IIFYM

Options
So I have a complicated question. I've heard about If It Fits Your Macros, which if I understand it is you can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you stay in the limits of your macros and calories. So far I've really been limiting what I can eat only sticking to salads, protein shakes, whole grains, fruit, veggies, and some meat (chicken and steak, mostly). I'm 5'1'' and I weigh 92 pounds.
I guess what my question is is IIFYM an okay thing? I'm not trying to lose weight I'm trying to lose the last bit of fat on my stomach (aka my pooch) and trying to gain some muscle. I'm only asking because since I've really been limiting my diet I crave foods like no other and I get really upset when I can't enjoy foods with my friends and family, especially when we go out to dinner or something.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can look good on the outside with IIFYM, but still be unhealthy on the inside. It's like putting new siding on a house that needs remodeling.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This is a really good guide to filling out your diary, and it fits IIFYM. myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I follow this approach, I'm down over 20lbs. Ime restricing as you are is a recipe for disaster. I would definitely say give it a try, calculate your net or TDEE needs (latter if you want to include exercise into your equation, former if you want to eat back exercise cals) and eat the number if gives you if your goal is maintenance. Although if you want to put on muscle, you'll at some point need to eat at a mild surplus - 10% is more than enough of an increase.

Also I'm pretty sure you are underweight, based on the weight and picture. I do recommend that you up your calories and eat at a surplus, because you do not have any stomach pooch to lose.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Please-eat your crave foods too!
    You are underweight!!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Please-eat your crave foods too!
    You are underweight!!

^^^^^This
  • smoriarity
    Options
    Thank you guys. That's why I want to gain some muscle because I know I'm underweight. I was just curious as to if IIFYM would be a good approach. But I'll work on it, thank you!
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    smoriarity wrote: »
    I'm not trying to lose weight I'm trying to lose the last bit of fat on my stomach (aka my pooch) and trying to gain some muscle.

I took a look at your profile pic. You do not have a pooch by any means, nor do you need to lose more bodyfat.

I bet if you eat more, and lift heavy to gain that muscle, you'll get what you actually want, which is the muscle that will give you a more "toned" look.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can look good on the outside with IIFYM, but still be unhealthy on the inside. It's like putting new siding on a house that needs remodeling.

REally ??????????????

Since starting IIFYM last sept my health (on the inside) has improved...my doctor is very happy...blood pressure is normal, cholesterol is down to normal levels, iron is stabilized, b12 is great, thyroid is amazing and on the outside hair is thick and full, nails are hard and not peeling anymore...

I think you need to educate yourself...
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

REally ??????????????

Since starting IIFYM last sept my health (on the inside) has improved...my doctor is very happy...blood pressure is normal, cholesterol is down to normal levels, iron is stabilized, b12 is great, thyroid is amazing and on the outside hair is thick and full, nails are hard and not peeling anymore...

If it's not 100% berries/nuts/kale your insides will rot out. /s
  • smoriarity
    Options
    I'll definitely just look into it all more and educate myself about what my next steps should be.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

REally ??????????????

Considering the poster, I'm pretty sure he means you can do IIFYM, but if you're not doing it the way it's meant to be done ("if it fits your macros", as opposed to "if it fits your mouth"), yeah, you're not going to be healthy on the inside. That's why I posted that link to Fitting it in (giggity), so it's done the right way.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bshot1 wrote: »

REally ??????????????

Crap kale really? well I guess I will look good at my funeral after my insides rot.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Lift weights to add muscle and tone.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

REally ??????????????

I bought kale and Cheez-Its today. Do they cancel each other out?

• bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

REally ??????????????

It really depends on how many times you bring kale up in a day. If it's a lot, you should be safe.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Yes.