Bread?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I like flat out flatbread wraps in the multigrain. 8 g of fiber with 100 calories. I use those instead of tortillas or sandwich bread. My other go-to is Light Multi-grain English Muffins. Also 8g fiber and 100 calories. I use those as hamburger buns. My son likes to put chicken salad on a toasted English Muffin.

I love these Flat Out's! They taste delicious and, like the poster said, the fiber is high for minimal calories. They come in all sorts of flavors, too, but I like the original. Another option is Nature's Own 40 calorie breads, of which I prefer the whole grain. Good stuff. Either that is leave yourself room for your favorite.

Flat Out's have fiber because the manufacturer adds wood pulp to them. (cellulose) :|
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    I like flat out flatbread wraps in the multigrain. 8 g of fiber with 100 calories. I use those instead of tortillas or sandwich bread. My other go-to is Light Multi-grain English Muffins. Also 8g fiber and 100 calories. I use those as hamburger buns. My son likes to put chicken salad on a toasted English Muffin.

Careful on giving children the whole wheat or light multi grain English muffins. They have artificial sweetener in them. For a better option use the English muffins from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Bay's brand (found at Target). They do have to be kept in the fridge due though (but that's a good thing)

Here's the list of what's in the light multi grain:

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, FIBER (CELLULOSE AND/OR SOY), POLYDEXTROSE, FARINA, CORNMEAL, TOASTED CORN GERM, NATURAL FLAVOR, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE), SALT, CRACKED WHEAT, RYE, GRAIN VINEGAR, WHEY, DATEM, LEAVENING (MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA), MALT EXTRACT, GROUND CORN, SOYBEAN OIL, DEXTROSE, CELLULOSE GUM, BROWN RICE, OATS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, XANTHAN GUM, ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOYBEANS, TRITICALE, BARLEY, FLAXSEED, MILLET, SUCRALOSE, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MILK.

And? Why are artificial sweeteners bad for children?

• Acg67
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I love love LOVE bread and one of my biggest sources of temptation is that bread and butter basket on the table at most restaurants. I've been trying really hard to Just Say No, because I know how quickly the calories add up. But, man oh man, there's nothing like hot freshly baked baguette and good raw milk local cheese.

Having said that: Whole grain bread (not multigrain, actual whole grain) is just as calorie-rich, but the calories are healthier because the carbs are more complex, richer in fibre, and will keep you feeling full longer. I've been making the switch gradually from white to whole wheat breads, pastas, flour, etc. In most cases it tastes just as good.

Healthier?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/3/418.full.pdf+html

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/106/4/493.full.pdf
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I only eat Ezekiel bread, which is flourless and no preservatives
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's healthier, but day-to-day I try to pick bread with higher fiber content.
    Fiber + Fat = full for hours
  • Onesnap
    Options

Pregnant women are not supposed to consume artificial sweeteners.

In particular SUCRALOSE is one that comes with a lot of warnings for kids. Below is one from the NYU Medical center. At the end of the day it's a personal decision for the parent. I personally have to avoid all artificial sweeteners (doctor's orders, it's a headache inducer for me)

"Although the safety of sucralose has been confirmed for all people of all ages, good judgment must prevail when allowing children to consume low-calorie products. A child's body is growing so quickly that substituting nutritious, growth-supporting carbohydrates with non-nutritive sweeteners may not a good idea. Energy from carbohydrates is extremely important to a growing child's body, and artificial sweeteners supply no growth-supporting energy whatsoever. Aside from running the risk of your child missing essential nutrients, allowing over-consumption of low-calorie foods lays the foundation for a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits."

• delanab4
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Artificial sweeteners are bad for children and the rest of us too. The more I learn, the more I'm disgusted with our food supply and try to do everything myself from scratch. Makes sense - a manufacturer wants to supply a product at the lowest cost to them, that will last the longest on the shelf. That concept does NOT work in our favor. :(
    -
  • Onesnap
    Options
    delanab4 wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Artificial sweeteners are bad for children and the rest of us too. The more I learn, the more I'm disgusted with our food supply and try to do everything myself from scratch. Makes sense - a manufacturer wants to supply a product at the lowest cost to them, that will last the longest on the shelf. That concept does NOT work in our favor. :(
    -

Thank you for agreeing! I also found this from parenting.com:

"In his book Excitotoxins, board-certified neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock reviews the studies on aspartame and concludes that it is not safe, especially for the growing brains of children. Aspartame contains four calories per teaspoon, compared to the 16 in table sugar. Is saving a mere 12 calories really worth the potential risks of feeding these chemicals to your child? In regards to Splenda, the manufacturer states that, because the body doesn't digest or metabolize Splenda, it is a "no calorie" sweetener. According to the research reports in the Federal Register (the official publication of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration), however, 20 to 30 percent of ingested Splenda is indeed metabolized by humans. And animal studies have resulted in wide individual variations concerning the amount of Splenda absorbed."

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

In particular SUCRALOSE is one that comes with a lot of warnings for kids. Below is one from the NYU Medical center. At the end of the day it's a personal decision for the parent. I personally have to avoid all artificial sweeteners (doctor's orders, it's a headache inducer for me)

"Although the safety of sucralose has been confirmed for all people of all ages, good judgment must prevail when allowing children to consume low-calorie products. A child's body is growing so quickly that substituting nutritious, growth-supporting carbohydrates with non-nutritive sweeteners may not a good idea. Energy from carbohydrates is extremely important to a growing child's body, and artificial sweeteners supply no growth-supporting energy whatsoever. Aside from running the risk of your child missing essential nutrients, allowing over-consumption of low-calorie foods lays the foundation for a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits."

So their objection to artificial sweeteners is that they don't provide energy? Here kid, have an extra dob of peanut butter on your bread. Problem solved...
  • Acg67
    Options

LMAO, did you even read that link you posted? It is not a warning from NYU, it is an editorial from one Lynn Tripp. The section you quoted is laughable at best
  • Onesnap
    Options

LMAO, did you even read that link you posted? It is not a warning from NYU, it is an editorial from one Lynn Tripp. The section you quoted is laughable at best

I'm not going to argue with you on the finer points of pros and cons of giving kids products with sucralose. The article I got it from said it was from NYU Medical. We can argue back and forth all day about this but if you decide to give a kid artificial sweetener it's your own personal choice. Just look at Truvia--made using 40 chemical compounds.

I grew up in a house without artificial sweeteners and I've always been a healthy weight. It's a personal choice...but I grew up with real sugar, honey, and real maple syrup.
    BACK to the topic at hand (bread!) my advice is to read the labels. Even bread baked in a bakery can have preservatives, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners. I find that bread that has to be refrigerated (using the Bay's English muffin example again) is best. For me...I always have to read labels since I can't have artificial sweeteners and they pop up in bread products in many brands.

• Acg67
    Options

I'm not going to argue with you on the finer points of pros and cons of giving kids products with sucralose. The article I got it from said it was from NYU Medical. We can argue back and forth all day about this but if you decide to give a kid artificial sweetener it's your own personal choice. Just look at Truvia--made using 40 chemical compounds.

I grew up in a house without artificial sweeteners and I've always been a healthy weight. It's a personal choice...but I grew up with real sugar, honey, and real maple syrup.
    BACK to the topic at hand (bread!) my advice is to read the labels. Even bread baked in a bakery can have preservatives, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners. I find that bread that has to be refrigerated (using the Bay's English muffin example again) is best. For me...I always have to read labels since I can't have artificial sweeteners and they pop up in bread products in many brands.

Perhaps next time it might be of some benefit to actually read the source material instead of relying on some website to tell you things.

Woah Truvia has over 40 chemical compounds? That's way less than your average fruit or vegetable, so does that make it healthier?

As for bread, I generally find the best is fresh baked from a reputable bakery, they don't even come with an ingredient label
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Ezekial Bread .. try the cinnamon raisin!

My absolute favorite! It's like dessert, but MUCH better for you.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Perhaps next time it might be of some benefit to actually read the source material instead of relying on some website to tell you things.

Woah Truvia has over 40 chemical compounds? That's way less than your average fruit or vegetable, so does that make it healthier?

As for bread, I generally find the best is fresh baked from a reputable bakery, they don't even come with an ingredient label

I did not say "Truvia has over 40 chemical compounds" I said it was "made using 40 chemical compounds"

Again--personal choice if you eat artificial sweeteners or give them to children. I'm not going to argue about it.

In the case of the OP they are a student and it may not be practical to buy bakery-fresh bread (goes bad quickly). They may be ordering the tuna sandwich at school. If not, (and if they have a fridge) I would say get bread without preservatives, without corn syrup, and without artificial sweeteners (again, personal choice here). Remember, bread baked in a grocery store bakery is likely to have corn syrup and preservatives.

• EvanKeel
    Options

I did not say "Truvia has over 40 chemical compounds" I said it was "made using 40 chemical compounds"

Again--personal choice if you eat artificial sweeteners or give them to children. I'm not going to argue about it.

In the case of the OP they are a student and it may not be practical to buy bakery-fresh bread (goes bad quickly). They may be ordering the tuna sandwich at school. If not, (and if they have a fridge) I would say get bread without preservatives, without corn syrup, and without artificial sweeteners (again, personal choice here). Remember, bread baked in a grocery store bakery is likely to have corn syrup and preservatives.

I don't know, this reads like back peddling to me. First you make general statements about not eating artificial sweeteners as if it's Truth with a capital T, and then say it's a personal choice and you're not going to debate it....as if it's just a preference or a superstition.

Just sounds like you want to say what you want to say without having someone challenge you on it. It's not really how forums work, though.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Chemicals are not necessarily bad. Everything in the world is made up of chemicals. Chemicals are natural. 'Natural' is not necessarily good or bad. The debate about artificial sweeteners for children is, from what I gather, partly based on the psychological damage of instilling "dieting" behaviour on kids who are still growing and have a shaky sense of body image and self confidence, and partly due to the fact that there's nutritional value in things like whole milk, sugar, butter, etc. that kids need and that healthy, active kids will burn off due to energy anyway.

But, back to the OP's topic, if you love bread, eat bread. Just eat less of it. And in my opinion whole grain bread keeps me feeling fuller, longer.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I don't know, this reads like back peddling to me. First you make general statements about not eating artificial sweeteners as if it's Truth with a capital T, and then say it's a personal choice and you're not going to debate it....as if it's just a preference or a superstition.

Just sounds like you want to say what you want to say without having someone challenge you on it. It's not really how forums work, though.

Not backpedaling. Perfectly able and willing to have a good debate on the topic but it's straying too far from the original topic by the OP.

You can challenge me all day long--but I just don't want to have an argument about it. I'm not the only responder that said that artificial sweeteners are bad for kids. I was told to avoid artificial sweeteners by my doctor (stated that earlier). I stand by my statement that it's a personal choice, and I'm not making blanket statements.

If you could direct me to a article, source, documentary even that says that artificial sweeteners are not harmful to children please feel free to respond with that.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I bake my own bread once a week. This week, I made 100% whole wheat. I used the King Arthur's Flour 100% whole wheat recipe. For the sweetener, I used molasses in one loaf and honey in the other (didn't have enough honey for both) The calorie content is a little higher but you can't beat knowing exactly what is in your bread. Plus it's super filling. I eat a slice for breakfast with some butter and I'm good until lunch.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I bake my own bread once a week. This week, I made 100% whole wheat. I used the King Arthur's Flour 100% whole wheat recipe. For the sweetener, I used molasses in one loaf and honey in the other (didn't have enough honey for both) The calorie content is a little higher but you can't beat knowing exactly what is in your bread. Plus it's super filling. I eat a slice for breakfast with some butter and I'm good until lunch.

100% whole wheat? How did that turn out? I've tried as high as 60% but that's really pushing it if you want it to resemble...well bread really rather than a rock.
  • EvanKeel
    edited October 2014
    Options

You can challenge me all day long--but I just don't want to have an argument about it. I'm not the only responder that said that artificial sweeteners are bad for kids. I was told to avoid artificial sweeteners by my doctor (stated that earlier). I stand by my statement that it's a personal choice, and I'm not making blanket statements.

If you don't want to have a discussion about it, I have no reason to accept anything you say as valid...especially if we look at what you've provided as evidence.

If you could direct me to a article, source, documentary even that says that artificial sweeteners are not harmful to children please feel free to respond with that.

Hello Russell's Teapot.