Bread?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Chemicals are not necessarily bad. Everything in the world is made up of chemicals. Chemicals are natural. 'Natural' is not necessarily good or bad. The debate about artificial sweeteners for children is, from what I gather, partly based on the psychological damage of instilling "dieting" behaviour on kids who are still growing and have a shaky sense of body image and self confidence, and partly due to the fact that there's nutritional value in things like whole milk, sugar, butter, etc. that kids need and that healthy, active kids will burn off due to energy anyway.

But, back to the OP's topic, if you love bread, eat bread. Just eat less of it. And in my opinion whole grain bread keeps me feeling fuller, longer.

Agree...chemicals are not necessarily bad.

I just think there's too little information out there about what artificial sweeteners do to growing children. There was a recent article in the 'Boston Globe' that explained "Schiffman and several leading nutritionists have questioned the safety of children eating any low-calorie sweeteners as an alternative to sugar — even the newest ones derived from plants such as stevia and monk fruit extract — because it’s not clear how they’re metabolized by the body given how little they’ve been tested in people."

and "Other sucralose research, published last year in the journal Diabetes Care, found that sucralose caused a more rapid spike in blood sugar and a bigger surge in the hormone insulin — mimicking the early stages of diabetes — among 17 obese volunteers who consumed the sweetener before a sugary beverage compared with when they consumed the beverage alone."
    It's true--if you eat a regular bagel you're hungry again in a few hours (versus a sandwich made with whole grain).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Data on the impact of almost anything on children is generally hard to come by in the scientific community, because of the ethical issues involved in performing research on children. By the way, that's also why there's often no data on the effects of such-and-such on pregnant women. It doesn't necessarily mean something is harmful; it just means they can't draft kids and pregnant women into their pool of human research volunteers.

My primary rule of scepticism: If someone's trying to sell you something (a book, a nutritional supplement, a pyramid scheme, etc.) then it's probably hooey.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Chemicals are not necessarily bad. Everything in the world is made up of chemicals. Chemicals are natural. 'Natural' is not necessarily good or bad. The debate about artificial sweeteners for children is, from what I gather, partly based on the psychological damage of instilling "dieting" behaviour on kids who are still growing and have a shaky sense of body image and self confidence, and partly due to the fact that there's nutritional value in things like whole milk, sugar, butter, etc. that kids need and that healthy, active kids will burn off due to energy anyway.

But, back to the OP's topic, if you love bread, eat bread. Just eat less of it. And in my opinion whole grain bread keeps me feeling fuller, longer.

Agree...chemicals are not necessarily bad.

I just think there's too little information out there about what artificial sweeteners do to growing children. There was a recent article in the 'Boston Globe' that explained "Schiffman and several leading nutritionists have questioned the safety of children eating any low-calorie sweeteners as an alternative to sugar — even the newest ones derived from plants such as stevia and monk fruit extract — because it’s not clear how they’re metabolized by the body given how little they’ve been tested in people."

and "Other sucralose research, published last year in the journal Diabetes Care, found that sucralose caused a more rapid spike in blood sugar and a bigger surge in the hormone insulin — mimicking the early stages of diabetes — among 17 obese volunteers who consumed the sweetener before a sugary beverage compared with when they consumed the beverage alone."
    It's true--if you eat a regular bagel you're hungry again in a few hours (versus a sandwich made with whole grain).

Nice cherry picking

"A handful of recent sucralose studies have also raised warning flags: A 2008 rat study conducted by Schiffman and toxicologists at Duke University — funded by the Sugar Association — indicated that sucralose might interfere with certain medications. The study also found that rats fed moderate to high amounts of sucralose had lower levels of beneficial bacteria in their gut than those who weren’t fed any, which could make them more susceptible to gastrointestinal disorders.

Lee Grotz, director of medical affairs for McNeil Nutritionals, which manufactures Splenda, said the study used poor methodology and reached faulty conclusions that have yet to be replicated in subsequent studies. While the company hired researchers to review the Duke study — which the researchers ultimately refuted — McNeil Nutritionals has not published any new data that have come to different conclusions, and Grotz would not comment on whether any studies were underway."

LOL, rodent studies funded by the sugar association?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'd be less worried about the bread as I would about the copious amounts of mayo in that tuna salad....
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

BACK to the topic at hand (bread!) my advice is to read the labels. Even bread baked in a bakery can have preservatives, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners. I find that bread that has to be refrigerated (using the Bay's English muffin example again) is best. For me...I always have to read labels since I can't have artificial sweeteners and they pop up in bread products in many brands.

Bread that must be refrigerated or goes bad quickly (without preservatives) is not being handled properly. High moisture causes mold, storing them in containers that trap moisture, exposure to spores, and I've noticed sugary breads go bad quickly as well. Normally, you're not supposed to refrigerate bread as it causes it to go stale faster.

And Bay's has preservatives, too!

Bay's Original English Muffins:

"Ingredients: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Contains 2% or less of the following: Potato Flour, Dry Whole Milk, Butter, Sugar, Yeast, Salt, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Folic Acid, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Baking Powder, Yeast Nutrients (Calcium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride), Enzymes, Corn Starch, White Corn Meal, Farina, Sodium Propionate and Propionic Acid added to retain freshness, Sulfites"

http://bays.com/original/

The high moisture content (water is second ingredient), butter and sugar is probably why it needs refrigeration.

Most of the bakery bread I get has 3 to 5 ingredients. Like Flour, Yeast, Salt, some nuts. For health purposes, I'd say look for breads that have low amount of sugar altogether (no added sugar), not very many ingredients, and whole grains or whole grain flours, that come in whole loafs. However, shopping around is necessary to find a bread that is both healthy and delicious. I find a lot of "healthy" breads are unpleasant to eat. And if you don't want to go to that trouble, look for off-the-shelf sliced breads as similar to that as possible.

Just as a note: I don't think propionic acid is bad at all. Though sulfites can cause problems for some people in larger quantities as an often-used preservative.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

100% whole wheat? How did that turn out? I've tried as high as 60% but that's really pushing it if you want it to resemble...well bread really rather than a rock.
    [/quote]

I thought it would be too. lol. It is denser than the white bread I make, but not rock-like at all. Here is the recipe I use.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh, didn't you hear?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFkZKL9JoX9U2DTYcMtbgiKqs9n2BYLoklWh-e8VStta8qAGR2
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am finding oatmeal pita's and if not able to get them then wholemeal pita's far better than any normal bread, I find they fill me up much quicker for much less of them compared to same quantity of bread that just seems to make me more hungry constantly.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel. Expensive but worth it. It's taken me the course of 5 years to really be done with it. Still eat it, but usually only when I eat out for a cheat meal (burger, pizza, etc.)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like flat out flatbread wraps in the multigrain. 8 g of fiber with 100 calories. I use those instead of tortillas or sandwich bread. My other go-to is Light Multi-grain English Muffins. Also 8g fiber and 100 calories. I use those as hamburger buns. My son likes to put chicken salad on a toasted English Muffin.

Careful on giving children the whole wheat or light multi grain English muffins. They have artificial sweetener in them. For a better option use the English muffins from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Bay's brand (found at Target). They do have to be kept in the fridge due though (but that's a good thing)

Here's the list of what's in the light multi grain:

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, FIBER (CELLULOSE AND/OR SOY), POLYDEXTROSE, FARINA, CORNMEAL, TOASTED CORN GERM, NATURAL FLAVOR, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE), SALT, CRACKED WHEAT, RYE, GRAIN VINEGAR, WHEY, DATEM, LEAVENING (MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA), MALT EXTRACT, GROUND CORN, SOYBEAN OIL, DEXTROSE, CELLULOSE GUM, BROWN RICE, OATS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, XANTHAN GUM, ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOYBEANS, TRITICALE, BARLEY, FLAXSEED, MILLET, SUCRALOSE, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, SOY FLOUR, NONFAT MILK.
    Ya, I don't like that soy in there... :trollface:
  • Basilin
    edited October 2014
    Options

I thought it would be too. lol. It is denser than the white bread I make, but not rock-like at all. Here is the recipe I use.

My aunt used to make her own bread like this and it was traumatic. She always put in too much flour and didn't let it rise enough and it'd come out like a brick. Visiting her house I'd have to eat those sandwiches and toast and pretend it didn't feel like I was eating wads of leather! There is a lot of bad bread in the world, lol.

• pinksafyre
    pinksafyre Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OMG was JUST thinking about having a tuna sandwich on toasted bread tonight after work and the gym! lol haven't had in Soooo long....yah; onions too
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    cheap bread, supermarket generic white or brown is lower in calories than most bread on the market. Plus is stores well, tastes good, and stays soft.

I usually buy "sandwich white" or "sandwich wheat" for about 1.00 per 24 oz loaf.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have a small addiction to Wasa crispbread. My current package is the fiber kind but there are other good ones too. Some of them are too thick for my liking though.

Mmmm crispbread with tuna salad on top. So yummy!
  • Basilin
    Options
    Another idea: Have your tuna with healthy crackers instead of bread. :)
  • Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Sprouted 7-grain bread. It's yummy and has 5g protein, 3g fiber, 7g carbs and 60 calories per slice. I really like the texture; it makes great toast. There's also Light 12-grain bread by Village Hearth/Country Hearth which has 40 calories per slice and is good for sandwiches, but not very filling on its own
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    For me, nothing beats fresh baked bread from the bakery. The processed supermarket stuff may last longer, true, but it just doesn't taste like bread to me, and isn't worth 'wasting' calories on, because I simply don't like it enough.

I usually buy fresh-baked rye, whole wheat or onion bread from the local Jewish bakery. I also have a serious weakness for baguette, which I try to limit because it's way too easy to go over my day's calorie intake.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

100% whole wheat? How did that turn out? I've tried as high as 60% but that's really pushing it if you want it to resemble...well bread really rather than a rock.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »

My aunt used to make her own bread like this and it was traumatic. She always put in too much flour and didn't let it rise enough and it'd come out like a brick. Visiting her house I'd have to eat those sandwiches and toast and pretend it didn't feel like I was eating wads of leather! There is a lot of bad bread in the world, lol.

My sympathies, my mother was a horrible cook as was her mother so I know how it is to endure these things. I'm a much better cook than my mother and my daughter is a chef at a 5-star hotel. Glad being a horrible cook is not genetic!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad sandwiches are awesome. Add some veggies and you have a well rounded meal.