Sodium loss during running-good advice for electrolyte replacement?

Options
So I'm trying a different selection of things-gatorade, coconut water, salt water.

Today I just did crystal light in my water bottle while I ran. When I got home, I literally had like...salt...on my face. It was crusty like I splashed my face with saltwater and let it dry...

I can imagine I'm losing a fair amount of salt while I run...anything you found you enjoyed more or worked well for you? Not a huge fan of the coconut water so far...I'm trying...but...I'm not a fan of the flavor, which is weird because I like coconut.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gatorade is full of sugar so is a poor choice for diabetics or for weight loss. Besides, you typically don't need that high a calorie replacement. Gastrolyte is a nice adult replacement and comes in a powder so keeps well. Tastes gross though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    *electrolyte replacement.
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Lemon water works great, and eat bananas (ripe bananas).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I get salt on my face too. I hate it when it runs into my eyes while running :weary:
    What about gels or gummies while you run? Good for electrolytes as well as fuel. I like Gu Chomps personally. The gels work well but they're hard to choke down.

You will still get the salt on your face even with a replacement.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    grapes- natural electrolyte holder.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sweat out lots of salt. Don't worry about sodium count in my meals. Balances out for me.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I get salt on my face too. I hate it when it runs into my eyes while running :weary:
    What about gels or gummies while you run? Good for electrolytes as well as fuel. I like Gu Chomps personally. The gels work well but they're hard to choke down.

You will still get the salt on your face even with a replacement.

That sounds like a good idea-I have seen recipes for homemade Gu too. I have used fruit leather and that works pretty well. I am looking for fluid options because I'm good on food/fuel but I struggle to drink adequately while I run...Got a fuel belt that has two bottles on it...so far I've been using one.

With Gatorade, I use the diet stuff, not the regular so that I can avoid the excess sugar...though while I run the sugar is actually not a bad idea.

• MSeel1984
    Options
    corduanji wrote: »
    Sweat out lots of salt. Don't worry about sodium count in my meals. Balances out for me.

I've been going with this theory too. I have some nights I go way over on sodium, but I have honestly never had a day when I can FEEL salt crystals on my face. LoL-fortunately it wasn't running into my eyes today...sometimes it does but I lucked out today.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you're worried about replacing sodium. Have your electrolytes been tested and you've been low? Usually the kidneys do a pretty good job regulating sodium.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Also I presume you are not posting re the sodium on your skin- some posters seem to think that based on their replies. I presume you want to make sure you have enough electrolytes so that you don't- literally- die.

Well yes-if I could carry bananas with me I would.
    I am worried about overall electrolyte imbalance from distance running. I'm building up mileage nicely and looking at doing a half marathon as soon as one is available in my area.
    The salt on my skin just made me even more aware of the fact that I do lose a lot of salt through running.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Gatorade is full of sugar so is a poor choice...for weight loss.

Totally disagree with this.

I carry Powerade Zero with me on runs where I'm concerned about electrolytes. I don't need the calories for the miles I do, but the salt and other electrolytes help. I'll also typically eat a banana when I get back.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    For salty sweaters, I heard pickle juice is a nice option, has a number of electrolytes and packed with sodium. It also helps to avoid cramps apparently. I started cramping after a half-marathon training run a week ago and drank some pickle juice. The cramp went away.

I'm no authority on this matter though. This is what I read, I tried it, it worked for me.
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Also I presume you are not posting re the sodium on your skin- some posters seem to think that based on their replies. I presume you want to make sure you have enough electrolytes so that you don't- literally- die.

I am worried about overall electrolyte imbalance from distance running. I'm building up mileage nicely and looking at doing a half marathon as soon as one is available in my area.
    The salt on my skin just made me even more aware of the fact that I do lose a lot of salt through running.

haha cool, someone's reply made it sound like you were looking to avoid the sweat- which is like a trophy everytime you run!

These are amazing- tasty, 10 calories, lot of what you need. And fun to watch them fizz rei.com/product/815789/gu-brew-electrolyte-tablets-12-servings
    That was probably me....my response was a bit unclear. :blush:

Options
    GU Brew or Nuun - lots of potassium (an American diet will get you plenty of sodium) - few calories, not heavy and syrupy like Gatorade.
    +1 for Nuun

• MSeel1984
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    For salty sweaters, I heard pickle juice is a nice option, has a number of electrolytes and packed with sodium. It also helps to avoid cramps apparently. I started cramping after a half-marathon training run a week ago and drank some pickle juice. The cramp went away.

I'm no authority on this matter though. This is what I read, I tried it, it worked for me.

OHHHH I should get a jar of dill pickles! I love them so much!
    Good idea...

Options

Good idea...
    Oh gawd...while running? :grimacing: LOL

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

You're probably fine from diet alone as long as you're not restricting sodium. The biggest issue is if you're drinking tons during your run. If so then take a gel or some sort of Gatorade along to keep from getting too much water intake.

I just have 12 oz of water and a gel or so for 13 - 15 miles. I might add in a second gel if I'm doing 15 - 20 and possibly another 6 oz. of water. During the summer when it's hot out and I sweat a lot more I do bring along a Gatorade or some type of sports drink to sip on. Other than that sweating during a run probably won't be an issue. I can easily lose 5 - 7 pounds during a run and I don't have electrolyte issues.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Gatorade is full of sugar so is a poor choice...for weight loss.

Totally disagree with this.

I carry Powerade Zero with me on runs where I'm concerned about electrolytes. I don't need the calories for the miles I do, but the salt and other electrolytes help. I'll also typically eat a banana when I get back.

Powerade zero has no high fructose corn syrup ("sugar") and "zero" calories. Regular Gatorade has a lot of both.

Well that's great, but that doesn't mean it's bad for weight loss. Just means you need to account for those calories.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

Good idea...
    Oh gawd...while running? :grimacing: LOL

HAHA! NO nononono. After!