wii boxing

Options
what are your opinions on wii fit boxing ? Is it similar to actual boxing ? I feel great after doing it for close to 40 minutes. I just want to be able to get a good workout in. Anyone got RESULTS from eating healthy and doing it?
( i am not looking for people to tell me to go to the gym, eat a 'special' diet etc.).

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is it similar to actual boxing ?

You burn a lot more calories when you're actually getting punched in the face

• moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like doing it for fun, it's also in the exercise section if you search for it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is pretty fun. I think the results would depend on what you put into it. I think anything that gets you up and moving and that you enjoy is good.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Wii boxing, but I can say that kickboxing with another person is way more rigorous than cardio kick. You expend a lot of strength and energy striking an object rather than the air.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cannot say Wii boxing is like real boxing. Granted, Wii boxing involves limited arm motion, real boxing requires the entire body to move. If you are looking to burn a few calories, fine. There are more effective ways to burn calories in a 40-minute span.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It is pretty fun. I think the results would depend on what you put into it. I think anything that gets you up and moving and that you enjoy is good.

This^

I know a kid who can sit in a chair & get lots of wins (knockouts, whatever)....this is the Wii Sports version.

I wouldn't say it's similar to actual boxing. Boxers move their feet quite a bit and they duck (like mini squats) too. Wii boxing never did much for my lower body. But if it increases your heart rate....that's a good thing.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love Wii boxing but I fell in love with Wii Bowling. When I had double knee replacement that was one of the things they had me do to practice my balance. So the Christmas after that my family bought me a Wii. I don't play it as much as I don't feel I have the time but when I do - I enjoy it. For 30 mins of Wii Bowling at my weight I burn 142 calories.
    -
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    I love Wii boxing but I fell in love with Wii Bowling. When I had double knee replacement that was one of the things they had me do to practice my balance. So the Christmas after that my family bought me a Wii. I don't play it as much as I don't feel I have the time but when I do - I enjoy it. For 30 mins of Wii Bowling at my weight I burn 142 calories.
    -

Another "light" Wii game is Walk It Out. This is where you walk around an island, and your steps (to the pace of the music) earn you points.

You buy things with your points to complete the island....cars, trees, buildings, bridges. If you need something (especially in the winter months) to increase your steps....this is great.

Amazon has a great "mini user manual" for Walk it Out in their WIO Discussion Forum. Spark People has tons of info too.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    irleshay wrote: »
    I haven't tried the Wii boxing, but I can say that kickboxing with another person is way more rigorous than cardio kick. You expend a lot of strength and energy striking an object rather than the air.

I agree with this. Striking an object really does make a difference in how much energy you use. I would guess that Wii Boxing would be similar to shadow boxing in that you are moving and punching without striking. This can be a great workout so if you are having fun and it gets you moving, keep up with it.

Actual boxing training brings in a few more elements like actually making contact with punches, mental awareness, blocking, and a lot of footwork. Sparring takes it to another level and a 2-3 min round can feel like you are sprinting the whole time.

It sounds like everything you want you are getting out of Wii Boxing so keep up with it. If you find it getting too easy and you want to continue with boxing, then I would say look up a local gym or club that offers classes and try it out.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I went from 240 to 180 using the various programs on Wii Active and Wii Active 2, which has a HRM, not as fun as game but good start if you don't want to get outside. I see do some workouts on rainy days.