Flu Vaccine

Options

Replies

• PhoebeGrey
    Options
    No, though I admit I am germophobic. I was my hands frequently, always use antibacterial wet wipes on store shopping carts (untold number of germs there) and stay away from sick people. I also don't frequent crowded places like Malls during holiday season.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I will!

I work in hospice, and many of our patients can't get it, so me getting the flu shot helps with the herd immunity and doesn't make our patients extra sick. Quite honestly, the flu to most of our patients will kill them, and generally in a much faster way than whatever terminal illness they have, so even though our patients are terminally ill, we don't want them to have extra things bringing them down.

Also I hate being sick and I don't want to spend a few days on the couch using my limited PTO.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Going to get one on the way home tonight.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Done! Our Family has to stay on top of these things because of my Miracle Grandaughter who was born at 23 weeks 1lb 4oz. She's over a year now, but still has problems with her lungs and we Cannot risk her getting sick!

This is our Angel at 4 weeks and then now! :)
    dywkrkprjv42.jpg
    3ihkk8l7wq3i.jpg
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ITT: Anecdotal reasons and vaccine misunderstandings.

1. It is true that the vaccine does not protect against all influenza strains, but deciding which ones to include is not a "guess." It's not even an educated guess. There is massive amounts of research that goes into determining which flu strains have the greatest likelihood of prevalency in any given year. Do they get it wrong some years? Yes, but overall the determination process is amazingly succesful.

2. Not a single person here got the flu because you got the shot. Stop it. No you didn't. The human brain is awesome at making connections based on correlation instead of causation. The flu shot didn't give you the flu, full stop.

3. The flu shot can absolutely prevent you from getting the flu, if you are exposed to one of the strains to which you have previously been innoculated. If you are exposed to other strains, you may be infected, but the symptoms tend to be much less severe.

4. Having an immune system (even a strong one) and living in a first world country does not protect you from the influenza virus. When H1N1 went around in 2009, it killed over 12,000 people in the United States despite a vaccine being available, and 87% of those were large number of the affected were under the age of 65.

Get your shots, people. There's really no rational reason not to.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    No, I will not get a flu shot. I never had one until last year, and I got very sick, which seemed to be a nasty reaction to the flu shot itself. I would rather have had the flu.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always get vaccinated. It's the responsible thing to do, to protect myself and the children I work with.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've never gotten one in my life. I've also never had the flu.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    plus, you don't even have to get a shot anymore. There is a nasal inhalant that works just as well.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never have, and for the foreseeable future I likely never will.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, already done. I whine like a 2 year old about it beforehand but it's in both my and my childrens best interest to get one. My 3 month old deserves every bit of protection I can afford her.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have asthma so the flu and even a cold usually turns into Bronchitus and sometimes a hospital stay. Been getting the flu shot for several years now with great results and no flu.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    yes... in a high risk group, so yes I've gotten mine
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten the flu vaccine and I never will. I've heard too many horror stories and the shot does not protect 100%- it only protects against the viruses used to make the vaccine- which to me is not worth it.

There are better ways of protecting yourself against the flu than the vaccine.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I already got mine along with my husband and my 3 year old daughter. I feel responsible to proctect my family as well as others.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a job that brings me in constant contact with the public. I'd rather not get something from them that I could have prevented!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    yes. two young kids in the house. Mine is done. Rest of the family still needs theirs
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Having an immune system is only half of the equation. If you understand how it works, you'd know why the shot is so important--your immune system is much more effective if it recognizes the virus!

Get in the habit of getting your shots and taking care of yourself. If your immune system was already compromised and you were about to get sick anyway, maybe the shot didn't help you, but it will in the future.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    mank32 wrote: »
    We have a duty as humans to protect those who are weaker. When it comes to vaccine-preventable illnesses, those of us who can get an immunization should be doing our part to protect those who cannot.

i got mine last wednesday. it's hard to say no to a free flu shot when you work in a building with a billion people and share workspaces and handy/mouthy equipment like keyboards and headsets.

in years past I've gotten the shot and the flu, and I've not gotten the shot and not gotten the flu. still, i'll take my chances with the jab.

It's pretty easy, because 1. I have an immune system, and 2. I live in a first-world country.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but living in a first-world country doesn't protect you from contracting illnesses and diseases. Only ignorant people think that :)