Bread?

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »

I thought it would be too. lol. It is denser than the white bread I make, but not rock-like at all. Here is the recipe I use.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

My aunt used to make her own bread like this and it was traumatic. She always put in too much flour and didn't let it rise enough and it'd come out like a brick. Visiting her house I'd have to eat those sandwiches and toast and pretend it didn't feel like I was eating wads of leather! There is a lot of bad bread in the world, lol.

My sympathies, my mother was a horrible cook as was her mother so I know how it is to endure these things. I'm a much better cook than my mother and my daughter is a chef at a 5-star hotel. Glad being a horrible cook is not genetic!

I've been baking my own yeast breads for a couple of years and had some real clunkers in the beginning. I've kind of mastered it now. For this whole wheat recipe I posted, the big thing is not to knead the dough until you've let it rest about 20 minutes. Also, this is a stickier dough than white bread and you just have to deal with that. Too much flour = door stop.

For a good rise I like to heat my oven to 100 and then turn it off and let the bread rise in the 100 degree oven. I also cover it in plastic wrap which I have found works better than a clean towel (which is what most of my recipes tell me to use). I also have found that a lot of people don't let their yeast proof long enough.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Got to Walmart or Martins (They are cheaper at Wal-Mart though).... Look for St Josephs Whole Grain (with Oatmeal & Flax Seed) lavash bread. 50 Calories per 1/2 sheet serving. Great for making wraps. They also make a REALLY good Pita that comes in at just 60 calories. Both are nice and soft in texture without the hard graininess of some other "diet" breads. I regularly make tuna salad on a pita and it comes in under 200 calories.

A word of caution.... are a touch high in sodium, so you will want to fill them with things that aren't high in sodium or you could end up eating half or more of your recommended allotment of salt in one meal. But they are a great bread substitute and I have been eating them throughout my journey... Both come in a zip-loc package with red & black printing on them.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For a good rise I like to heat my oven to 100 and then turn it off and let the bread rise in the 100 degree oven. I also cover it in plastic wrap which I have found works better than a clean towel (which is what most of my recipes tell me to use).

Doesn't the plastic wrap melt in an 100 degree oven?
  • Hymay
    Hymay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bread altogether, the best, and Healthiest tuna sammiches are served in a bell pepper (red, yel, orange).. just cut in half, remove seeds, and insert tuna mix.

Next step to making it healthier would be to avoid store mayo & its industrial soy oil base (chemical solvent extracted, almost certainly gmo, and likely hydrogenated to top it off). Make your own with non artifical oils.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I thought it would be too. lol. It is denser than the white bread I make, but not rock-like at all. Here is the recipe I use.

My aunt used to make her own bread like this and it was traumatic. She always put in too much flour and didn't let it rise enough and it'd come out like a brick. Visiting her house I'd have to eat those sandwiches and toast and pretend it didn't feel like I was eating wads of leather! There is a lot of bad bread in the world, lol.

My sympathies, my mother was a horrible cook as was her mother so I know how it is to endure these things. I'm a much better cook than my mother and my daughter is a chef at a 5-star hotel. Glad being a horrible cook is not genetic!

I've been baking my own yeast breads for a couple of years and had some real clunkers in the beginning. I've kind of mastered it now. For this whole wheat recipe I posted, the big thing is not to knead the dough until you've let it rest about 20 minutes. Also, this is a stickier dough than white bread and you just have to deal with that. Too much flour = door stop.

For a good rise I like to heat my oven to 100 and then turn it off and let the bread rise in the 100 degree oven. I also cover it in plastic wrap which I have found works better than a clean towel (which is what most of my recipes tell me to use). I also have found that a lot of people don't let their yeast proof long enough.

Super cool to have a chef daughter!!

I never understood why my aunt's bread never improved. She's been making the same bread for at least 30 years. Generations of abuse on her children and grandchildren. >:)

I would eat your bread anyday enterdanger. ;)

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Thanks, for the tips I'll give it a try some time when I'm in the mood for a heavy bread.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    For a good rise I like to heat my oven to 100 and then turn it off and let the bread rise in the 100 degree oven. I also cover it in plastic wrap which I have found works better than a clean towel (which is what most of my recipes tell me to use).

Doesn't the plastic wrap melt in an 100 degree oven?

Polyethylene has a melting point of 239F or 115C so it should be fine. 100F is the typical raising temperature and shouldn't cause any problems.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Super cool to have a chef daughter!!

I never understood why my aunt's bread never improved. She's been making the same bread for at least 30 years. Generations of abuse on her children and grandchildren. >:)

I would eat your bread anyday enterdanger. ;)

I never thought my daughter would be a chef, she took a year off of school to make some money and ended up in the chef training program at the hotel. Oh, it's great to have her home for the holidays in more ways than one!
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I never thought my daughter would be a chef, she took a year off of school to make some money and ended up in the chef training program at the hotel. Oh, it's great to have her home for the holidays in more ways than one!

I bet! I hope you take full advantage. :blush:

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    you should worry more about tuna and mercury
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    cheap bread, supermarket generic white or brown is lower in calories than most bread on the market. Plus is stores well, tastes good, and stays soft.

I usually buy "sandwich white" or "sandwich wheat" for about 1.00 per 24 oz loaf.

Same here. 88 cent loaves from Walmart--BOOM! Sometimes I'm REALLY evil, and eat the 40 calorie/slice bread with added wood pulp for fiber (when it's on sale and I have a coupon). Am I going to hell after an awful, slow and grisly death from eating cheap bread? :|
  • SantiMig
    Options
    whole wheat is the WORST!!! High glycemic index. Skip the bread when you can!!!!!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    There is a 35 calorie whole wheat bread sold in stores. It has a huge 35 on the package.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hymay wrote: »
    Ditch the bread altogether, the best, and Healthiest tuna sammiches are served in a bell pepper (red, yel, orange).. just cut in half, remove seeds, and insert tuna mix.

Next step to making it healthier would be to avoid store mayo & its industrial soy oil base (chemical solvent extracted, almost certainly gmo, and likely hydrogenated to top it off). Make your own with non artifical oils.

It wouldn't be a sandwich if it was served in a bell pepper and in no reality would that be better than good fresh baked bread.

Please state why gmo would be bad in the case of mayo?
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's not the bread that is bad for you it's that high calorie MAYO they use in the tuna.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

It wouldn't be a sandwich if it was served in a bell pepper and in no reality would that be better than good fresh baked bread.

Please state why gmo would be bad in the case of mayo?

Who needs bread for a sandwich! ;)

xr3oorcw9jjm.jpg
  • jasongrant777
    Options
    Paleo bread from Whole Foods all the way.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Polyethylene has a melting point of 239F or 115C so it should be fine. 100F is the typical raising temperature and shouldn't cause any problems.

You're right. I was thinking in degrees Celsius.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is not a sandwich..that is a stuffed pepper…

yea, just avoid everything that is "bad'…rollzzz eyezzzz