Anyone tried out bod pod/dexa scan body fat testing

Options
I want to know if anyone has tried getting their body fat measured with bod pod/dexa scan. I had a couple of body fat measurements using the bioimpedance scale and the caliper testing. Both gave me a body fat of around 18%. I'm 24 years old 5'3.5'' and 118 lbs medium frame and muscular. I think the body fat percentage that I got from the measurements above are not that accurate and is probably on the low side.

Please share your experiences with bod pod/dexa scan. Did they gave you a way higher reading than the caliper or bioimpendance scale? I'm somewhat scared as it might give me a BF% that will make me depressed.

Replies

• KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I want to do this. I've done some research and found they do it here at a local University. I'm interested in anyones responses that's done it as well. I only have a caliper and scale to go off of and they are a few percentages apart from each other.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    So I did the Bod Pod last week and it was easier than I thought. It also returned a better number than I was expecting which made me very happy. It was about 1% lower than my bathroom scale. They did it at the University and i was in and out within a 1/2 hour. It cost $35. I highly recommend it if you have an opportunity.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've done the home scale, the caliper and bod pod. The bod pod is easy and with it being at a local college for only $15 I will do it again but these were my results

scale: 18%
    caliper: 8%
    bodpod: 7.5%

I dont know how the scale is so off
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I did the BodPod this morning actually, and it couldn't have been easier. They just weigh you then sit you in the "egg" lol I was literally in and out in 15 minutes. They had it here at a local university in Miami. I paid $50 since I'm not a student or a member of their fitness center, but otherwise it's much cheaper for members (student $15 bucks I think, members $25...?).

Oh one thing, they just asked me what my height was and entered it, so for best results known what height you actually are (no need for vanity, it won't help you here lol). Come to think of it though they probably would have measured my height if I said I didn't know.

Admitedly it was expensive, but at the same time now I have a great baseline to work from.

BTW, scales are known to be off by as much as 8%, and the BodPod literature says that calipers can be just as inaccurate (probably with bad measuring). Anyhow, now I can just use my calipers to measure progress since I know as best I can where I stand right now.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Here's a link from the manufacturer's website to find a location that has it:

http://www.cosmed.com/locator
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I did a camparison between measuring, my scale's scan, and a caliper test for BF%. All were within just a copule percent, so I would be willing to bet the bodpod's and such would be about the same. If it is important to you to have a bit more accruate reading then go for it. If not, you can know you BF% where-abouts with any of the other three measures.

Cheers
  • Actravels
    Options
    I had a 10% difference between an inbody Bioimpedence test and the BodPod. I thought they inbody was a bit low but there is no way the BodPod was right. A little frustrated to say the least.
  • dmonsellier
    Options
    Hi All,

A new equipement called the Biody Xpert zm from Nutrisvelt provide all information you all dream to know about. (Fat mass, water mass, muscles mass, calories intake based on the person age, sex, physical activity (professional or non-athletic), weight, high are provide in less than 5second directly via bluetooth) also nutritional software program is also available from this equipment and all the information will be tailor made from the results of your own body composition test. But lets stop to much trying to explain it all and check the website for more information. www.nutrisvelt.co.uk

Published in France in May 2014 the Biody Xpert been in place since 2003 under the BioZM.

Study vs DEXA show how precis each test are and cost effective the Biody Xpert is.

The Biody Xpert is now arriving in the UK market from this month and in the next few month it will be available in London and others places all over UK. At the moment few fitness club in the Channel Island already got it.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've had several DEXAs this year, and each time the DEXA scan comes back lower than what the hand held bodyfat tester i have says. usually the handheld has me about 3-4% higher than the DEXA.

thought it would be the other way around, but nope. However, the handheld device can easily be screwed with, due to current hydration levels so it's probably less accurate than the DEXA
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've had several DEXAs this year, and each time the DEXA scan comes back lower than what the hand held bodyfat tester i have says. usually the handheld has me about 3-4% higher than the DEXA.

thought it would be the other way around, but nope. However, the handheld device can easily be screwed with, due to current hydration levels so it's probably less accurate than the DEXA

I've had 4 hydros and one dexa over the last year, and will be doing a dexa + hydro on the same day sometime in the next few weeks. Never used a handheld tester, but I have an older electrical impedance scale. The scale has routinely been 5%+ and sometimes closer to 10% higher than the hydros and dexa. I've never even found the impedance device (my own scale, at least) useful for tracking trends -- not any better than weight on the scale at least.

Also: zombie thread. >:)

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DXA scan was awesome. Gave a lot of great data.
    - Body weight
    - lbm
    - bf%
    - Fat distribution
    - bone density

I strongly suggest it for anyone who likes data and gives a rip about their bodies.