Coconut oil for weight loss

Options
Has anyone tried taking substantial amount (maybe 5TBs/day or more) and still lost weight?

Replies

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't use a substantial amount but I have replaced butter with coconut oil when cooking.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That's over 500 calories a day just from coconut oil alone. As long as you fit it into your calories. And I'd be close to a bathroom.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Jessieqaz wrote: »
    Has anyone tried taking substantial amount (maybe 5TBs/day or more) and still lost weight?

5 tablespoons of oil...that's 600 kcals. What else are you going to eat to stay in a calorie deficit and get the nutrition you need.
    It won't help you lose weight beyond keeping you fuller because it's a fat.
  • brntwaffles27
    Options
    I've been taking 1 TBs of coconut oil a day if I can fit it into my calorie deficit. It's a great way to meet your goal if your low on calories for the day without giving into something more sugary haha.

I've lost 5 pounds in half a month so that's great, but I take it because it's made my skin softer and my hair shinier. It's suppose to contain special healthy fats that help your health, and also it curbs some of my cravings.

Coconut oil is also great for making your teeth whiter, with oil pulling, and making your skin softer when directly applied as a facial mask.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No. If you're looking to add 500-600 calories per day to your diet, go for it. If you want to eat 500-600 calories less and eat oil instead, sure. But it has no magical weight loss properties.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Did you misspell snake?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Did you misspell snake?

:smiley:
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is nothing magical. If you want to eat it, eat it. If you don't, don't. And this is coming from someone on a ketogenic diet. Do what works best for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is delicious...it may be have some other nutritional advantages over other fats (though much of what is touted is anecdotal at best)...but it isn't magic. 5 Tbsp of coconut oil equates to roughly 600 calories...that's still 600 calories...calories are just a unit of energy...you consume less energy than your body requires and your body has to dip into energy reserves (i.e. fat stores) to supplement. No food item will magically make you lose weight...consuming less energy than is required will result in weight loss. Food choices should be made as per nutritional considerations, not weight control goals.