Herbalife

Options
I am wanting to lose 30 lbs. Many of my fellow teachers tell me to try Herbalife. There is a new Herbalife formula
that is Soy Free and Gluten Free, ( I have Celiac Disease).
Has anyone had any success with meal replacement shakes? Do they make you feel full? Do they boost energy?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes, they make you feel full. Some may boost your energy, however beware on buying into the hype of Herbalife, Advocare, Plexus... etc.

From my experience, they are just overpriced and you can find very similar formulas and protein powders at GNC/ Vitamin World locations for much less.

I've used Herbalife and Advocare.. and I've used GNC brand and Vitamin World brand protein powders... as well as Atkins and Slim Fast High Protein ready to drink shakes.. They are all no different in my opinion.

The thing to remember in losing weight is that your total calorie intake should be LESS than what you're burning each day. If you want to drink shakes to get something more low calorie, go for it. For many people they are practical and easy to make with easy clean up.

Just remember that 200 calories = 200 calories. So, if you want to have a shake that is 200 calories, or a yogurt and some nuts/fruit, etc that are 200 calories.. its 200 calories at the end of the day and CALORIES IN should be LESS THAN CALORIES OUT.

Good luck!
  • gina_berry2
    gina_berry2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I usually skip meals so I was thinking a shake would be a better option than missing the meal completely. When I snack it is usually fruits, veggies and gluten free crackers or popcorn. I was told missing meals is what makes you gain weight. I may try Herbalife.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know people that have but once they stop the shake diet they gain it all back.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I get my energy from just getting in the habit of working out daily. I try to stay away from supplements like that. However, when I do reach plateaus then I tend to buy Shakeology. That really helped me lose weight. Just make sure you work out as well because supplements alone will not help. As soon as you stop you gaining back even faster. I've tried Herbalife before and it does taste good and keeps you full, but you have to drink a lot of different shakes and the caffeine made me crash.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I usually skip meals so I was thinking a shake would be a better option than missing the meal completely. When I snack it is usually fruits, veggies and gluten free crackers or popcorn. I was told missing meals is what makes you gain weight. I may try Herbalife.

Missing meals won't make you gain weight! If you are over your daily calories consistantly you will gain weight.

I'm not really sold on the idea of meal replacing shakes. To me if you have the control to stick to a shake instead of a meal, you have the control to eat within you calorie targets.

So I'd recommend logging your food here while eating foods you enjoy. If you find you are skipping meals then think about preparing meals in batches in advance so all you have to do is reheat, or take out of the fridge.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know people that have but once they stop the shake diet they gain it all back.
    I heard when people stop logging on MFP they gain it all back. Why? Because they eat too much.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your friends probably want to SELL you herbalife. That is all.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would not encourage anyone to take these overpriced, unproven multilevel marketing products. Go talk to your doctor and find something safe and legitimate.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

I have heard people shake when they stop this stuff. Serious withdraw issues.
    I've tried it and neither of these things happened when I stopped. But you don't need Herbalife to lose weight, just a caloric deficit.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I used to purchase Herballife in the early 90's when my brother sold it. Not only did it taste nasty but it made me light headed and sweat like a junkie. My heart felt like it would beat out of my chest. I don't recommend it at all. Planning your meals, counting your calories, and moving your body is much more effective.

true story
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the Herbalife or any similar diet. I do make a protein shake for breakfast each day on my own and I find that works just fine. And it's cheaper than Herbalife and the such. There are lost cost pre-made alternatives that you can find in the grocery store as well. I usually keep them around for emergencies...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I do drink a shake every day but it's the GNC Total Lean shake you can get in their stores. At buy one - get one half off it makes the price (premade shakes) something like $2.00 a piece. Considering I used to spend $5+ in the cafeteria in the morning, this is good for me. But I could do better if I ate at home cost-wise. I'm just plain too lazy to get up any earlier. :smiley: I'd much rather do this than have those crazy coaches/sellers on my case though!
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Actually I used Herbalife for two years and I really liked it. I lost 100 pounds and went from a size 18/20 to a size 12/14. It was wonderful. I have yet to find anything like it. The difference between Herbalife and other protein powders are the supplements that you take along with the protein shakes. The problem with this is two things - it's expensive and you have to stay with it. I had to stop because my husband was going through cancer treatments and was working. So I could no longer afford to stay on it. I tried to keep the weight off but I gained it all back. Some could have been due to stress but after I got off it - I didn't find anything quite like it. So I would suggest really doing your research and be prepared to make a lifelong commitment.
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    I heard when people stop logging on MFP they gain it all back. Why? Because they eat too much.

And here I thought it was because it was unhealthy for them to do the crash diet of replacing two meals a day with a shake that is around150 calories lead to the inability to keep up the plan, Feeling deprived and hungry, and not learning to replace bad food with good. I see why you would think that stopping a website and a shake diet are the same.
  • nopotofgold
    edited October 2014
    Options

I have heard people shake when they stop this stuff. Serious withdraw issues.
    I haven't heard of any of the people I know doing that. But it might the caffeine or B-complex that are in the stuff. Looking at most the serving information I would think it is easy to vitamin overdose on this stuff for the people that go on the liquid diets.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I used to purchase Herballife in the early 90's when my brother sold it. Not only did it taste nasty but it made me light headed and sweat like a junkie. My heart felt like it would beat out of my chest. I don't recommend it at all. Planning your meals, counting your calories, and moving your body is much more effective.

true story

Sounds like it might have had phenphen or something that actually worked! Sure it might've killed you, but it might've worked!

Yeah, amputating limbs works for weight loss as well. But that's not my thing either. lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

And here I thought it was because it was unhealthy for them to do the crash diet of replacing two meals a day with a shake that is around150 calories lead to the inability to keep up the plan, Feeling deprived and hungry, and not learning to replace bad food with good. I see why you would think that stopping a website and a shake diet are the same.

Eating more calories than you burn leads to weight gain according to MFP.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Save your money
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have suspicions that OP is a sneaky Herbalife sales person starting a thread to get it talked about. Too cynical...?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have suspicions that OP is a sneaky Herbalife sales person starting a thread to get it talked about. Too cynical...?

Heh, wouldn't surprise me. But if she did, it backfired.