Gaining weight, not losing, totally confused.

Options

Replies

• MollyGirl32
    MollyGirl32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you have an underlying health issue. Consider going to your doctor just to make sure. Have them check your Thyroid, check for PCOS, do a full panel (B12, D....).
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I already thought about that. Had to wait till after the weekend to call my dr. Im callng him in a few hours to do a check up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat? How long have you been at this?
  • april32many
    Options
    Hey there-

I just wanna let you know that when I work out a lot and eat right, I gain a day or two before a big drop. I always have. I kept charts for two years on my gains and losses and inevitably, before I'd drop a couple pounds I'd put on one. My chart looked like a heart beat monitor on a slow decline. So, that's another answer! I really like what funchords said. It can be really frustrating when you're doing the right things and don't see progress, but if you don't weigh and measure (at least for a bit to make portions a habit and let the stomach shrink) then you won't lose. Finally, some people say that you don't have to starve to lose weight and while I agree, I will say that whenever I've lost weight and kept it off considerably, it's because I've gone to bed a little bit hungry. I know it's not like that for everyone but it's like that for me:( Calculators set me at 800 calories a day to lose with my currently sedentary lifestyle. I've been keeping it right at 1200-1400 a day with no gains. For now, until school lets up, maintaining is progress.

You'll figure it out. It's only been 3 weeks. It takes me around a month to start noticing changes. Keep at it!!!
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, you wouldn't starve. It would take you some time to get used to the drastic reduction in calories, but if you can stick with it for a while, your body will adjust and 1200 will feel perfectly satisfying. Some tricks to help your body adjust, after every bit of food you take, take a sip of water and no matter if you are eating breakfast, dinner, or a snack, take at least 20 minutes to eat it! Just give it a try for a week, you'll see results and you might be surprised at how easy it actually is!

BTW, I advise this from experience. It's currently what I'm doing - I know I have to retrain my brain to want less food and if you put yourself on a diet that is super structured, you can take out the choices and then you can learn to not think of food at all except for when it's time to eat!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been measuring my food in cups. Like today I had 2 cups or multigrain cheerios for breakfast with a half cup of milk, plus a few tsp of sugar. Gets me 430 cals. I use livestrong more then I use this site because this one only wants me to eat 1200 cals a day. From a person who use to eart 2500+ that doesnt look like a goal I can make right now. With a sedentary lifestyle on LIVESTRONG it says to eat 1400. Thats a little better.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food intake on here or on another app? If you were to open your MFP diary like people have been asking, we can all give you suggestions on helping you with accuracy when it comes to logging your food.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention due to the increase in/change in activity and workouts. I would say stick with is for 3-4 weeks, If you don't lose at that time I would lower cals by 200ish/day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1200 is probably too low... you're supposed to eat back exercise calories. I checked http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and it says 1800 calories too. My guess is you're underestimating your calories and that's why you're not losing.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    So I should probably stay a few hundred below my goal just incase im underestimating calories.
  • jkal1979
    Options
    No, you should work on being more accurate with your calories. A food scale is a great tool for that.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    No, you should work on being more accurate with your calories. A food scale is a great tool for that.

Yeah I agree, cups are not accurate. You will need to weigh your food.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    From a fellow short person ..... I am 5' and I have learned that eating like "normal" people is just not possible. I am getting close to my goal weight now, and I literally can ONLY eat 1200 calories a day and not eat back my exercise calories in order to continue to lose weight.

I will also say, that when I started my weight loss journey, it took me a solid month to start losing weight. It takes time. Although I do recommend cutting your cals back a little, be patient!! Also, take a before pic and take pics of yourself, it helps A LOT when your are not losing, especially if you are doing strength training, to see the changes in your body when they may not necessarily be showing up on the scale. Feel free to add me!!
  • jkal1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Don't make me flag you post for using logic.

Sorry, I forgot where I was for a moment. Next time I'll make sure to recommend whatever snake oil Dr. Oz is promoting this week.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So I should probably stay a few hundred below my goal just incase im underestimating calories.

Or try more accurate measuring what you're eating - weighing rather than cups for starts.

• kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you... Ill try that.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im Kristin. 23 years old. 4'11 and my start weight was 184. I do the bikini body mommy challenge everyday. 3 days strength training 8-20 mins long, cardio/ HITT 20-40 mins long and a rest day. I use to eat 2000+ calories. Drink most of my calorie intake and lay on the couch all day. I thought my weight would just come off fast. Im starting week 3 today with my strength training. I went from 184 to 183 to 184. Then this morning I was up 185. I dont understand why im not losing weight. Im eating 1500-1800 calories a day and working out. No pop inless I have calories left over every once in a while. I dont know what im doing wrong,

TDEE minus 20% says you should be eating about 1560/day to lose. I'd try to stick right around there.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm going to point you to the Eat, Train, Progress Group. Sara and Sidesteel are amazing. The link below is the basics as Sara lays out, and they are spot on. Take the time to really read and absorb the information, read through the links in there.... It is definitely worth the time. They have made a huge difference for me, and for many others I know here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it

Best of luck!
  • 84christy
    84christy Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat too, when starting weight training people sometimes "gain weight" according to the scale but "feel" better, because they are gaining good muscle and loosing fat.