Strength training- Does it REALLY make you gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• shani19
    shani19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing steady weight training for the past year and havent lost a single pound. On the contrary the scale keeps going up. What gives? I count my cals and excercise e/day/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vallemic wrote: »
    I have lost most of my weight up to this point through diet and light cardio exercises. I now joined a gym and have started doing more vigorous cardio exercises and strength training (weight machines) to help tone and lose those last 10 pounds.

I have been to WW and other weight loss clinics in the past and when someone would complain about not losing weight, others would say "Oh, it's because you're gaining muscle"! This comment has always rubbed me the wrong way because I just didn't believe it! They do lots of strength training on Biggest Loser and they drop crazy numbers! Any thoughts?

As of my most recent weigh in yesterday. Fasted weigh in, I'm 6 pounds heavier than when I got my DXA scan in july. Interesting to note though, pants are looser, I need to buy a new belt, or stick a new smaller hole in my current one, and the sport coat I bought at the beginning of October is looser in the stomach and chest.

I'm up 6# though. Granted, my arms and shoulders have significantly more bulk and definition now, traps are growing, and my quads are getting pretty decent.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    SADLY, You will see the scale holding steady when you lift. Just have to make sure your doing lite weights and more reps to tone vs. going heavy on the weights and building a bunch of muscle like a body builder.
    I had to stop weighing because I'm doing weights too and getting irritated not seeing the scale drop as fast as I'd like. I focus on BMI and inches lost and how I feel and look in my clothes. Your food is key too asyou know. You look awesome ! keep it up

Sorry have to disagree with this - I've lost 20lbs while eating at a defecit and working my way through New Rules of Lifting. I'm a lot stronger than I was in January too.
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SADLY, You will see the scale holding steady when you lift. Just have to make sure your doing lite weights and more reps to tone vs. going heavy on the weights and building a bunch of muscle like a body builder.
    Light weights and more reps to "tone" is a myth. While going heavy (overload) can build muscle, you need a surplus to do it. It's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit.
    [/b]

Also...Byrdsong, you're a bit backwards with your set x rep scheme. Lifting heavy with few reps is more of a strength plan rather than a hypertrophy plan. If you lift lighter with more reps, you're looking for size - which is what bodybuilders are typically more concerned with. Just FYI!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    shani19 wrote: »
    Ive been doing steady weight training for the past year and havent lost a single pound. On the contrary the scale keeps going up. What gives? I count my cals and excercise e/day/

Are you sure you are counting accurately? Weighing everything? Counting every drink, snack, bite, etc? Where did your calorie goal come from?
  • shani19
    shani19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes-my calorie goal came from my trainer.