Fitbit calorie adjustment

Options
I posted this in the fitbit forum, but it's pretty dead over there.

Hello I just got my fitbit last week and have been using it everyday and syncing with mfp at least 5 times a day. I am having a hard time understanding the calorie adjustment it's giving me on mfp. For example Sunday I walked 7136 steps and did no other exercise it gave me an adjustment of 468 calories on mfp. Monday was 6478 steps no other exercise and I got a 357 cal adjustment. Today so far I have 3957 steps and a calorie adj of 398! Can this be right??? I don't want to go over on my calories so I have just been sticking to my goal amount in mfp but if I am wondering if I should make the adjustments on calorie intake so I am not getting too few calories.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The thing is attached to you and knows how vigorous your activity has been. Some of them clock flights of stairs too, so is it possible you were more energetic with your steps on some days than others ? Running and walking would be different calories per step for example.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Those adjustments sound really high. Do you have your profile data entered correctly on both sites (gender, age, height, weight, etc.)?

If you go to MFP's My Home, Goals, what is your projected calorie burn per day? And what is Fitbit estimating a day's burn at?
  • mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't take stairs and I definitely don't run lol.
    I checked my MFP and my projected cal burn is 2100, my fitbit is 2583. Could that be why my fitbit cal adj are so big?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When you sync your Fitbit, MFP estimates your total burn for the day based on your stats up to that point. Move more, the calorie adjustment will be higher; move less, it'll be less or negative. For me right now, because I haven't moved much today, MFP has taken away 219 calories. That will change after I go on a walk this morning, just as yours will change with more or less activity than expected.
  • mlyn627
    Options
    The thing is I haven't done anything except my normal routine of getting ready for work and coming to the office and I already have a credit of 192.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Right, it's estimating from your activity that you will burn an additional 192 calories on top of what MFP says throughout the day. Are your activity levels and calorie deficits set to the same thing on both sites?
  • mlyn627
    Options
    I'm not really sure. I have my mfp set to sedentary and a custom calorie goal and I'm not sure on my fitbit. I'm going to look and see. Thanks for your help! :smile:
  • mlyn627
    Options
    I changed my mfp to lightly active and it is closer to what I've been burning on fitbit. I can't seem to find the settings on fitbit to check the calorie deficit.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That definitely seems high. Yesterday I did 11,000 steps and Fitbit only gave me an extra 430ish calories (and I'm obese). Hopefully changing it to lightly active fixes the problem!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MFP based on your activity level assumes you move at a steady rate all day long. Such as if MFP projects you will burn 2400 a day, it seems to assume that is 100/hr. But life doesn't work that way. If you woke up at 8am, you didn't burn 100/hr while you were sleeping. If you go to bed at 9pm your burn rate will slow down from what you were doing while up & moving around.

With that said, Each time you sync MFP gets a calorie burn # from Fitbit. It compares that burn # to what MFP projects for you to see if you're ahead or behind. Adjustment accordingly.

Fitbit estimates your calorie burn based on your steps, which it uses to estimate your activity level throughout the day. If I sit/sleep for 23 hours and run for 1 hr vs. on my feet though slowly for 10 hrs and sitting/sleeping for 14, I might have more total burn in the 2nd scenario. So its not just about # of steps.

One thing I suggest: after you've used the Fitbit for a week or so look back and see your total daily calorie burned #s. Use this info to set a goal for yourself on daily calories to burn. And then, make sure you hit it. Use this # to determine your calories in. You don't need to change anything in MFP as the Fitbit adjustment will do that for you. Such as if your goal is to burn 2200. You know Fitbit is an estimate, so it might not be entirely accurate. I adjust by 10%. If Fitbit says I've burned 2200 I figure I've probably burned at least 2000. Eat around 1500 for 1 pound/week loss. The extra 200 (2200-500 is 1700 rather than 1500) would be my cushion for estimation errors in Fitbit.

I'm now in maintenance and aim to burn 2000/day according to Fitbit. I eat 1800-1900. (Again leaving a little gap for estimation error.) I have goals within my day for where I want my burn to be. By 1pm, it should be 1000. By 5pm when I leave work: 1300. My BMR is almost 60/hour so at 9pm there are 3 hours left and I want to be over 1800. I know then I'll hit 2000 in a day.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have my fit bit set at sedentary - it took me some time to figure out the website as I do almost everything via the app.

I have noticed that the fit bit gives me more calories than MFP - but overall the difference isn't that great. I think it's because I have them both set on sedentary with no workouts.

I was adding in my workouts on MFP, but it was making the fit bit adjustment whacky. I think it was due to timing issues, I take my fit bit off when doing yoga or something like that, but I wasn't putting in the right time. I have decided to change that and add all my exercises to the fit bit and let it come over to MFP as one adjustment.

Honestly (don't hate on me), if I had had the fit bit before finding MFP, I probably wouldn't be using MFP. 2 separate systems that track it all versus the one that is on my wrist. But I like seeing the difference, and I really like the weekly reports fit bit sends me via email.

And if my phone hadn't broke and lost all my food data after a month of tracking it, I wouldn't be on either program. Having the data in 2 sources on the web allows me to always have the data. (until the zombies come and the web dies)
  • mlyn627
    Options
    I think I have it figured out a little better now. My mfp and fitbit were not set up the same I adjusted my mfp to be closer to my fitbit and now it seems a little more accurate. Thanks for the help!
  • SamanthaKersul
    SamanthaKersul Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just make sure if you work out that you adjust the time on MFP. That will sync with your fitbit app and will adjust your calorie allotment! You don't want the steps AND calories burned during your workout to both count otherwise you will have double counted the same movements. Once I figured that out, I was golden! No worries though, as long as you look at the time you start your workout and record it accurately in MFP {start time and duration of workout} your apps will sync :)
  • JanePublic
    JanePublic Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think this is part of an ongoing issue that diminishes the value of integrating devices with MyFitnessPal. I just did a long, intense, gnarly (like I'm in major pain right now) cardio workout. FitBit calculated my activity burn at 492calories. MyFitnessPal pulled it in, recalculated it and credited my account with 202 calories.

I've never been able to make sense of the algorithm MyFitnessPal uses. I think the way they pull in data from devices is one of their biggest weaknesses. It's really unfortunate, because MyFitnessPal is THE Best Food/Diet tracking application bar none, its fantastic.

Sometimes I disconnect or don't sync my FitBit since having the two integrated can be just silly, another example: Steep trail hike, FitBit burn 298 calories, MyFitnessPal pulls in and credits 38calories. Users are caught between the ego and battle of MyFitnessPal folks and FitBit folks over who has the best algorithm and who is controlling the way our data is managed.

Enjoy your fitbit! Good for you getting moving!
  • mlyn627
    Options
    Agreed! I am having the opposite problem, it seems that fitbit is giving me more than mfp!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    I have my fit bit set at sedentary - it took me some time to figure out the website as I do almost everything via the app.

I have noticed that the fit bit gives me more calories than MFP - but overall the difference isn't that great. I think it's because I have them both set on sedentary with no workouts.

I was adding in my workouts on MFP, but it was making the fit bit adjustment whacky. I think it was due to timing issues, I take my fit bit off when doing yoga or something like that, but I wasn't putting in the right time. I have decided to change that and add all my exercises to the fit bit and let it come over to MFP as one adjustment.

Honestly (don't hate on me), if I had had the fit bit before finding MFP, I probably wouldn't be using MFP. 2 separate systems that track it all versus the one that is on my wrist. But I like seeing the difference, and I really like the weekly reports fit bit sends me via email.

And if my phone hadn't broke and lost all my food data after a month of tracking it, I wouldn't be on either program. Having the data in 2 sources on the web allows me to always have the data. (until the zombies come and the web dies)

Make sure calorie adjustments are off on the FitBit (settings - preferences), especially if you're taking your FitBit off.

Those are really high burns. Are you logging your exercises in both places?

I only log exercises that FitBit can't measure - and I log them on MFP. So yoga, weight lifting, stretching are all logged on here, and they transfer over to FitBit automatically. Anything step related shouldn't be logged anywhere IMO - that's what the FitBit is for.
  • mlyn627
    Options
    [/quote]

Make sure calorie adjustments are off on the FitBit (settings - preferences), especially if you're taking your FitBit off.

I only log exercises that FitBit can't measure - and I log them on MFP. So yoga, weight lifting, stretching are all logged on here, and they transfer over to FitBit automatically. Anything step related shouldn't be logged anywhere IMO - that's what the FitBit is for. [/quote]

Calorie adjustment in fitbit or mfp?

No additional exercise except walking.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    mlyn627 wrote: »

I only log exercises that FitBit can't measure - and I log them on MFP. So yoga, weight lifting, stretching are all logged on here, and they transfer over to FitBit automatically. Anything step related shouldn't be logged anywhere IMO - that's what the FitBit is for. [/quote]

Calorie adjustment in fitbit or mfp?

No additional exercise except walking.[/quote]

in fitbit, and I think the poster means "calorie estimations" which is found in your Fitbit.com settings
  • mlyn627
    Options
    Oh I see it...it was already on disabled.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    On the FitBit website.

I peeked at your exercise journal - it seems like the FitBit adjustments are leveling out. It takes a while for your FitBit to get to know you - the longer you wear it, the more accurate it will become. So it looks like the first few days you got high adjustments, and now they seem to be evening out.