet, and standoffish. They will come off as rude when not meaning to be. They in fact are kind people, they love their friends and family very much, BUT they aren't open, warm, or loving/affection by any means. Many people you may meet, may be like this, so it might take a little while for people to get to know you or warm up, so to speak. Being a Southerner, we love EVERYONE! We hug complete strangers, will talk to anyone, and show genuine concern. It's hard for us to fathom people being cold and closed off, but it's just how different people, in different parts of the country/world interact or their personalities. Now, obviously, not *every* Southerner is the same way, but in general, most are known for being very warm and friendly- you get the picture.

I know this has ZERO to do with eating and losing weight, but I wondered if maybe the new place might have you down a little because I know for me, if I moved somewhere, where, the climate was the complete opposite, people were the complete opposite of what I was used to, and I didn't know how to interact with these people, or I tried my best to be friends/make friends, and I was getting nowhere, not to mention, I didn't know their language, I'd feel awful defeated, and not feel motivated to do anything, either.

I do know a lot of Germans do speak English, even though that's *not* their first language. I know that you're overwhelmed, in general, as this has been a tough move for you- so get yourself together, and get focused on getting settled in. There have been SO many good suggestions. GoldenOctobers is still my favorite! I'm hoping we'll see a lot of pictures from your adventures! Please keep us posted on how you're doing!
  • GoldenOctober
    LilyandO wrote: »
    No pro at weight loss or moving overseas, so I can't say if it works, but maybe try to make the new country your "hobby" ...? Like, find out what (healthy) foods are traditional there, start walking, biking, running around to explore the area. Start taking pictures and blog about your experiences. Stuff like that...

Thank you! That is brilliant. And you are spot on. A lot of my lack of enthusiasm is because Im not in love with this place yet...which is ok as I might move back home to Australia if I continue to be miserable. But in the meantime, I want to look after my health and keep myself motivated and open to whatever life brings. I think it is the mental challenge that is affecting my routine. I'll not give up. I really appreciate your response - you are SO right.

Oh, I'm glad we agree on this. :smile:
    And yeah, having Australia in the back of your mind is a good thing, but then it can't hurt to make the best of your situation now, regardless how long you'll end up staying. :smile:

Me too, I looked at your profile, and Germany is really not that bad if you give it a chance. :blush: You can look forward to the Christmas markets in December! And before that enjoy the color of the fall leaves and the crispy, fresh autumn air ... At least that's what I do this time of year. :smile: (My nickname was no typo. :wink: )

Again, best of luck! And if you decide to blog about your experiences, please post a link in this thread, I'll keep it bookmarked just in case. :smile:
  • GoldenOctober
    Ha! Just looked at this thread again, and saw that I wrote "crispy" instead of "crisp". I wonder what brought that on. ;)