Sodium loss during running-good advice for electrolyte replacement?

Options
2»

Replies

• 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    For salty sweaters, I heard pickle juice is a nice option, has a number of electrolytes and packed with sodium. It also helps to avoid cramps apparently. I started cramping after a half-marathon training run a week ago and drank some pickle juice. The cramp went away.

I'm no authority on this matter though. This is what I read, I tried it, it worked for me.

OHHHH I should get a jar of dill pickles! I love them so much!
    Good idea...

I also heard the purified urine of a halfling goat contains a day's worth of sodium. And it's supposed to taste better than pickle juice. :neutral_face:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    digginDeep wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Gatorade is full of sugar so is a poor choice...for weight loss.

Totally disagree with this.

I carry Powerade Zero with me on runs where I'm concerned about electrolytes. I don't need the calories for the miles I do, but the salt and other electrolytes help. I'll also typically eat a banana when I get back.

Powerade zero has no high fructose corn syrup ("sugar") and "zero" calories. Regular Gatorade has a lot of both.

Well that's great, but that doesn't mean it's bad for weight loss. Just means you need to account for those calories.

I'm not really trying to lose weight. If it happens, that's a pleasant side effect..but...I'm pretty healthy as far as weight goes. I'm worried more about distance/being able to run further. Not to mention I have Type I diabetes so as I run, I fuel with some carbs to keep my sugar from dipping too low.
    I do not fear calories. Calories=fuel.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Gatorade is full of sugar so is a poor choice...for weight loss.

Totally disagree with this.

I carry Powerade Zero with me on runs where I'm concerned about electrolytes. I don't need the calories for the miles I do, but the salt and other electrolytes help. I'll also typically eat a banana when I get back.

Powerade zero has no high fructose corn syrup ("sugar") and "zero" calories. Regular Gatorade has a lot of both.

Well that's great, but that doesn't mean it's bad for weight loss. Just means you need to account for those calories.

I'm not really trying to lose weight. If it happens, that's a pleasant side effect..but...I'm pretty healthy as far as weight goes. I'm worried more about distance/being able to run further. Not to mention I have Type I diabetes so as I run, I fuel with some carbs to keep my sugar from dipping too low.
    I do not fear calories. Calories=fuel.

I will admit to knowing next to nothing about diabetes, but if you are able there's nothing wrong with Gatorade or Powerade. They are designed for athletes who need to replace electrolytes and need some carbs for fuel. I *personally* run without carbs, and prefer to fuel after my run. If you use carbs on your run, that would be a source for you.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Pedialyte. I mix it with a 1 to 3 ratio with water for my long runs. It is a bit of an acquired taste depending on the flavor you get but when you are out for a few hours, what tasted meh' before at home actually taste pretty good then. It does have some sugar in there as well so not only are you getting your salt supplement, you are also keeping your blood sugar level from taking a hard nosedive.
  • viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I mix pedialyte with water in my bottle on a long run about half and half.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    PICKLES?!?!?! WHILE RUNNING??!?!?!

family-guy-projectile-vomit-o.gif

Pickle juice. It actually does come in handy on long runs if your muscles lock up. Why?How it works? Science may never know...but it does.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    Pedialyte. I mix it with a 1 to 3 ratio with water for my long runs. It is a bit of an acquired taste depending on the flavor you get but when you are out for a few hours, what tasted meh' before at home actually taste pretty good then. It does have some sugar in there as well so not only are you getting your salt supplement, you are also keeping your blood sugar level from taking a hard nosedive.
    I tried Pedialyte when my son was sick. I was curious why he wouldn't touch it. Ick. But yes, it seems a good long run dulls the tastebuds so this would be a good option.

• MSeel1984
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    PICKLES?!?!?! WHILE RUNNING??!?!?!

family-guy-projectile-vomit-o.gif

Pickle juice. It actually does come in handy on long runs if your muscles lock up. Why?How it works? Science may never know...but it does.

I do have some problems with muscles locking a bit when my blood sugar is a little too high...though I have to start out with higher numbers to keep from bottoming out :/

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i just drink a vitamin water zero. it has done wonders. i always thought water was enough and would always still get headaches when i sweat. i read up on electrolytes and found that was my issue!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Tailwind Endurance Fuel....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    GU Brew or Nuun - lots of potassium (an American diet will get you plenty of sodium) - few calories, not heavy and syrupy like Gatorade.

I'll double down on this rec. the Nuun is excellent. I'm pretty sensitive to electro imbalance, so I'm pretty good about drinking a tab of nuun per workout, and it keeps things working well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Salt drying is not an indication that you are "losing more salt". It's more a matter of wind and humidity. The nature of your sweat is no different.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Salt drying is not an indication that you are "losing more salt". It's more a matter of wind and humidity. The nature of your sweat is no different.

All I meant is that I never thought seriously about the fact that you do lose salt through sweat until I realized I literally had salt on my face. It made me more aware of the fact that I should be thinking more about 1.) hydration and 2.) electrolyte replacement.

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying a different selection of things-gatorade, coconut water, salt water.

Today I just did crystal light in my water bottle while I ran. When I got home, I literally had like...salt...on my face. It was crusty like I splashed my face with saltwater and let it dry...

I can imagine I'm losing a fair amount of salt while I run...anything you found you enjoyed more or worked well for you? Not a huge fan of the coconut water so far...I'm trying...but...I'm not a fan of the flavor, which is weird because I like coconut.

I use these: http://www.saltstick.com/products/sscaps/cfeatures.htm
    I am not a fan of any of those sugary sports drinks and I can take these with water since that's all I drink.
  • SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'll 3rd the Nuun tablets.

I cannot tolerate Gu or Gatorade or pretty much any other gels/sport drinks, they give me gastric issues. So I fuel with natural items like dried pineapple, dates and honey and need to supplement with electrolytes. For longish runs (to 12 miles) I will just use the Nuun tablet in my water bottle. For longer runs and races I take a bottle of coconut water and add a Nuun tablet to it as well.

I trained for a full marathon this summer in south FL so needless to say I carried a lot of water on 20 miles runs. I would go through a 60 oz hydration vest + 20 oz bottle and sometimes stop along the run to fill one or the other. The Nuun/coconut water+Nuun for some of the fluids worked well.

Fortunately race day temps were in the 30s-50s so sweating was less of a problem.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    SoFLpeg wrote: »
    I'll 3rd the Nuun tablets.

I cannot tolerate Gu or Gatorade or pretty much any other gels/sport drinks, they give me gastric issues. So I fuel with natural items like dried pineapple, dates and honey and need to supplement with electrolytes. For longish runs (to 12 miles) I will just use the Nuun tablet in my water bottle. For longer runs and races I take a bottle of coconut water and add a Nuun tablet to it as well.

I trained for a full marathon this summer in south FL so needless to say I carried a lot of water on 20 miles runs. I would go through a 60 oz hydration vest + 20 oz bottle and sometimes stop along the run to fill one or the other. The Nuun/coconut water+Nuun for some of the fluids worked well.

Fortunately race day temps were in the 30s-50s so sweating was less of a problem.

Man, having just finally run my first 10 miles, 20 seems so daunting...
    Then again, running 10 miles when I could only run 1 was scary too.