Purpose

Options
I know its something to hear people say "food isn't everything." But in the eyes of someone who is battling with weight loss it is. Food has been everything for me throughout life. I look forward to putting that in my mouth and feeling it. I again admit to the addiction of eating. So my question is this. What is there for me to look forward to if its not food? I know this is something that should be answered simply. Over all it's an honest question I would like to just discuss with everyone because I want to understand. I am going at this as a learning experience for change. I just want to find my own reason to embrace change it's sad but food fixes it.

(I am not down just curious.)

Edit: for those who know what I am sorta talking about how did you get through it? tips?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am fairly sure I am not addicted to food, so I can't offer much from a similar point of view.

I can, however, offer this. You can still eat all day long. You can still have something your mouth, something to savor, to taste. I eat constantly all day. I have lost a good bit of weight! I have toned up and really become a better shape.

Embrace nutrients inside the food. Find the foods with the nutrients you need at that time. It takes some trying, but you will find out how you feel when you are low on something. When you crave a biscuit, you are needing some carbs, so find a food that has some carbs and also other fabulous nutrients for you!

I eat smaller portions that I thought could ever fill me up (and they do fill me!) and I eat much healthier than I imagined I could. I love fresh spinach and whole wheat bagels, eggs and cheese. I am steering away from donuts and sweets all day long (that was my biggest trouble).

I just want to be sure that you know you can still LOVE your food. I have grown very close to my food, I think about it all day and I really enjoy what I eat when I do eat.
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Craving = body needs some type of nutrient... I can see that....
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

There's lots of things in life to look forward to. Getting into smaller size clothes for a start off. Not hating what you see in the mirror when you look in it. And if you approach this properly and make the right food choices you can still enjoy food (low fat, non processed, fresh meat, fish, veg, fruit, small amounts of carbs, and small treats every now and again). So it's a Win/Win situation!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Wendy
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i was addicted to food, too, but after a couple weeks of eating healthy, i dont crave food like i did before. it makes me feel good and happy to eat healthily. instead of looking forward to lunch just for the food, i look forward to it b/c i get to spend time with my friends. at first, its kind of hard and seems hopeless, but if you're anything like me, in a couple weeks you won't know why you needed food so bad!
  • captmarko
    captmarko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself one question. If money was not a problem and I could do anything in the world I wanted to do what would that one thing be? Travel, photography, helping out the less fortunate? What ever it is I am guessing it is not sitting at a table all day enjoying food. What ever your answer was, is your passion. Follow your passion.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My mantra is "We eat to live, not live to eat!"

Food should never stand between you are and who you want to be. Eating can be fun and it can be pleasurable. But it's not the only thing in life that is. If you want to eat but know you're not hungry, do something else to take your mind off it. I like to put my iPod in and listen to really loud music, or dance, or stretch. Sometimes just taking a brisk walk around the building or talking to a friend makes me feel better.

Don't overfuel your body. If you love it, you'll treat it well. We live in an age where good food is easy to come by. We don't need to eat it all at once -- that food will still be there tomorrow! Eating it now puts unnecessary pressure on your body to absorb it and store it somewhere. Love your body and love yourself! :)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I understand this feeling.
    I love food, I eat food when I am happy, sad, bored, for no reason at all.
    I love the texture, the flavours, the social experience.
    I LOVE FOOD
    So now that I am changing the habits, I am finding NEW foods to love. Foods that are healthier to consume and that make me feel better so the love of eating lasts longer than just the few moments in my mouth.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Stress makes me want to eat and I never realized how much until the past couple of weeks, I’m new to MFP. I was so stressed this weekend with lack of sleep, finals for school and two kids under the age of 3, all I wanted to was eat, but I didn’t. Now that I’m not as stressed I am so proud of myself for making it through it. This is what keeps me going and hopefully it will throughout my weight loss journey.

Another constant reminder is sore muscles. My muscles are so sore from working out and it feels awesome. I’m in pain, but for the first time in years, I am taking control of my life. Plus, I lost 4lbs last week and this week I’m on my way to losing at least another 3 lbs. That is great motivation.

Good luck with your journey and stay positive! You can do it!

From a reformed food addict. :wink:
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I understand this feeling.
    I love food, I eat food when I am happy, sad, bored, for no reason at all.
    I love the texture, the flavours, the social experience.
    I LOVE FOOD
    So now that I am changing the habits, I am finding NEW foods to love. Foods that are healthier to consume and that make me feel better so the love of eating lasts longer than just the few moments in my mouth.

my thoughts exactly....and...nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!

You can do this...we're here to help!
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I appreciate hearing this... I really appreciate you guys reading this.