Bread?

Options
I'm at college and my healthy choices are lacking. I Lovee tuna salad sandwiches normally get it on a baguette and I know that's not the best choice.

Anyone have any suggestions on the lowest calirie breads or the healthiest

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    whole grain

29509743.png
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Bread is perfectly fine for a diet. If you want lower calorie bread, slice smaller pieces off the loaf, problem solved
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    wholegrain, wholemeal or rye bread are good choices :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Health is relative. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a baguette. That said, if you find that it's more calorie-dense than you'd like, then I'm sure there are lower calorie options. When I make my sandwiches, I usually look for a bread that will hold up to the contents of the sandwich without falling apart in the range of 110 (ish) calories per slice. This frequently means I end up with some sort of whole grain bread; the whole grains seem to give the bread more structure.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You need carbohydrates to live! As others have already noted, pick complex carbohydrates more often (whole wheat, rye, etc.) There's also a lot of fat in commercial tuna sandwiches. If you make it at home you can control that by adding low-fat mayonnaise, or just reduce the amount of mayonnaise altogether.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I love bread, but I eat a lot less of it now! I keep it in the freezer and take out one slice at a time. By reducing my portions, I can indulge in favorites. Does anyone else have a Cob's Bread bakery near them? The Chia bread is divine. I also like Pumpernickel.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    whole grain

29509743.png

Anti nutrients...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love bread. My faves are Ezekiel brands or Alvarado St. Bakery brands. Stick to your favorites or branch out. Acg67 said it best. Stick to your faves and try smaller portions. :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    whole grain
    (*) BINGO! (*)
    I cut much breads from my daily food intake, but whole grain is much better overall.

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    High fiber breads are usually lower in calories but for the most part all breads are similar in calories. Lower calories breads are usually just lower in weight as well.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Ezekial Bread .. try the cinnamon raisin!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Anything gluten free
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel
  • janiceesmith12
    janiceesmith12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like flat out flatbread wraps in the multigrain. 8 g of fiber with 100 calories. I use those instead of tortillas or sandwich bread. My other go-to is Light Multi-grain English Muffins. Also 8g fiber and 100 calories. I use those as hamburger buns. My son likes to put chicken salad on a toasted English Muffin.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A lot of times when I buy sub sandwiches from places like JJ or subway I consolidate the meat onto half of the bread and only eat half the bread. It makes for a much more hearty sandwich and I cut some of the calories.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What about trying to wrap in in a lettuce leaf. Iceberg or Romaine are my favorite. I fine I can have more of the tuna salad and still have it be less calories. Plus it cuts out most of the carbs.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a lower calorie bread, go with plain old white bread over any of the whole grain/multigrain breads, as they generally tend to have significantly more calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like flat out flatbread wraps in the multigrain. 8 g of fiber with 100 calories. I use those instead of tortillas or sandwich bread. My other go-to is Light Multi-grain English Muffins. Also 8g fiber and 100 calories. I use those as hamburger buns. My son likes to put chicken salad on a toasted English Muffin.

Careful on giving children the whole wheat or light multi grain English muffins. They have artificial sweetener in them. For a better option use the English muffins from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Bay's brand (found at Target). They do have to be kept in the fridge due though (but that's a good thing)

Here's the list of what's in the light multi grain:

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, FIBER (CELLULOSE AND/OR SOY), POLYDEXTROSE, FARINA, CORNMEAL, TOASTED CORN GERM, NATURAL FLAVOR, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE), SALT, CRACKED WHEAT, RYE, GRAIN VINEGAR, WHEY, DATEM, LEAVENING (MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA), MALT EXTRACT, GROUND CORN, SOYBEAN OIL, DEXTROSE, CELLULOSE GUM, BROWN RICE, OATS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, XANTHAN GUM, ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOYBEANS, TRITICALE, BARLEY, FLAXSEED, MILLET, SUCRALOSE, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MILK.

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I love these Flat Out's! They taste delicious and, like the poster said, the fiber is high for minimal calories. They come in all sorts of flavors, too, but I like the original. Another option is Nature's Own 40 calorie breads, of which I prefer the whole grain. Good stuff. Either that is leave yourself room for your favorite.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE bread and one of my biggest sources of temptation is that bread and butter basket on the table at most restaurants. I've been trying really hard to Just Say No, because I know how quickly the calories add up. But, man oh man, there's nothing like hot freshly baked baguette and good raw milk local cheese.

Having said that: Whole grain bread (not multigrain, actual whole grain) is just as calorie-rich, but the calories are healthier because the carbs are more complex, richer in fibre, and will keep you feeling full longer. I've been making the switch gradually from white to whole wheat breads, pastas, flour, etc. In most cases it tastes just as good.