Salad dressing ideas?

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
I often want to eat a huge salad (I'm talking a basic salad full of various greens, tomatoes, carrots, etc.) but get stuck when it comes to a tasty dressing that's not super high in calories. I don't want a bottle of chemicals, either.

I'd love to hear suggestions for homemade dressings or other alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't really use any official dressing. I just add some cottage cheese, greek yogurt, salsa, maybe some hummus. The salad gets plenty "dressed" enough with these sorts of things added.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar is tasty for very few calories, or honey and mustard dressing gives a lot of taste for a small amount.

Alternatively, cook some chicken in garlic and a dash of chilli powder and add to salad, the flavour of the chicken will go into the salad and make it tasty.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I normally use a blend of lemon juice and pepper. Super delicious and frankly 0 calories!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Look for Bolthouse Farms dressing in the refrigerated section near the vegetables. Lots of yummy choices for VERY reasonable calories!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    One of my favorites is lemon juice, a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, and some chopped fresh mint leaves.

Red bull Inn Italian dressing is 25 calories per serving. I love that one, too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard for me. Sometimes I don't even use oil.
  • Jibby1017
    Jibby1017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This one is fantastic, I don't know if it is in the database, but you can get info at CookingLight.com:
    Vanilla Pear Vinaigrette
    1 (15-ounce) can pear halves in juice, undrained
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Dash of ground red pepper
    Preparation
    To prepare dressing, drain pears, reserving 1/3 cup pear juice. Combine pears, juice, vinegar, and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

It's paired with this salad, also very good: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mixed-salad-with-vanilla-pear-vinaigrette-toasted-walnuts
  • Jibby1017
    Jibby1017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And I use jarred or fresh salsa for my salad dressing all the time, with extra lime juice.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Jibby1017 wrote: »
    This one is fantastic, I don't know if it is in the database, but you can get info at CookingLight.com:
    Vanilla Pear Vinaigrette
    1 (15-ounce) can pear halves in juice, undrained
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Dash of ground red pepper
    Preparation
    To prepare dressing, drain pears, reserving 1/3 cup pear juice. Combine pears, juice, vinegar, and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

It's paired with this salad, also very good: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mixed-salad-with-vanilla-pear-vinaigrette-toasted-walnuts

Wow, that dressing sounds so good!!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My favorite homemade vinaigrette. A lot of flavor, super simple to make. I didn't have lemon so I used lime and that worked great.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-salt-vinaigrette/
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    One of my favorites is lemon juice, a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, and some chopped fresh mint leaves.

Red bull Inn Italian dressing is 25 calories per serving. I love that one, too.

I'm going to try the lemon, EVOO and mint! Yum!

• Moonwillow1010
    Moonwillow1010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to use either Herdez Green Salsa or Frank's hot sauce! Gives it a kick with little to no calories.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use a cruet that you can buy at the grocery store, the kind next to the Good Seasons dressings. Here is a dressing that I make:

Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

Fill cruet to appropriate lines with balsamic vinegar, canola oil and water.

Add 1 tsp McCormick or Mrs. Dash “Garlic and Herb Seasoning”

Add 1 tsp onion powder

Add 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Add 1/2 tsp McCormick “All Purpose Seasoning”

Add 1/2 packet of Splenda

Put lid on and shake

Refrigerate
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Look for Bolthouse Farms dressing in the refrigerated section near the vegetables. Lots of yummy choices for VERY reasonable calories!

This. You can have two tablespoons of the chunky blue cheese dressing for only 35 calories. And it tastes great!!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Olive oil, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard for me. Sometimes I don't even use oil.

This is mine, except I experiment with different kinds of mustard (I like spicy brown ones best) and often leave out the oil. Sometimes I include some olive juice for a little extra olive flavor, though. I also might add garlic or herbs.

• fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont has several fat free dressings that are VERY low in calories. Their FF Balsamic and Raspberry Vinaigrettes are awesome.
    Panera Bread's Bottled Poppyseed Dressing rocks my world. It's my favorite dressing ever.
    Also hummus or salsa make a good salad topping.
  • aliciamarieeeeee
    Options
    I use 2 tbsp of dannon oikos dips either french onion or the cucumber dill & they are so good on my salads (I usually eat one per day) it seems to be a better option to dressing in my opinion & I prefer the taste.
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Such great feedback and ideas! Thank you - and keep 'em comin'!
  • jenniferchew2012
    jenniferchew2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I normally just use a balsamic and olive oil blend with some spices. But when I want creamy there are a couple variations I use with plain greek yogurt

Greek yogurt, bleu cheese, lemon juice, garlic powder

Greek yogurt, feta, lemon juice, mint

Greek yogurt, with a handful mixed fresh herbs and a garlic glove in food processor

Possibilities are endless!! :)