What piece of clothing made you realize.....

Options

Replies

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When my size 22-24 pants were tight.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My summer dresses. This summer I had to make do with only 2 and one stretchy dress I bought last year. :cry:

And my jeans, when they ripped at the back seam. The second pair won't even go over my thighs. Luckily my skirts all still fit, even though they sit higher on my "waist".

Next summer I will fit into all my dresses again!
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Late to the party but ... believe it or not ... a sari.

Seriously. A sari may be One Size Fits All, but it is definitely not One Size Looks Good On All. I saw some pics and I looked like a dumpy middle-aged auntie. At a Bollywood dance party, I'd be the chaperone. NoooOOOO!

And then I went out somewhere in a salwar kameez ... the absolutely perfect style for real women's bodies, flowing and A-line and all that ... and it was an outfit that had always kind of (ahem) minimized my middle ... but in the pics, I looked like a stuffed parachute.

So OK, time to make changes ...
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It actually wasn't clothing for me, necessarily. I went to a bar with some friends and wore a top that had always been *slightly* big on me, and this time it actually fit. I knew I'd gained a little weight, but figured it wasn't too bad. Anyway, the bar we went to had mirrors all over the walls. While we were talking, I scanned the room, looking for the last friend to show up, and I saw the reflection of someone in a pink top. My instant thought was, "She looks nice, but she's a little chubby," and then I realized it was me. I went home and weighed myself, and it wasn't just a few pounds!
  • RockAShelley
    RockAShelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was at the bridal shop. I had waited over 6 months for my wedding gown to come in, I was so excited i could hardly stand it...until she zipped me in. It was so tight I couldn't sit down in it and you could see the indent of my belly button... it was a size 20. Owner of the bridal store wanted me to return the dress and order the next size up but i was insistent that i could lose enough to make it fit.

When i went back 7 months later to get fitted for alterations I had lost so much weight (43lbs) through clean eating and exercise that they had to use big clips to keep the dress on my body. The Store owner lectured me on losing too much weight and the seamstress looked overwhelmed.

they took my dress in 6" through the top and waist, 8" in my hips, and had to take 3.5" off the bottom of the dress since it was now dragging the ground.

The sad thing was that i had seen the number on my scale go down, but when i looked in the mirror i didnt think i looked that much different, most of my clothes still fine. Maybe a little lose but not baggy. Seeing my wedding dress though that was my sign.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd bought a new fine knit top, I didn't try it on in the shop as it's the sort of thing that normally suits me. Got it home and it looked awful on me, just clung to all the wrong places and looked a mess. I chucked it in my wardrobe and have just started wearing it having lost 17lb, it looks a whole load better now!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me it was when my size 16 pants were skin tight. I knew if I got very much bigger I wouldn't be able to find my size in the regular stores. That and the scale hit 200 lbs, and I absolutely refuse to be 200 lbs! Anyway, the size 16's went from skin tight to loose to flinging my ring out of their pockets and into a poopy toilet at work. Turns out that's a thing that happens if your pants are too big.

I'm a size 12 now, and I had to buy a new ring. Rings are no longer allowed to come to the bathroom with me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    All of my work pants (22) were starting to get a little tight. Now I'm in 18s and still dropping!
  • KeeRae1989
    KeeRae1989 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My "I'm Bloated and I don't care what I look like today" jeans started getting too tight...
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't wear that stupid body shaper any more. It was annoying and uncomfortable and I hated wearing it, and I decided not to wear it anymore...
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I had to buy size 20 jeans (pre-pregnancy) But by the time I was 9 months pregnant, I could button and zip those size 20 pants OVER my big belly and they still fell off!
  • bhberth
    bhberth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I folded a pair of my jeans and put them in my hubby's drawer thinking they were his. When I can't even tell our jeans apart anymore, it's time to do something. :(
  • joyouswiggle
    joyouswiggle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not so much something not fitting, but noticing any clothes which showed my stomach (bikinis, tight tops) really didn't look right on my spare tyre. Now I'm tackling it, I should look a lot better in a few months!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, socks and shoes. I had to slither into my jeans laying down, my maternity clothes were still my favorite clothes a year post-partum, but it was the socks and shoes that finally hit home for me. I always thought I had decent a decent calf, but one day I realized they looked like tree trunks. All definition was gone, and although I wasn't much heavier than I'd been during the 10 previous years, for the first time I noticed those 'cankles' that I never thought could happen to me. I'd wear sneakers and they looked ridiculous. Socks left marks on my ankles. It was too different, and too much. Now 40 lbs less, I can flex a calf muscle again, and its far more rewarding to me than anything the scale says.
  • applejax86
    applejax86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Jean skirt the last one I owned that still "fit" I sat on the floor wearing it and couldn't breathe. I cried and then threw out my junk food. Down 19 lbs.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    God so many things.

Size 24 jeans getting tight
    Struggling into XXL scrubs
    My wedding ring being too tight to wear (need to try it on again actually)
    Having to buy size 6 shoes instead of 5s because my feet got fat
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I could no longer fit into any of my size 3x tops and 24-26 pants. I knew being in the three hundreds was dangerous and that was when I vowed to never look back. Now all the 3xs are getting big on me. :)
    Lisa
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My jeans. I have to wear leggings for work, so they just kept stretching as I got bigger. I like to wear designer jeans and mine were busting at the seams.

Also, I knew when I was looking for shirts in stores thinking smalls LOOKED small-though that was my old size.
  • jazminefoley2013
    Options
    My cap and gown dress! It fit me great during graduation, put it on a couple months later, I couldn't breathe! I blamed it on the wash but I knew it was my own fault!
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Button up shirts have always been an issue. I always where tank tops under because I am bigger on top. But when I can't button under the bust there was a big problem. I also had a great pair of work slacks. I complained how cheap they were because first one button popped off.... then the other one popped off so I replaced it grouchily. Then the zipper busted. Finally had to admit it wasn't the pants... it was me. :'(