Fluid advice

Options
I have recently been trying to be better with my fluid intake. When I am at home I am amazing. I get my 8 glasses of fluid (water, iced tea, vitamin water) if not more a day. The part where it falls apart is at work. It is not for a lack of trying, it is more of a no access to a bathroom sort of issues. I work overnights in a vehicle and there is not always a bathroom readily available. When I drink the amount I am supposed to drink I have to pee like every 2 hours which is not always a possibility for me.

Does this ever settle down? If not, any recommendations on how to deal with this?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24464774
    Four 8-ounce-glasses of water is perfectly fine.
    I have a job with a similar situation in that I do not have restroom availability during certain times of the day.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with above. The 8 glasses/day thing appears to be another myth. I would say if you are going to the bathroom every 2 hours, you are drinking more water than you need. Why not save more of your water intake for when you are home. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I don't just drink water. I also have a large caffeine intake. I recently saw my dr who after urinalysis said I am dehydrated and need to drink more... That was at around 4-6 8oz cups of fluid. She said it was likely due to my caffeine habits so if I wanted to continue drinking so much coffee I needed to drink more water.

I try to save my fluid for when at home, but my job can sometimes be strenuous so I get thirsty. Trying to find a balance. Thank you for the tips. Maybe I will try to restrict so much fluid at work.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and stop at a gas station to pee.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Drink more water and stop at a gas station to pee.

Not always an option unfortunately.
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What times do you work? From when to when?
  • elphie754
    Options
    One shift is 9pm to 9 am(sunday into monday) The other two are 6pm to 6am. (Wednesday into Thursday and Saturday into Sunday)
  • LeonCX
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was just thinking about that lady astronaut a few years ago. She was stalking her ex, and while driving long distance, wore Depends adult diapers so she wouldn't have to stop for bathroom breaks. True story. Anyone remember that?
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you are somehow trapped in a car for ten hours, you could always buy a plastic urinal. They're like $5. There are also condom-type urine collectors with tubes to bags, but they fall off sometimes and I'm not a guy, so not sure how comfortable that would be (and not asking!)

If you know anyone who works in a hospital, they could get you a plastic urinal.
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Drink 1-2 liters before 3pm when you work at 6.. 6pm when you work at 9. Problem should be solved.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are dehydrated, then you should be drinking enough so you dont have to be.
    If your waterworks means your bladder cant hold the liquid (probably age) and you cant manage to time it expeditiously and you cant get to a toilet, then your only option is going to be.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Safe-Sound-Extra-Unisex-Urine-Bottle-1-Litre_1419294/
  • LeonCX
    Options
    If you are somehow trapped in a car for ten hours, you could always buy a plastic urinal. They're like $5. There are also condom-type urine collectors with tubes to bags
    ummm, OP is female. i don't think this would work. :o

• 999tigger
    Options
    The bottle I linked above is unisex.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    If you are somehow trapped in a car for ten hours, you could always buy a plastic urinal. They're like $5. There are also condom-type urine collectors with tubes to bags
    ummm, OP is female. i don't think this would work. :o

Oops. I don't know why I assumed it was a guy. Sorry, OP.

There are female urinals, but they'll be a pain in the butt to use. Maybe some Poise undergarments?

Good luck. :)
  • Hymay
    Hymay Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It sounds like a good possibility your electrolyte balance could be off. Perhaps look into some supplements you can take throughout the week, and try an electrolyte drink on your shifts.. perhaps coconut water. I had a day I was drinking constantly, thirsty constantly, a few drinks of coconut and the dry throat went away.

If you are moving a lot of water through yourself, minerals tend to get taken on the ride out.
    But, certainly, if you are thirsty, you need to drink. Thats usually the signal its too late actually, & you are already a bit dehydrated.
  • elphie754
    Options
    If you are somehow trapped in a car for ten hours, you could always buy a plastic urinal. They're like $5. There are also condom-type urine collectors with tubes to bags, but they fall off sometimes and I'm not a guy, so not sure how comfortable that would be (and not asking!)

If you know anyone who works in a hospital, they could get you a plastic urinal.

No in a car. And I have a partner so that really wouldn't work. It is more a time issue. I work in an ambulance. We don't dada you get "breaks" so if it is really busy it can be hard to get to pee lol.
    Drink 1-2 liters before 3pm when you work at 6.. 6pm when you work at 9. Problem should be solved.

I am going to try this.
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you are dehydrated, then you should be drinking enough so you dont have to be.
    If your waterworks means your bladder cant hold the liquid (probably age) and you cant manage to time it expeditiously and you cant get to a toilet, then your only option is going to be.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Safe-Sound-Extra-Unisex-Urine-Bottle-1-Litre_1419294/

I'm only 26.

To those who have in teased fluid intake, does the "always having to go" decrease as your body gets used to it?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Here you can read about how regular you might be.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/70782.php