Weight loss and light periods?

Options
FaylinaMeir
FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay ladies, we hate to talk about it but I need to know that I'm not alone here.
Now (due to my weight) I've never had a normal period, it's either too heavy like it was most of my life but now it seems to be basically non-existent. It dawned on me that it kinda coincides with my weight loss.
My "periods" happen about every month but it's nothing more than a panty liner for a couple days and then nothing. This time around I had mild cramps a couple days ago then just a liner.

I know hormones take awhile to adjust and stuff but I guess is having a period that light normal? Google doesn't seem sure on yes or no so I guess I'm asking opinions here.

And yes guys, we have periods get over it. :laugh:

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't hate to talk about it. I got over that around the time I was 18 years old.

You should ask the doctor about your light periods.

I wish that mine would lighten up, lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Mine did lighten up considerably. It used to be quite heavy now it's just normal, so I took it as a positive and didn't bother to check. I do notice, however, that when I happen to hover around 1200 calories for extended periods it tends to get pretty light. There was a time when it was like you described, I was eating fewer calories. After a while it did adjust back to normal, but so did my calories.. so I'm not sure if it was a temporary phase that correlated with eating less or if it's a cause and effect thing. I don't believe it's anything to worry about but if you're worried bring it up with your doctor.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    I'm not worried at all just find it interesting, and no plans on wasting my money on a doctors visit.

@Kalikel if I could help I would :laugh:

We'll see. One huge goal for me to lose weight is I hope to gain fertility and have a baby :) I actually see this as a step in the right direction.

• bostonboxermom
    bostonboxermom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I lost weight that my horrible monthly cramps stopped, and it's not 'heavy' like it was. I'd guess it's 'normal' now, lol, def not as light as you described. I think exercise has a lot to do with it too.
  • ruthieoftx
    Options
    Are you definitely, totally sure you aren't pregnant? Because that sounds a lot like my first pregnancy!
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    ruthieoftx wrote: »
    Are you definitely, totally sure you aren't pregnant? Because that sounds a lot like my first pregnancy!

sadly yep I'm sure I'm not pregnant unless by some freak chance of nature I don't show up on a test :p
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I feel like my bleeding got much heavier after I lost weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Why on Earth were these posts flagged?
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've seen enough episodes of "I didn't know I was pregnant" to know that pregnancy tests aren't always accurate. Some of the change in your period may be due to weight loss, or reduced calories, as others have noted. Another reason may be age. Your period evolves over the years, getting lighter or shorter, sometimes longer.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Why on Earth were these posts flagged?

people hate the thought of periods, even though without them people wouldn't have been born but whatever :laugh:

Sebismom wrote: »
    I've seen enough episodes of "I didn't know I was pregnant" to know that pregnancy tests aren't always accurate. Some of the change in your period may be due to weight loss, or reduced calories, as others have noted. Another reason may be age. Your period evolves over the years, getting lighter or shorter, sometimes longer.

LOL I've seen that show a couple times. Some of those people are so in denial it's crazy. I took another test just because why not and it was negative. I'm putting it up to weight loss and maybe age? I am turning 27 in 6 days so who knows.

Either way, still not complaining ;)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well, my periods have always been as such:
    tumblr_myn0bm44wR1rxam8fo4_250.gif

lol. When I first lost weight they lightened up enough that I didn't have to use a super quadruple space-age tampon every HOUR, but they weren't non-existent. They are easier to handle for the most part now as well. I find that a combo of being lighter but also being more active helps. I've not been as active and I do think that contributes to them not being as light as they were when I first lost weight, althougH I'm also 20lbs heavier!
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

lol. When I first lost weight they lightened up enough that I didn't have to use a super quadruple space-age tampon every HOUR, but they weren't non-existent. They are easier to handle for the most part now as well. I find that a combo of being lighter but also being more active helps. I've not been as active and I do think that contributes to them not being as light as they were when I first lost weight, althougH I'm also 20lbs heavier!

OMG I'm like dying over here :laugh: :laugh: You pretty much summed up my periods for the most part until about the beginning of this year. Part of me is angry I have a stash of these quadruple space-age tampons and pads in my bathroom that are just taking up space. I've considered donating them but as soon as I did that my body would make me need them again. My woman bits are evil I tell you!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

OMG I'm like dying over here :laugh: :laugh: You pretty much summed up my periods for the most part until about the beginning of this year. Part of me is angry I have a stash of these quadruple space-age tampons and pads in my bathroom that are just taking up space. I've considered donating them but as soon as I did that my body would make me need them again. My woman bits are evil I tell you!

I know what you mean! I think after I gained weight, all I had were super light ones and it made life so unfun for a while.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mine vary. I've done the weight loss thing a few times now, and they always start off pretty light, but then they go right back to this:

uUHYIKZ.png
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    sorcha1977 wrote: »
    Mine vary. I've done the weight loss thing a few times now, and they always start off pretty light, but then they go right back to this:

uUHYIKZ.png

I got talked into the birth control shot last year, and had a strong reaction to it and one month later almost bled to death. That image is all too familiar to me. I spent Christmas in excruciating pain too weak to even get out of bed. All I got could was cry holding my husband. One of the few times in life I really thought I was going to die.

If I could regain fertility and keep the light periods, oh boy that would be amazing!
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    sorcha1977 wrote: »

uUHYIKZ.png

OMG!! ROFL!!! Mine was like this for about a year after I had my kid. Now its lightened considerably. Its always pain-free and light when I am exercising regularly! And less bloating too
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    after having 4 kids mine were awful, really bad cramping and very heavey. Also my cycles were much longer at 35-45 days long in stead of 30-32 days.

today is my 76th day of calorie counting, as of this morning Im down 9.8kg and my last 2 cycles, although still been painful have been 28 days and 27days long and much lighter and only last 5-6 days instead 7-8.

Im confused, the comment re "yes we have periods get over" since being on here I have seen many comments from men trying to help women who are upset they have gained or not lost and they are so sweet explaining it could be TOM, never seen a bloke have an issue with us having periods.
    And whoever flagged the post/comments needs to grow the F up and find something else to do with their time.
  • millypoo128
    Options
    Yes it is possible. I've actually lost my period before for three months when I was strict and working out a lot. Most recently I've gotten into a routine and am working out a lot and again, I've missed it two months in a grow (granted I'm on BC that causes light periods anyways). And no- I'm not pregnant either.
  • ElizabethTucker11
    Options

people hate the thought of periods, even though without them people wouldn't have been born but whatever :laugh:
    I don't hate periods......It's natural

• FaylinaMeir
    Options
    mbaby86 wrote: »
    Im confused, the comment re "yes we have periods get over" since being on here I have seen many comments from men trying to help women who are upset they have gained or not lost and they are so sweet explaining it could be TOM, never seen a bloke have an issue with us having periods.
    And whoever flagged the post/comments needs to grow the F up and find something else to do with their time.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened this time but I've seen a few posts on here about periods and a bunch of guys were responding about how "gross" it was and how we shouldn't post about things like that on mfp. I agree sometimes people need to grow up. lol