My current strategy. Do not weigh for a while. Does anyone else do this?

Options
Today is day 20 of MFP. I have not weighed in 10 days and don't plan to for a while. I am seeing other things that are keeping me motivated. Certain clothes and belts are looser. My resting heart rate is the lowest that I have seen in years if not ever. Had a great 10 mile run with my daughter this past weekend. I don't want to take a chance on a scale fluctuation to affect my motivation. Curious if others have done this. Thanks.

Replies

• skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do this. I figure 2-3 weeks between weigh in help me focus on day to day behaviours and trends rather than let the scale mess with my head. I can tell how well I'm doing by number of days eating at deficits, my tracking streak, etc. also, it's just satisfying to get on the scale and see a few pounds gone at a time rather than .5 down one day, one pound up the next, 1.5, the next, 3 pounds up (with the accompanying, "omg! Please be water weight" thought. Each to their own. Way to go on your run!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I personally weigh once a week but I have a couple MFP friends who weigh less often since they find themselves obsessing about the scale. Whatever floats your boat :smile:
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every morning. I still struggle with the fluctuations but I want the data points. I refer to my weigh-in history a lot, and where there are gaps in my recorded weigh-ins there are gaps in my knowledge about my weight history.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Its been almost a month for me not weighing myself.im gonna try to weigh myself once a month
  • ShockDoc
    ShockDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not do more than weekly for the same reason!
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and fluctuations haven't affected me. I think it's because I weighed weekly for the first couple of months, so I knew what I was doing would work. I just had to keep doing.

Now it's just interesting to see my weight jump about, and input it into weightgrapher.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I try, but dont last more than a couple of days lol

I did weigh in and log my weight today but now plan on not weighing in until 3st October. (the originally plan was to weight at the start of October and then the end but i failed and have been on the scales every other day )

Im then planning on not weighing in for 3 weeks.

I have the added problem that even after putting the scales away so I dont weigh my self that my husband gets them back out and weighs him self daily, which drives me crazy because I then get on the scales too.

wish Id never brought the bloody things lol
  • SofiV79
    SofiV79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Me! I have decided to wait a month between weigh-ins because I get obsessed with the scales... MFP keeps me motivated enough :-) Next weigh-in is Nov 16th, hopefully I will see some good results.
  • phil230532
    phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation, both ways.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I wish I could do that, but I would get panicked after a day or two, lol. I usually weigh in at least once every 2 days.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and keep a running average of the weights. It actually helps me to see the day to day fluctuations because I know it's physically impossible to gain 3lbs of fat in one day. So when that happens, I know it's water. If I only weighed once a month I'd have no idea how much water weight was in any given measurement and I think it would be much more unsettling. It's also really satisfying to look back at the trend line through all those measurements! As an added bonus, I can tell by looking at the graph when it was my TOM...
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I sometimes think about going longer between weigh-in, but for me it's almost like an affirmation of renewed commitment every morning when I step on the scale, no matter which way the scale points that day.
  • SallyJoT
    SallyJoT Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to weigh often. At the point I am at, it does little but change my mood and motivation. I do a fair amount of strength/weight lifting and it is not uncommon for the scale to go up. I find measurements and just paying attention to how I feel and how my clothes fit is a better indicator of success. I can easily weigh six pounds more between a morning weigh in and and afternoon weigh in. Also, my weight goes up if I have not had enough water or ate salty foods the night before. I say enjoy and focus on your non scale victories!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It's how I keep myself in check and motivated to eat healthy during the day. Also, if I've eaten a lot and I weigh the same, it serves as a reminder that I don't have to be crazy and restrictive all the time. Hope that makes sense.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was doing weekly weigh ins and getting discouraged by slow moving numbers. I last weighed in on the 10th and decided to wait until the 31st for another official weigh in. The overall trend is important to me, and I was losing sight of it.

I do periodic evening checks to make sure I haven't fallen off track. My normal weigh ins are in the morning so doing a before bed check means a higher number, but I know the range I should be in. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll fall off the wagon entirely.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have been here forever practically and I found the scale can be a demotivator for me. I only weight like once every two weeks. It works for me.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do this too! :-)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I only get weighed when I go to the doctor (which is about once every other month or two), I was getting obsessed with the scale numbers and would freak out if I gained and didn't lose and then I'd end up on a crazy weight loss scheme that was not healthy and go through a vicious cycle because I wasn't losing on my own (granted, at the time I didn't know that I have hypothyroid/insulin resistance/PCOS issues, I do now and am receiving care and now understand that weightloss for me is a very slow process , but I'm doing all the right things and as long as I keep doing them I will eventually lose, maybe someday can go back to a more consistent weighing, but it's just not healthy for me right now)
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    I do the mirror check. I stand half-naked in front of the mirror and I check out my legs and stomach. I pinch the fat in my gut to see how much I have lost and I see how toned my legs are when I flex them. I weigh a size 32 signature and relax fit so they are getting baggy, but I can't really use my clothes to dictate how much I am losing.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I weigh semi-monthly. Enough time that the scale generally drops, but not too much time to get into the "eat it now, I have awhile before I weigh-in again" habit that is so easy to get in to. For me, it's more motivating to see multiple pounds drop than just one or less.