Runners (Experienced or beginners)

Options
Hey! So, I have been running since January of this year and I can comfortably do about 4.5 miles at a 10:15 pace/mile. I have my very first 5k this Saturday and I'm so excited! But, I haven't had a good run in a week and a half due to a pretty nasty chest cold. I attempted a run this past weekend and had to go slower (11:30 min/mile) and could only run 1.34 miles. I was SO dissapointed and now I'm terrified that when I go to run in the 5k this weekend, it's going to be awful and I won't be able to make it.

I do have plans to run this afternoon with my 5k buddy, and I was wondering what type of run I should do, that will (maybe) help me out and get me back to where I need to be?! I honestly was thinking about going for a longer, slower run but wanted to make sure that this would only help and not hinder me any further... Thanks!

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over a year and have chronic migraine syndrome. While it's not even close to a chest cold it wipes me out physically this time of year because I get headaches that last for days or even a week. Usually I struggle (or plod) through my first couple of runs after those headaches. My suggestion is to go slower and do what you can. For example, last week I recovered from a five day headache. My first run back was 2.6 miles on the trail at 15 min/mile, my second run on the street was only 2.2 miles at a measly 14:40 min/mile, and then Sunday I did a longer run of 5.3 at 12:45 min/mile, which is actually fast for me because I'm cross training daily right now and building up my cardiovascular fitness so I'm only focusing on distance and heart rate control.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You've basically done all your training to this point, so the longer slower run is the better way to go. You just need to loosen things up and remind your muscles about running.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the best thing for you is to get over the cold. Is running this afternoon the best thing for you/that?
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You should be fine to run on Saturday....it's good to rest and give your body a chance to heal itself. By all means run easy today, but not longer. I find sometimes my best runs have been after taking a break just prior to a race. Usually one tapers during the week to two weeks before a race (depending on distance). So you should be fine. Have fun most of all.
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I actually was in the same exact boat as you last week! I've been a runner all my life, but a sprinter. I started doing distance running this August and my pace is 9:33 pace/km at the moment. I had an awful chest cold for two weeks that didn't end until this past Saturday, and so on Monday I couldn't even do a 2k in 20 minutes! My body was wrecked.

My piece of advice is simply just to listen to your body! If your cold was as bad as mine - nothing you will do will get you to your normal pace by Saturday. I'd personally still go with the 5k race, but just move at the pace that my body would be able to take me. Don't think about "I have to finish at THIS time", but concentrate more on "Let's just finish!" Don't overdo it because you might be worse off after the race. Your body is your temple and you should cherish it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't start to really lose running fitness until about 10 days with no running. Endurance runners always taper (run less) in the week or so before a run so you are going to be fine for the race. I'm just getting over a cold myself (my co-workers can attest to my annoying cough) and ran a fairly easy 5K yesterday morning without ill effects. As to your not finishing at all, don't even give that a second thought. At the very worst, you may end up walking some of it, but you'll still finish. Race day adrenaline will most likely carry you through it with flying colors.

I know this is your first race so it feels like a very big deal, and to some extent it is, but a 5K is over very quickly. Just try to relax and enjoy it. There are plenty of opportunities to race again and if this one isn't as fast as you wanted it to be, well then that gives you something to shoot for at the next race. :)
  • Warren_Abrey
    Warren_Abrey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I know this is your first race so it feels like a very big deal, and to some extent it is, but a 5K is over very quickly. Just try to relax and enjoy it. There are plenty of opportunities to race again and if this one isn't as fast as you wanted it to be, well then that gives you something to shoot for at the next race. :)

This... relax, have fun - it's not about what the clock says it's about whether you are happy with it.
  • Jmoss4852
    Jmoss4852 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over a year and have chronic migraine syndrome. While it's not even close to a chest cold it wipes me out physically this time of year because I get headaches that last for days or even a week. Usually I struggle (or plod) through my first couple of runs after those headaches. My suggestion is to go slower and do what you can. For example, last week I recovered from a five day headache. My first run back was 2.6 miles on the trail at 15 min/mile, my second run on the street was only 2.2 miles at a measly 14:40 min/mile, and then Sunday I did a longer run of 5.3 at 12:45 min/mile, which is actually fast for me because I'm cross training daily right now and building up my cardiovascular fitness so I'm only focusing on distance and heart rate control.

Thanks! This gives me some hope! Lol. That sounds awful! Bless you for getting through those migraines and getting back out there!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    You've basically done all your training to this point, so the longer slower run is the better way to go. You just need to loosen things up and remind your muscles about running.

I was thinking the same, it sounds wonderful right now and lord knows my muscles could use some "loosening!" lol. Thanks!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Sounds like the best thing for you is to get over the cold. Is running this afternoon the best thing for you/that?

I guess I should have put in there, that I'm about 95% back to normal, just some sinus drainage and a random, annoying tickle in the back of my throat. :)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    Ribena145 wrote: »
    You should be fine to run on Saturday....it's good to rest and give your body a chance to heal itself. By all means run easy today, but not longer. I find sometimes my best runs have been after taking a break just prior to a race. Usually one tapers during the week to two weeks before a race (depending on distance). So you should be fine. Have fun most of all.

Thanks! I'm really thinking that the slower run would be great right now. I took a short hiatus from running when the heat got ridiculous in the summer and when I started back my running had actually improved. Maybe that will be the case today!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    I actually was in the same exact boat as you last week! I've been a runner all my life, but a sprinter. I started doing distance running this August and my pace is 9:33 pace/km at the moment. I had an awful chest cold for two weeks that didn't end until this past Saturday, and so on Monday I couldn't even do a 2k in 20 minutes! My body was wrecked.

My piece of advice is simply just to listen to your body! If your cold was as bad as mine - nothing you will do will get you to your normal pace by Saturday. I'd personally still go with the 5k race, but just move at the pace that my body would be able to take me. Don't think about "I have to finish at THIS time", but concentrate more on "Let's just finish!" Don't overdo it because you might be worse off after the race. Your body is your temple and you should cherish it!

Glad you're feeling better!! Thanks for this advice! I try to keep reminding myself that this is only my first of (hopefully) many races and that there's always time to improve! I'll definitely have to keep telling myself "Let's just finish!" Maybe I worry too much? ;)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    You don't start to really lose running fitness until about 10 days with no running. Endurance runners always taper (run less) in the week or so before a run so you are going to be fine for the race. I'm just getting over a cold myself (my co-workers can attest to my annoying cough) and ran a fairly easy 5K yesterday morning without ill effects. As to your not finishing at all, don't even give that a second thought. At the very worst, you may end up walking some of it, but you'll still finish. Race day adrenaline will most likely carry you through it with flying colors.

Oh, I know all about that annoying cough as well! Lol. Thanks for this advice! I will definitely keep that in mind for Saturday! I think I just have in my head this idea of how I want everything to go and I'm now a little frustrated that my "plan" has been thrown off. Oh, life... Haha.

I will definitely be counting on that race day adrenaline! ;)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options

This... relax, have fun - it's not about what the clock says it's about whether you are happy with it.

Thanks! Hopefully I can just let my worries go and enjoy the race!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    A long run is the most important run of the week. It should be ~20 percent of your weekly mileage for 5k training.

So, if this is pretty much the first time I've ran all week...?
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    Jmoss4852 wrote: »
    A long run is the most important run of the week. It should be ~20 percent of your weekly mileage for 5k training.

So, if this is pretty much the first time I've ran all week...?

Eat well afterwards and stretch, but finishing is not only the most important training you can do, you'll get a good mental boost from knowing you can do it, right?

Absolutely! Especially since I feel like being sick has screwed my training up!
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a runner's high and run faster then ever. Good luck and have fun. B)
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    medlaura wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll get a runner's high and run faster then ever. Good luck and have fun. B)

Thanks! :smile:
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't push your pace or distance this week - just run easy with the goal of warming up for a great stretch.
    Don't stress about your "off" run. You didn't lose much (if any) fitness that quickly. You may not have been completely over your cold.

Take it easy, don't stress, and have fun Saturday!
  • Jmoss4852
    Options
    alathIN wrote: »
    Don't push your pace or distance this week - just run easy with the goal of warming up for a great stretch.
    Don't stress about your "off" run. You didn't lose much (if any) fitness that quickly. You may not have been completely over your cold.

Take it easy, don't stress, and have fun Saturday!

Thanks! I went out for my run and it was "okay." Not the worst but not the best either. Took it slower and only did about 1.50 miles. Hopefully by Saturday, I will be back to normal! I'm so looking forward to this race!