Leaf Blowing

Options
Has anyone created an exercise for Blowing Leaves? If so, what did you figure calories burned per hour? This one very strenuous exercise I could not find in the Database.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i hate leaf blowers, they are such a noise nuisance. get a rake!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yardwork is an entry I think.... also giggity.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever used a leaf blower. It's strenuous?
  • imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i hate leaf blowers, they are such a noise nuisance. get a rake!

I agree. Raking would burn a lot more calories than fossil fuels and electricity anyway.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Prior to getting my Fitbit I used the entry for yard work or gardening (can't remember now) but I no longer enter exercise since Fitbit automatically adjusts. But in order to give you an idea of the potential burn, on Sunday I used a leaf blower for about 45 minutes and the 15minute increments of activity that Fitbit showed for that time period were 94, 94, 89 so a total of about 280 calories for 45 minutes. I'm 5'2, 64 years old, 178 pounds. That includes my regular stayin' alive calories of course so guessing leaf blowing adds maybe 250 cals an hour if you are really hitting it.

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've never used one. Is it heavy? I'm sure there's calories expended swinging it around.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my 'exercise' from yard/garden work. Someone on MFP shared this site with me when I asked about calories burned.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I believe if you are individually blowing the leaves this would lead to a less then optimal aerobic workout. If you use a machine I'd say no calorie burn. Try it out with getting on all fours and giving your best effort; wear a HRM if you can for measuring calories.
  • Skyrush
    Skyrush Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, DW, I like my leaf blower too! Calorie Lab includes it under "Lawn and Garden - trimming shrubs and trees, using leaf blower". You enter your weight, then choose the activity I just wrote. For those of you who have never used a leaf blower, they are rather heavy. I'm not talking about those backpack ones - I'm talking about a handheld. Rakes are great too, if you have the time. With my job,time is limited - ergo, machines!